Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM General Functionality >> Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics - 5/17/2007 7:51:38 AM   
Rick13

In creating a card I imported a picture from my Windows XP picture file. There were three people in the picture so I cropped out the two I didn't want. I then inserted the cropped picture on my card.
To my surprise, when I rechecked the original picture in my Windows picture file, I discovered that the Printmaster 16 program had gone into my Windows picture file and cropped that picture too!! I did not want my original picture changed in any way and had no idea that the Printmaster 16 program would invade another existing file on my computer and make graphic changes to it.
There is no way for me to restore that original.
Why is the Printmaster invading another existing Windows file and making changes to it and how do I prevent it?

Thank you.

Rick

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 4:34:07 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics - 5/17/2007 9:52:36 AM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick13
...Why is the Printmaster invading another existing Windows file and making changes to it and how do I prevent it?

I tried to duplicate your problem in three different Broderbund programs and version numbers. The problem did not occur. When importing a file and cropping it the cropped picture appears in my project and the original file is untouched.

Please copy an image file and name it "test.jpg". Import it into a project. Select it and crop it. Is there a point where you are asked to save? I have an option to Save As, but I can skip it if I don't want a new, separate file of just the cropped image.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 4:34:16 PM >

(in reply to Rick13)
Post #: 2
RE: Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics - 5/17/2007 10:26:25 AM   
Rick13

Thank you for your response. I just tried it again with another picture from my picture file, and it did the very same thing....it altered the original again. Fortuntely, I used a picture that was expendable.

I import the original, click on the "edit graphic" icon, crop it, and then hit save. That's all I'm doing and it is going back into my private picture file that exist entirely separately from the Printmaster program, and changing the original too.

What do I do to stop this?

Rick

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 4:34:28 PM >

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics - 5/17/2007 12:47:50 PM   
Brandy redux

quote:

What do I do to stop this?

Hi Rick,

When you hit save, make sure that you select a different name for the cropped graphic. If you don't select a different name for the graphic, the cropped graphic will be saved over the top of the original (uncropped) graphic.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 4:34:41 PM >

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to Rick13)
Post #: 4
RE: Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics - 5/17/2007 1:27:43 PM   
Rick13

Thanks Brandy.
In other words, when I am finished editing the imported graphic, I need to hit "save as", instead of just "save", and then rename the graphic. Correct?

Surely this has happened to others. Printmaster needs to include a warning that the original graphic will be altered too unless the graphic is renamed under "save as."

Sure hated to lose that first original picture.

Rick

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 4:34:51 PM >

(in reply to Brandy redux)
Post #: 5
RE: Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics - 5/17/2007 1:57:10 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi Rick,

Yes, if you are saving the cropped graphic to the same folder where the ORIGINAL (uncropped) graphic is stored, you MUST save the cropped graphic with a different name. If you don't, the cropped graphic will overwrite the ORIGINAL (uncropped) graphic. That is because two files with exactly the same name cannot exist in the same folder (this is a long-standing rule in Windows for all software apps). However, if you are saving the cropped graphic to a different folder than the folder where the ORIGINAL (uncropped) graphic is stored, you do not have to save the cropped graphic with a different name - because the end result would be to two different graphic images in two different folders - but with the same name. As to warning users about this 'gotcha', some software apps do provide a warning and some do not.

However, since you indicated that you are seeing both a "save" option and a "save as" option, and since you indicated in an earlier message that you are clicking on the "edit graphic" icon, we may not be on the same page.

In my PrintMaster Platinum 16, I would click on the "Edit Photo" icon - because there is no "Edit Graphic" icon in the left toolbar of my PrintMaster.

And, after I click on the "Edit Photo" icon, the Photo Workshop opens. After I crop the image in the Photo Workshop, the only save option that I see is "Save As". However, when I click on that "Save As" option, the Save As window that opens will list the ORIGINAL name of the graphic in the File Name box.

In my case, though, if I were to save the graphic with the ORIGINAL name, it would not overwrite the ORIGINAL (uncropped) graphic. That is because I don't keep my original graphics in the \My Documents\My Pictures folder - which is the default save folder for graphics in the newer versions of PrintMaster. Instead, I keep my original graphics in an \Art folder that is not part of the \My Documents folder. So, when I save the cropped graphic to the default PrintMaster folder, the saved graphic is actually being saved in a completely different folder from the ORIGINAL (uncropped) graphic.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 4:34:58 PM >

For More Help:

(in reply to Rick13)
Post #: 6
RE: Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics - 5/17/2007 2:59:31 PM   
ellengard

I guess there must be some subtle differences in our PrintMaster programs. I have to go out of my way to overwrite my original image file. I crop, I click OK. It's done. Nothing happens to the file in its original location.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 4:35:09 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics - 5/17/2007 3:39:10 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi ellengard,

The difference is that Rick said he would 'hit save' after cropping the image. Since you said you 'click OK' after cropping the image, the only thing that happens is that your cropped image is placed on the workspace. And, that's probably what Rick should be doing (click OK INSTEAD OF hit save). But, since Rick is hitting save, the cropped image will be saved to the hard drive. Of course, after Rick hits save, he's going to also have to click OK if he wants the cropped image to be placed on the workspace.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 4:35:20 PM >

For More Help:

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 8
RE: Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics - 5/17/2007 4:15:13 PM   
Rick13

Brandy and Ellengard,

There is no "OK" option for me to click on. This is the Printmaster Platinum 16 version. When I "import" the image and do whatever editing I want, the only options are "save as", "save", "send online" or "close." I looked for an "OK" when I first started importing because my older version of Printmaster had that. This one doesn't.

I'm not very skilled in computer technology and terms and I'm learning all the time. I was under the mistaken impression that when I "imported" an image from another folder that a copy was being made of the original image and that copy was then "imported" to the new "My Art and Photos" folder. I had the impression that I was then working with my "imported" image in a totally separate folder. Apparently not.

I may be off track here but it seems to me that the term "imported" is misleading in this case. At least it is to someone who takes a more common interpretation of the word. Apparently what is happening is that the Printmaster program is simply opening up "My Document/My Pictures" folder and working on the original and calling it an imported image, and I thought it was an imported image since it was then sitting in "My Art and Photos" folder and was being edited under "Photo Workshop."

The only icon I have to get into the "Photo Workshop" shows "edit graphic."

So, when I had the options to "save" or "save as" I had assumed that I was saving an "imported" image that was separate from the original folder. Obviously that is not the case.

Rick

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 4:35:33 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics - 5/17/2007 5:38:06 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi Rick,

I am also using PrintMaster Platinum 16. So, you and I should be seeing EXACTLY the same thing.

The main reason why you and I don't seem to be on the same page may be that we are apparently using different options.

Where you said, 'The only icon I have to get into the "Photo Workshop" shows "edit graphic," that would have to mean that you are selecting "Edit Graphic" from the Edit menu at the top of the screen. I, on the other hand, have been selecting the "Edit Photo" option in the toolbar on the left side of the screen. Both options will cause the Photo Workshop to open.

Since there is no "OK" option for you to click on, that *might* mean that you are not saving the cropped image in the Photo Workshop (which I had assumed that you were doing). When I open the Photo Workshop, the buttons that I see at the bottom of the Photo Workshop window are (from left to right) Undo All, Send Online, Save As, OK, Cancel, Help. And, even though the Undo All and OK buttons are greyed out when the Photo Workshop first opens, those buttons will not be greyed out after I edit the image.

Since I do not see a Save or Close option on the Photo Workshop, I am going to need to know exactly where you are seeing those options. Are you seeing those options after you click on File in the menubar (in the File menu, the only Close options you should see are Close Project and Close All and the only Save options you should see are Save Project, Save As and Save As PDF)? If you are not seeing those options in the File menu, where are you seeing those options? If you are seeing those options on a window, exactly what name is displayed in the upper left corner of that window.

As to your comments about "imported" images, this is how importing works in PrintMaster. When an image is imported, ONLY a thumbnail of that image is placed in the "My Art and Photos" folder. Then, PrintMaster does nothing more than create a 'pointer' which records the path to the location of the original file that contains the imported image. When you select that thumbnail image from the "My Art and Photos" folder, PrintMaster checks the 'pointer', goes to the recorded path, accesses the original file and places the image on the workspace. So, if you were to import an image then move the original file to a different location, PrintMaster would not be able to access the original file or place the image on the workspace (because the file would no longer be in the original path). Although some older software apps have created separate folders for imported images, PrintMaster does not do that.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 4:35:41 PM >

For More Help:

(in reply to Rick13)
Post #: 10
RE: Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics - 5/17/2007 6:39:44 PM   
Rick13

Hi Brandy,
This is a bit puzzling. We may have the same Printmaster version but we are seeing different versions of the Photo Workshop. I do not have a toolbar on the left side of the screen. I have only two ways to get into the Photo Workshop from "My Art and Photos." One is the "edit graphic" icon and the other is to click on "edit" on the top and choose the "Photo Workshop" option.

Either way I get into it, there is no "OK" option. It is not there grayed out or otherwise. Either way I get into the Photo Workshop I see the following options on the bottom: Undo All, Send Online, Save As, Save, Close and Help.
No "OK" anywhere.

I don't know what else to say Brandy. That's what is showing up on my Photo Workshop and it shows either way I access it.

Puzzled,
Rick

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 4:35:51 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics - 5/17/2007 7:19:55 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick13
...the only options are "save as", "save", "send online" or "close."

I don't have these.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brandy redux
... the buttons that I see at the bottom of the Photo Workshop window are (from left to right) Undo All, Send Online, Save As, OK, Cancel, Help.

Yes, that is what I have.

Rick, I wonder if you have the international version of PM16. I think Brandy and I have the U.S./Canadian version.

Anyhow, you now know that "save as" is what you want to do.

I made a similar mistake when I first used MS Paint. I imported a photo, cropped it and saved. Ooops. Original gone forever.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 4:36:01 PM >

(in reply to Rick13)
Post #: 12
RE: Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics - 5/17/2007 7:30:37 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi Rick,

When I mentioned the toolbar on the left side of the screen, I was referring to a toolbar on the left side of the workspace where the open PrintMaster project is displayed. You should see the toolbar on the left side of the screen AFTER you open PrintMaster but BEFORE you open either the Photo Workshop or the Art Gallery.

And, when I mentioned the toolbar on the left side of the screen, I assumed that you were opening the Photo Workshop AFTER you placed the imported graphic on the workspace. If you are opening the imported graphics directly from "My Art and Photos," there will not be a left toolbar. And, in this case, we will be seeing the same thing - because, on that Photo Workshop, I can also select the "edit graphic" icon or click on "edit" on the top and choose the "Photo Workshop" option. I can also right click on a thumbnail image and select Photo Workshop from the menu that drops down.

And, now that I know exactly which Photo Workshop you are using, everything makes perfect sense. Since I have never opened the Photo WorkShop from the "My Art and Photos" tab of the Art Gallery (I always place the imported graphic on the workspace before opening the Photo Workshop), I was not aware that when the Photo Workshop is opened from the "My Art and Photos" tab there would be different options. But, I now see that that Photo Workshop offers (from left to right) Undo All, Send Online, Save As, Save, Close, Help.

And, I now know why you don't see an OK button on that Photo Workshop. The only purpose of the OK button on the Photo Workshop is to place the edited image back on the workspace - to replace the image that was originally placed on the workspace. So, if you don't place an image on the workspace before opening the Photo Workshop, there will be no OK button because there will be no image to be replaced on the workspace.

As to the Save and Save As options on the Photo Workshop that is opened from the "My Art and Photos" tab:

If you click on "Save", the edited image will automatically overwrite the original image (without giving you an option to save the edited image with a different name).

If you want to save the edited image with a different name, you MUST select the "Save As" option. When you select the "Save As" option, a window will open to allow you to select the folder where the edited image will be saved AND to select a different name for the edited image.

There is one thing you'll want to pay close attention to when you use the "Save As" option. As I said before, the default save folder is \My Documents\My Pictures. And, if you don't change that folder, that is where PrintMaster will save the edited image. So, if you don't want the edited images to be saved in the default folder, you will want to be sure to select a different folder.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 4:36:09 PM >

For More Help:

(in reply to Rick13)
Post #: 13
RE: Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics - 5/17/2007 8:42:35 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brandy redux
... I was not aware that when the Photo Workshop is opened from the "My Art and Photos" tab there would be different options. But, I now see that that Photo Workshop offers (from left to right) Undo All, Send Online, Save As, Save, Close, Help.

Ah, so, thank you, Brandy, I did not know that. I always open a project first, then add my graphics. Then I select the graphic I want cropped. I do believe I prefer it this way, too, as the option to click OK makes things simpler.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 4:36:21 PM >

Post #: 14
RE: Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics - 5/17/2007 9:06:39 PM   
Brandy redux

You are very welcome, ellengard,

And, I'd have to agree that the option to click OK makes things simpler.

When I crop a graphic in PrintMaster, I don't normally have a need to use that same cropped graphic in other projects. So, there's usually no need to save that cropped graphic.

But, isn't it fun that we can learn so many things on this forum from other users who think and do things differently than we do?

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 4:36:29 PM >

For More Help:

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM General Functionality >> Printmaster 16 Platinum Cropping Graphics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4