Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Event Alarm won't work

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [Calendar Creator] >> CC General Functionality >> Event Alarm won't work Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Event Alarm won't work - 3/14/2013 6:51:20 PM   
cheezwhiz442

I have tested and tested the event alarm feature, and I cannot get consistent results. Sometimes I get a popup alarm for an event, and other times I don't. I have NEVER been able to get the recurring reminders to work. This isn't rocket science. The software seems to be very straightforward with regard to setting alarms. So why don't they work? i've referenced the Help and FAQ's, and I appear to be doing this correctly. I am ready to return this software, as this is really the only feature I am interested in, and it doesn't work.
Post #: 1
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/14/2013 7:46:58 PM   
DEJenc3

Hi, cheezwhiz,

On the rare occasions when I've used alarms in Calendar Creator, they have worked. As I recall, I might miss the popup because it comes while I'm typing in another program, but the sound activates.

Are you finding inconsistencies with the same event, or with different events? Are the same other programs running at the time that the alarms either work or don't?

I experimented with a daily recurring event, setting the event to start 3 days ago, and the alarm sounded and message appeared. It's hard to test this otherwise, without checking each day.

I don't normally have Calendar Creator open except when adding/modifying events or printing a calendar, and therefore my experience with alarms is limited. Another user on the forum may have used alarms more extensively and can comment.

If you can give an example of the setting of an event that either doesn't work at all or doesn't work consistently, we can try to reproduce it.

David

(in reply to cheezwhiz442)
Post #: 2
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/14/2013 9:14:50 PM   
SamCW04

It must always be kept in mind that Alarms will be activated only when Calendar Creator is running and the calendar file to which the alarm is attached is open.

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 3
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/15/2013 6:58:35 AM   
cheezwhiz442

I keep Calendar Creator open all the time. I select the date and time of the event, I set the alarm to occur 1 minute before the event, and I make sure the alarm box is checked. sometimes it pops up, and sometimes it doesn't. and like i said, I've NEVER been able to get a recurring alarm to work. I do this in Outlook all the time and have never had a problem. Outlook is installed on my other PC but costs $110, which is why I went with another software on this PC.

Post #: 4
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/15/2013 7:54:38 AM   
DEJenc3

Hi, cheezwhiz,

I've been testing this off and on in Calendar Creator 12, running on Windows 7, and I haven't yet identified a time when an event alarm has not sounded or appeared, whether it's a single event or a repeating event. I may be able to test it on Windows XP eventually.

You might mention your operating system, and what other programs are running.

Is it happening only with existing events, or will a newly-created event work with the alarm set?

David

Post #: 5
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/15/2013 10:04:59 AM   
ellengard

Perhaps it's your regional settings? DD/MM/YYYY vs MM/DD/YYYY

Post #: 6
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/16/2013 1:08:12 PM   
SamCW04

quote:

Outlook is installed on my other PC but costs $110, which is why I went with another software on this PC.

When I want to set up event reminders, I always use my Google calendar at google.com, because any event can be set up to either send you an email or pop up a reminder on the screen. And, since it is possible to set up each event to both send an email and pop up a reminder, you could set up all reminders to do both at different times.

Recurring events work perfectly for pop ups. But, it must always be kept in mind that the pop ups will often pop up behind any open window.

The best part about using Google calendar is that you are not required to download or install anything onto your computer; and, you can set up the same events to pop up windows on all of your computers. And, best of all, you are not required to have any specific software on your computer open in order for the reminders to work.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 7
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/16/2013 1:15:51 PM   
SamCW04

quote:

you can set up the same events to pop up windows on all of your computers

On second thought, since I have never attempted to set up the same event to pop up windows on more than one computer, I am not absolutely certain that it will work. But, I'm going to try it out later today.

(in reply to SamCW04)
Post #: 8
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/16/2013 1:20:31 PM   
SamCW04

When I checked it out, I discovered that all you have to do is to open the event on each computer by double clicking on it. Then, click on the Add a Reminder option, which allows you to select either Email or Pop-up.

(in reply to SamCW04)
Post #: 9
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/16/2013 2:54:05 PM   
SamCW04

Forgot to mention earlier that, if you have a dial-up internet connection, Google reminders will not work when you are not connected to the internet.

(in reply to SamCW04)
Post #: 10
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/16/2013 6:38:57 PM   
cheezwhiz442

i keep the calendar open at all times. The only other programs that might be running would be Internet Explorer. I just got CC 12 about a month ago, and ever since I have only been setting "test" reminders/alarms. But I cannot get consistent results. Sometimes I get a pop up, other times I don't. I even returned the software to where I bought it, and they would only give me another copy of CC12, which I installed last night. I set up an alarm for 8:00 this morning - no pop up. I have just about had it. There is probably just one little box I'm not checking off. I have gone through the "help" tool and it appears I am doing this correctly. LIke I said, I select the date and time, I set the reminder to occur 1 minute before the event, and I make sure both the "enable alarm" and the "alarm message" boxes are checked. Is there something I'm missing?

(in reply to SamCW04)
Post #: 11
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/16/2013 6:41:14 PM   
cheezwhiz442

i forgot to mention I am running Windows 7.

Post #: 12
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/17/2013 10:07:17 AM   
ellengard

I think it's your regional settings. On my Win7 I have DD/MM/YYYY, same as on my CC. I set up a test alarm for 4 consecutive days, starting on the day you started this thread.

It's worked flawlessly. My alarm sound sounded and my selected application (I chose Windows Media Player) launched at the same time.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 13
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/17/2013 11:21:33 AM   
DEJenc3

Hi, ellengard,

I'm not so sure it's the regional settings, since my Windows 7 short date is set to M/d/yyyy, and the test calendar alarm events I created have all functioned when expected.

There don't seem to be event alarm settings where one could go too far wrong. I have yet to reproduce the problem, though I'm keeping the test alarm events active a while longer on the chance that I'll find an occasion when it doesn't work.

David

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 14
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/17/2013 2:14:24 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: cheezwhiz442
... There is probably just one little box I'm not checking off... I select the date and time, I set the reminder to occur 1 minute before the event, and I make sure both the "enable alarm" and the "alarm message" boxes are checked. Is there something I'm missing?

See screen capture. Did you open the Event Tab to set up the repeat rule?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/17/2013 3:26:52 PM   
CrystalE

While it is possible to successfully perform many Calendar Creator functions when the date format is set to DD/MM/YYYY, it should be noted that Calendar Creator was designed to function correctly only in English and with normal U.S. settings (i.e. MM/DD/YYYY).

As is noted here

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=37811

and here

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=24572

both print projects and PDF projects will often not perform as desired when non-U.S. Date settings are used. Of course, as Brandy redux noted at the bottom of this discussion

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=24572

"Short Date Format: dd-MMM-yy

Long Date Format: dd MMMM, yyyy

Even though those Date Format settings are contrary to the recommended settings mentioned above, I have confirmed that those Date Format Settings will work with CC7, CC8, CC9, CC10, CC12 & CC12.1 on WinXP, Vista and Windows 7."

And, even though the discovery in the discussion noted below may not be directly related to cheezwhiz442's problem

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=46089

it can be seen in that discussion that problems can occur with Print Shop's Ultimate Mail Manager when the Regional Time setting is not a standard U.S. setting. Since it is very likely that all Broderbund programs are programmed in the same manner as regards Regional Settings, it might be prudent to ask cheezwhiz442 to verify that all of her Language, Time & Date Regional Settings are set to normal U.S. settings.

< Message edited by CrystalE -- 3/17/2013 3:35:37 PM >

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 16
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/18/2013 8:00:46 AM   
cheezwhiz442

I've been told by a couple of users that it could be my regional date settings, and that yours is DD/MM/YYYY. But in my CC it clearly says MM/DD/YYYY all over the place. Both in the event itself and in the date and time bar of CC. so that's not the problem, I don't think. I tried to upload a print screen to this post but it doesn't support a .docx file.

Post #: 17
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/18/2013 9:33:17 AM   
ellengard

What about post #15? Do you have the same items checked in both dialog boxes?

Post #: 18
RE: Event Alarm won't work - 3/21/2013 4:49:19 PM   
ellengard

quote:

LIke I said, I select the date and time, I set the reminder to occur 1 minute before the event, and I make sure both the "enable alarm" and the "alarm message" boxes are checked. Is there something I'm missing?

It appears you did not set up your Repeat Rules. None of your posts mention that you did this.

Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [Calendar Creator] >> CC General Functionality >> Event Alarm won't work Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4