Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

How can I make a 4x6 or 5x7 layout?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> How can I make a 4x6 or 5x7 layout? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How can I make a 4x6 or 5x7 layout? - 6/14/2010 11:10:55 AM   
kayleaner@yahoo.com

I am running Print Shop 23 Deluxe
My question is, how can I make a 5x7 or 4x6 one sided project? I have looked in the help section and it tells me to make my own paper stock. When I do this I can make the 5x7 but only horizontal because it has to be done in the postcard stock. I would like to have the option to make it a vertical or horizontal depending on what I am needing it for. Then when I want to do a 4x6 it tells me I can only do this in a note card. Then when I do it, it has a front back and inside as well. I am simply wanting to open a new project and make it a 5x7 or 4x6 so I can export it and have it printed at say Costco or Walmart photo centers. Can anyone help me out? When I ordered this software I was told this could be done and they directed me to the help section. But I can't find it.

Thanks

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 7/25/2010 3:42:11 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: How can I make a 4x6 or 5x7 layout? - 6/14/2010 4:34:09 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: kayleaner@yahoo.com
...have it printed at say Costco or Walmart photo centers.

I know exactly what you want here: uploadable, high resolution JPGs for 4x6 or 5x7 printing at any digital photo developing store.

You do not need any custom sized papers. Here are the instructions for a picture that will print 6 inches wide, 4 inches high.

Open a blank page wide project. Add a white, outlined rectangle and size it to exactly 10.5 x 7 (this is the same proportion as 6x4).

Add all your design elements within the rectangle. Select all and group. File| Export As... (the group, not the project) change the resolution to 300 dpi, and choose JPG.

Now open your JPG with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (or whatever program you use to view your digital camera JPGs). So long as your elements did not go outside the rectangle, you won't need to crop this JPG.

This same JPG can be used for a 5x7 print, but please note that Costco, Walmart et al will crop the sides to make it fit 5x7 proportion. You can preview and move the crop window using their upload program's crop feature.

Tip: Always assume a bit of the edge will be cropped off during their print and cut process. Therefore, keep important things well within the edge i.e. text or someone's head.

An example of using this method with a tall blank page project: (JPG resampled to web size - original is too big to upload to this forum)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 7/25/2010 3:42:17 PM >

(in reply to kayleaner@yahoo.com)
Post #: 2
RE: How can I make a 4x6 or 5x7 layout? - 6/15/2010 9:15:46 AM   
kayleaner@yahoo.com

ExACtLy what I wanted! Thanks so much. I don't think I could have ever figured that one out on my own. So thank you

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 7/25/2010 3:42:27 PM >

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: How can I make a 4x6 or 5x7 layout? - 6/15/2010 11:45:43 AM   
ellengard

You are welcome! PS 23 is well-suited to creating high resolution JPGs, as thin or as wide as you need.

Whenever you need your JPG to be a certain width to height ratio, you can adjust your bounding rectangle accordingly and modify your design to fit.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 7/25/2010 3:42:35 PM >

(in reply to kayleaner@yahoo.com)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> How can I make a 4x6 or 5x7 layout? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4