Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

How to type euro sign € in CKSD ?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [Creating Keepsakes Scrapbook Designer] >> General Functionality >> How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 10/31/2005 9:16:16 AM   
steph

I can't type it or even import it from word... Do you have the solution? Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 10/31/2005 9:39:58 AM   
PamE

Characters are font specific. Have you tried using the Character Map to insert it? I don't use the Euro character so I have no personal experience. Select your Windows Start button and navigate to: All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map. Give that a try.

(in reply to steph)
Post #: 2
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 10/31/2005 11:14:13 AM   
steph

Thank you. I don't have character map in my windows 98 version... so

(in reply to PamE)
Post #: 3
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 10/31/2005 3:50:54 PM   
PamE

If it's not there, that means it just isn't installed. You can install it. Open the Windows Control Panel. Select Add/Remove Programs. Use the Add/Remove Windows Components along the left of that window. You will find you can install the Character Map from the Accessories area.

< Message edited by PamE -- 10/31/2005 3:51:53 PM >

(in reply to steph)
Post #: 4
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/1/2005 4:55:21 AM   
steph

Thank you Pam.
I will try and come back to you.
I hope it will work...

(in reply to steph)
Post #: 5
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/1/2005 7:10:35 AM   
steph

Pam,
It took me a while to install it but here I am with Character Map in Accesories. Still, I can not have it in CKSD.
By the way, I found another weird thing trying to use Symbols in the Add Menu. I have all the symbols to choose from. I click on one (for example a triangle). In the right corner, in the square window it shows me another sign. Well I clicked OK and then on my project, I get a different sign again... It's sound a tricky gessing game!
Any suggestion on that ''magic''?

(in reply to steph)
Post #: 6
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/1/2005 8:23:13 AM   
PamE

It sounds like something is messed up somewhere. Try restarting your computer. When I create a text box and insert the man and woman symbols the correct ones are inserted. When I select the trademark symbol the "TM" is inserted correctly.

Are you in the US? If not, try changing your computer's regional settings (See the Windows Control Panel) to English (United States) and let me know of the symbols work better for you with it.

(in reply to steph)
Post #: 7
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/1/2005 10:52:16 AM   
lindarobin

quote:

ORIGINAL: steph

I can't type it or even import it from word...

I tried it and have the same problem. I couldn't find it in my Character Map, but as a last resort, you can use this image file.

I created a GIF with transparent background. It's black, so I guess you are stuck with that colour unless you can photo-edit it.

A more flexible option would be to type a "C" and then draw two little lines through it. Or type a "=" and place it over the "C". That way you can easily change its colour.

Of course, I do hope there is a way to simply type in the euro sign.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 11/1/2005 10:59:19 AM >

(in reply to steph)
Post #: 8
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/1/2005 12:59:01 PM   
PamE

I'm unable to find that Euro sign on my computer anywhere.

However, I did manage to c/p her sign from the title of her discussion (thread) and paste it into Word. It pastes fine there. (Word reports it's the verdana font.) However, it won't paste into CKS or Print Shop 21.

Steph, how did you get the euro sign to appear in your posts (title of discussion) on these forums? Did you use a keyboard key strokes or paste it in from somewhere or what?

< Message edited by PamE -- 11/1/2005 1:00:13 PM >

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 9
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/1/2005 4:02:41 PM   
PamE

I'm beginning to feel this is a quirk in the Broderbund publishing titles. For example, I can get the symbol to paste from these forums into most other programs, including Word, Print Artist, Hallmark Card Studio, Notepad, NoteTab, Wordpad, etc. It all works fine. I sure can't get it to paste in some of the Broderbund titles I have, e.g. PrintMaster 16, Print Shop 21, or Creating Keepsakes, though. (It does paste into the Tasks section of Calendar Creator and probably other areas that I haven't checked.)

You might want to mention your troubles in the Feedback subfolder of these forums, here: http://forums.encoreusa.com/tt.asp?forumid=92

Perhaps it's something they'll consider addressing in the future.

(in reply to steph)
Post #: 10
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/1/2005 4:42:02 PM   
lindarobin

Hi, Pam! I got the same results as you. My other programs show that symbol (from cut and paste) in many of the fonts I tried. However, no luck in the Broderbund programs.

Steph, you'll just have to type "C" and "=" on top of it.

(in reply to PamE)
Post #: 11
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/1/2005 6:41:18 PM   
Midge

OK, here's another puzzler for y'all,

The ALT code for the Euro symbol is ALT 0128, which produces this image -

ALT 0128 can be used to place the Euro symbol in the "Enter Headline Text Here" box for Headline Text in Print Shop 21. But, an unremoveable frame is automatically inserted instead of the Euro symbol.

It's easy enough to produce the Euro symbol in MSWord by way of ALT 0128; but, it isn't possible to Copy/Paste the image to Print Shop 21.

Any ideas about how to use ALT 0128 in a program that can produce an image that can be Copied then Pasted into a Broderbund program?

< Message edited by Midge -- 11/1/2005 6:46:07 PM >

Never say "Never" - there's always an exception to every rule

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 12
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/1/2005 7:33:44 PM   
Midge

I've found a loophole!

In Print Shop 21, I can create the Euro symbol by clicking on 'Custom Graphics' in the left toolbar, then clicking on 'Insert Initial Cap' in the menu that drops down. When the 'Create an Initial Cap' window opens, I select Arial for the font (other fonts will work, but I chose this font because it is a commonly used font). I then click and drag to highlight the letter in the 'Enter Letter' box. Then, I do an ALT 0128 to put the Euro Symbol in the box. After I click on OK, I have to size and position the box for the Euro symbol. And, the symbol is a bit rough around the edges; but, at least it's there. With a little experimentation, it should be possible to find a font that creates a smoother symbol. Courier New doesn't look too bad.

In PrintMaster 16, I can create the Euro symbol in much the same manner as in Print Shop 21. But, in PrintMaster 16, I have to click on 'Add or Edit Text' in the left toolbar, then select 'Add Decorative Letter' in the menu that drops down.

So, does CKSD offer either the 'Insert Initial Cap' option or the 'Add Decorative Letter' option?

< Message edited by Midge -- 11/1/2005 7:46:15 PM >

(in reply to Midge)
Post #: 13
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/1/2005 8:08:39 PM   
Midge

Correction to my earlier post about the Euro symbol in Print Shop's Headline text:

Where I said, "an unremoveable frame is automatically inserted instead of the Euro symbol," it didn't occur to me at that time that the problem was the default NewZurica font for Headline text. But, when I finally wised up and tried it with a different font, I found that the Euro Symbol can be put in Headline text if you first click in the circle next to Customize, then select a workable font. And, you can even add numeric characters after the Euro symbol in the Headline text. So, Headline text might be preferable to Print Shop 21 'Insert Initial Cap' text or the PrintMaster 16 'Add Decorative Letter' text, especially since the symbol in the Headline text looked much smoother to me than the symbol in either the Print Shop 21 'Insert Initial Cap' text or the PrintMaster 16 'Add Decorative Letter' text.

But, I did discover that the symbol, by itself in the Headline text box, cannot always be reduced to a very small size. Making it real small can cause the symbol in the box to be replaced with a grey rectangle. The symbol will return, though, if the box is enlarged.

< Message edited by Midge -- 11/1/2005 8:15:22 PM >

(in reply to Midge)
Post #: 14
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/1/2005 8:51:47 PM   
PamE

Thanks Lindarobin and Midge for stopping by and offering further clues.

Good thing for loopholes and thinking outside the box. I can get the Euro character to appear by using the Custom Graphics > Seal command from the Add menu at the top of the screen. Alt+0128 works there. It also works within the Journal in a Shape and Decorative Letter text tools.

Thanks Midge for inspiring the creativity to get around this problem. I think I'd stick with the Decorative Letter text tool to get around this problem. It works well! Just type Alt+0128 into the "Enter Letter" box. Next change the font to Arial or Verdana or some other font that is assigns this character.

< Message edited by PamE -- 11/1/2005 8:56:22 PM >

(in reply to Midge)
Post #: 15
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/1/2005 9:02:32 PM   
lindarobin

Excellent research, Midge and Pam! I am able to duplicate Midge's success at inserting a euro symbol into CKSD.

It is really important to remember what Pam said about certain symbols being font specific, as the euro symbol doesn't appear in a lot of "fun" fonts, but can easily be found in the common business fonts such as Arial and Times New Roman.

To insert the euro into CKSD, I first opened the character map and did a euro search. (Earlier, I said I couldn't find it because I didn't know about the search feature.) I copied the euro into the clipboard. Then in CKSD, I clicked on Text Tools and then Decorative Numbers (Decorative Letters and Custom Titles works just as well) Change the font to Arial and paste the symbol into the box.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Midge)
Post #: 16
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/1/2005 9:18:01 PM   
lindarobin

Cool! Made in Custom Titles (CKSD's lingo for Headlines) with Bauhaus font.

I still think it's strange that we can insert it practically everywhere EXCEPT a plain text box!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 11/1/2005 9:24:59 PM >

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 17
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/4/2005 6:18:51 AM   
steph

Whaou!!!
I'm very impressed!
I was to busy to have my flyers done for a big event I'm organising for our school and I didn't check the forum...
I was not expecting so many answers ... and such creativity!
Thanks to you all.
I will print those out to have some extra work for the WE and to do a step by step version to try to have this € (by the way I have it by pressing Ctrl Alt and the letter E and Yes I live in Europe exactly in France).

Talk to you soon!

Stéph

(in reply to steph)
Post #: 18
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/4/2005 11:59:20 AM   
steph

OK, I was to excited to try all your advice so I didn't wait 'till the WE...
It works fine on Decorative Letters and so on. So I will use it this way. Now, I completly agree with Lindarobin: sounds strange that we can't insert it in a plain text box.

Now that I have discover a great team of bright women who can solve problems, could you look closely at my ''symbol case''!!! I'm sure you'll come out with a solution!
I checked my computer's regional settings which is English United States.

When I want to insert a symbol in a text box, I only get one kind of grid. PamE, there is no man or woman on it. Where did you get those? I've read all the subject in the Help Menu with no Help at all. It's like all the symbols are mixed up. How do you do journaling with insert symbols for example?

(in reply to steph)
Post #: 19
RE: How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? - 11/4/2005 6:55:49 PM   
PamE

I was talking about the symbols within the Character Map. No matter which character I picked, that is the one that inserted. It didn't insert something different, like you described.

(in reply to steph)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [Creating Keepsakes Scrapbook Designer] >> General Functionality >> How to type euro sign € in CKSD ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4