Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

PhotoCards:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> PhotoCards: Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PhotoCards: - 11/17/2007 7:52:31 AM   
alihart29

I bought this program to be able to create holiday photocards and then print them onto 4x6 photo paper. I don't see that as an option in the Print Shop 22. Did I buy the wrong software???? I only see 1/2 fold cards, Avery stuff ect.. ??

HELP! I have been at this for wayyyyyy to many hours. OH! Also, I created my template within the Greeting Cards/Photocard section- when you open it - it shows it being 4x6. Then I saved it - and went to re-open to show my husband and it saved it as a half fold and screwed it all up.

Thanks,
Alicia
Post #: 1
RE: PhotoCards: - 11/17/2007 12:44:12 PM   
lindarobin

PrintMaster defines greeting cards (with or without photos) as a half-fold, double sided project.

If your plan is to print single-sided 4x6 sheets, you are using the wrong project type. Instead, go to Printer Setup and change the paper size to 4 wide, 6 high. Then start a new blank page project. If there were design elements that you liked in the photocard project, simply copy and paste them into your blank page project.

(in reply to alihart29)
Post #: 2
RE: PhotoCards: - 11/18/2007 8:26:05 AM   
alihart29

Thanks, I'll have to try it. I tried to setup my new printer to my laptop (wireless) and for some reason it is not reading it so I can't choose the 4 x 6 at this time. I have to call HP and find out why it isn't being seen on my network.

I just thought that this program would have it as a template. To me, it seems implied by its advertisement on the front of the box. What I was looking for was something NON-manual (copying & pasting into blank templates).

Alicia

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 3
RE: PhotoCards: - 11/18/2007 10:23:31 AM   
lindarobin

The box is correct. There are plenty of templates for photocards. Photocards are half-fold cards with a photo on the front of the card.

What you are doing is NOT a photocard by desktop publishing definition. People new to the desktop publishing industry often have their own ideas about what certain words mean. The same thing happens in medicine, law, computer science, etc.

(in reply to alihart29)
Post #: 4
RE: PhotoCards: - 11/18/2007 12:41:12 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi lindarobin,

I've just made an interesting discovery about photocards which might explain the difference of opinion about what constitutes a photocard. And, I was, actually, quite surprised by my discovery.

My original thought was that you were 'on the money' when you said, "What you are doing is NOT a photocard by desktop publishing definition." So, I thought I'd find some non-Broderbund examples which showed that Print Shop's representation of photocards is pretty standard.

However, a Google search revealed several places on the Internet where Photo Cards and Photo Greeting Cards are represented as single-sided (and, possibly, on occasion, double-sided) projects printed on typical photo-size paper (i.e. 4"x 6", 4" x 8", 5" x 7").

Does that mean, then, that the process used to create the photo cards offered on those web sites is not, technically, a desktop publishing process? Or, is it simply a different interpretation of the term 'photocard'?

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 10/10/2010 6:05:28 PM >

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 5
RE: PhotoCards: - 11/18/2007 4:08:02 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brandy redux
...Does that mean, then, that the process used to create the photo cards offered on those web sites is not, technically, a desktop publishing process?

Yes, that is correct. Those are sites that offer photo developing, using the same chemical process as with printing photos from film negatives. (The ones that are not doing photo developing can be called printers/desktop publishers.) Originally, they only did typical photo sizes i.e. 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10. As the popularity of digital photography took off, they started to offer extras such as borders, text and sepia colorizing. But they were still 4x6 prints. Because your photo could now have a border frame and text, some people began to call them photo "cards". But technically, they are not cards. Recently, these sites began offering real cards, that is, a folded card with your photo on the front panel, a sentiment on the inside, and the store's info printed on the back panel.

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 11/18/2007 4:21:28 PM >

(in reply to Brandy redux)
Post #: 6
RE: PhotoCards: - 11/18/2007 4:42:02 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

... print them onto 4x6 photo paper...

When Alicia said this, we in the desktop publishing business interpret this as single-sided printing onto custom paper.

Some postcards are 4x6 size, too, and some people could erroneously think that a postcard project would do what Alicia wants.

However, we know that a postcard project is a double-sided, multi-up project, usually 2 per sheet, so using 4x6 paper for a postcard project would be completely inappropriate. The one exception is PrintShop's "4x6 post card stock" which is a double-sided project so I would still recommend a blank page project with the printer set for 4x6 paper.

(in reply to Brandy redux)
Post #: 7
RE: PhotoCards: - 11/18/2007 4:52:33 PM   
Brandy redux

Thanks lindarobin,

That's definitely good to know.

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> PhotoCards: Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4