Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

VISTA Problem - Prints Four Copies when I ask for Two!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Printing Specific Issues >> VISTA Problem - Prints Four Copies when I ask for Two! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
VISTA Problem - Prints Four Copies when I ask for Two! - 12/4/2007 8:14:12 PM   
adamsr2

I have Print Shop 21, Vista Premium and a HP Deskjet 970Cse. Print Shop has suddenly started printing double of what I ask for. If I ask for two copies, it prints four. The only exception is when I ask for one copy, which results in one copy.

I have tried several Print Shop files. I tried repairing Print Shop. Other programs print the correct number of documents. Print Shop has worked fine on Vista for about a year.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 11/1/2011 4:08:34 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Prints Four Copies when I ask for Two! - 12/9/2007 6:43:04 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi adamsr2,

When I checked the HP web site, I discovered that there is only one available Vista printer driver for your HP Deskjet 970Cse. And, on that HP web site, where it provides instructions for installing the only available Vista printer driver, it says - at the very bottom of the page - that "You might find that some of the advanced features are no longer available when using this basic driver. You can upgrade to an HP product that is fully compatible with Windows Vista if the advanced features are necessary." So, the HP Deskjet 970Cse printer is not fully compatible with Windows Vista. And, when you match that with the fact that neither Print Shop 21 nor Print Shop 22 are fully compatible with Windows Vista, either, that's pretty much a 'Double Whammy'.

Of course, that doesn't explain why everything worked well for you for a year and the problem started only 3 days before you posted here (possibly the result of some automatic update or software install). But, I've made an interesting discovery on my Vista laptop - and with Print Shop 22 - which also points to Vista. When I finally got around to installing a printer on my new Vista laptop, I installed a Canon Inkjet i475D - which also has only one available Vista printer driver. And, my Canon printer is also squaring the number of requested copies.

So, bottom line, I think, is that the quickest fix would probably be to switch to a printer that is fully compatible with WinVista. And, you've already proven that attaching your Vista laptop to a different printer will solve the problem. Cheapest fix would probably be to put only the number of sheets of paper that you actually want to print into the printer at one time. Then, just cancel the print when the message appears about the paper not being loaded correctly.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 3/29/2009 6:14:00 PM >

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com
Post #: 2
RE: Prints Four Copies when I ask for Two! - 12/10/2007 8:54:45 AM   
adamsr2

That's fascinating that you had the same problem! I think you are correct it is two sets of software that are not fully Vista compatible.

Upon even further investigation, I'm now guessing that my printer has always printed the square of the number requested. I went back and looked at the Print Shop jobs I've saved this year. As best as I can remember, only one of them required printing of more than one copy. So, the problem never came up. That one that did requre 8 copies was six months ago. I think I remember that the printer was what I called then a "runaway printer". That's because as I know now, it wanted to print 64 copies. So, I'm guessing I've had that problem since installing Vista and it just didn't come up.

So, I'll just live with it. I'll let you know if Hewlett Packard comes up with any ideas. Thanks again!

(in reply to Brandy redux)
Post #: 3
RE: Prints Four Copies when I ask for Two! - 12/10/2007 1:27:02 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi adamsr2,

It does make sense that your printer has always printed the square of the number requested. And, if the problem has always existed, that's actually a time saver because it does eliminate the need to try to figure out why the problem just started recently.

As to whether or not HP will come up with any ideas, I think it's doubtful. I experienced so many problems with HP printers after WinXP was released that I stopped buying HP printers altogether. My printer of choice is now Epson. But, even though Epson has released an updated Vista driver for my newer Epson Stylus Photo R340 printer, Epson hasn't released an updated Vista printer driver for my older Epson Style C86 printer. So, my guess is that printer manufacturers, like software manufacturers, will provide updated drivers/patches for only their most recent products.

For More Help:

(in reply to adamsr2)
Post #: 4
RE: Prints Four Copies when I ask for Two! - 12/10/2007 1:42:47 PM   
adamsr2

Yes, you were right about HP. They just answered me that I don't have a "full featured" driver. I knew that, but I figured getting the correct number of copies correct was not an "advanced feature". But apparently it is. Mystery solved.

Thanks again...

(in reply to Brandy redux)
Post #: 5
RE: Prints Four Copies when I ask for Two! - 12/10/2007 1:51:06 PM   
Brandy redux

Definitely good to know adamsr2,

And, Thanks for reporting back.

For More Help:

(in reply to adamsr2)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Printing Specific Issues >> VISTA Problem - Prints Four Copies when I ask for Two! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4