Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.0 >> RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 4:13:11 PM   
Teffie

Hey, Ellen and TMFAN;

I will have to get a new flash drive as the 2 I have contain my Word docs from my other system to load on this new laptop so that I can move them, but is there anything I can do to find the new fonts on the Print Shop 3.0 program I just installed?

Or is transferring the old fonts the best I can do and I should just content myself with that and just go from there and uninstall the TPS 3.0 product and call it a day?

Thanks for the instructions on how to find and copy the fonts, they seem simple to follow and I should be good with that!

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 21
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 4:41:20 PM   
ellengard

There is NO need to uninstall 3.0 when all you want is extra fonts. So just copy all the fonts from your Compaq to your HP and they will all show up in 3.0, just like you want.

As practice, go copy Stagecoach font from the Compaq and paste it into C:\Windows\Fonts on the HP. Then open 3.0 and you will find Stagecoach font is now available. Yay!

< Message edited by ellengard -- 4/10/2013 4:44:39 PM >

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 22
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 6:39:55 PM   
Teffie

quote:

ORIGINAL: ellengard

There is NO need to uninstall 3.0 when all you want is extra fonts. So just copy all the fonts from your Compaq to your HP and they will all show up in 3.0, just like you want.

As practice, go copy Stagecoach font from the Compaq and paste it into C:\Windows\Fonts on the HP. Then open 3.0 and you will find Stagecoach font is now available. Yay!

I'll give that a try, Ellen, but I still want to find the new fonts that should be part of my 3.0 product so I hope there's some help for me.

Do you think it is possible to find the fonts folder/file on the product disc itself, and if so, can you tell me how to access it?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 23
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 7:02:48 PM   
Teffie

I put the product disc and was able to find the fonts folder on the E drive but I am uncertain as to how to get it to install into the program so that I can access it.

Again, being newer than a novice with tech stuff, I can be dangerous if I start poking around without knowing what to do...

Eeeek!

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 24
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 9:49:44 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Teffie
... I still want to find the new fonts that should be part of my 3.0 product so I hope there's some help for me.

The current theory is that the fonts will not install on a Win8 system. T told me he installed 3.0 on his Win8 and those three fonts you mentioned are not on his system. Same as you. Soon we will know if this is more than a coincidence.
quote:

Do you think it is possible to find the fonts folder/file on the product disc itself, and if so, can you tell me how to access it?

No, I think it is impossible. Font files have the extension TTF. You can search the entire disk, but I'm betting you won't find a single TTF file. I suspect that all the TTFs are packed into some other enormous file which only gets unpacked during an installation onto Win7, but not Win8. That's my theory. If it is correct, then the only way to get those TTF files is to take them from the Compaq.

You did say in post #4 that you installed 3.0 on your Compaq.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 4/10/2013 10:00:43 PM >

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 25
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 10:11:54 PM   
Teffie

quote:

quote:

... I still want to find the new fonts that should be part of my 3.0 product so I hope there's some help for me.

The current theory is that the fonts will not install on a Win8 system. T told me he installed 3.0 on his Win8 and those three fonts you mentioned are not on his system. Same as you. Soon we will know if this is more than a coincidence.
quote:

No, I think it is impossible. Font files have the extension TTF. You can search the entire disk, but I'm betting you won't find a single TTF file. I suspect that all the TTFs are packed into some other enormous file which only gets unpacked during an installation onto Win7, but not Win8. That's my theory. If it is correct, then the only way to get those TTF files is to take them from the Compaq.

You did say in post #4 that you installed 3.0 on your Compaq.

In post #4 I meant that I had installed my previous Print Shop product from the disc to the Compaq and it worked just fine.

I did not attempt to install TPS 3.0 to the old system because I was told when I purchased my laptop on 3/30/13 that the program would likely not load onto the old operating system, and that the old Print Shop product that I had would not work on the new laptop I was purchasing with the Windows 8 on it, which was why I installed the new program on the new laptop, thinking that new with new would equal the simplest outcome and ease of use.

Like I said, boy was I wrong!

I did notice that on the Encore site there was one place where there was some kind of an upgrade to the TPS 3.0 product that was supposed to make the program run better, however, it didn't say anything about the fonts at all, but perhaps that will help?

At this point would you suggest that I simply transfer all of the old fonts to the new program and hope that they can figure out the compatibility issue?

ETA: just to clarify, those fonts that T does not see on his system that are missing from mine are merely examples of the fact that NONE of the new fonts uploaded when I installed the TPS 3.0. I don't want to be misleading or unclear by not explaining myself very well.

< Message edited by Teffie -- 4/10/2013 10:16:12 PM >

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 26
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/11/2013 10:43:26 AM   
ellengard

Oh, I see. When you said, "I put the disc into the tray and let it download like I had on the previous system and yet I have no fonts." I did not know you had switched to talking about a different disc.

This explains a lot of confusion. T and I thought you installed 3.0 on your Compaq, therefore we believed that the 3.0 fonts are on your Compaq, so I did not understand why you kept asking about finding these fonts.

Regarding the 3.0 upgrade patch. If you already have version 3.0.5 or 3.0.6, the patch will do nothing for you.

I haven't heard anything yet to confirm or deny that Win8 won't let the fonts install.

An alternative solution: Install 3.0 on the Compaq. That will install the 400 fonts. Copy them to the HP.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 4/11/2013 10:45:13 AM >

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 27
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/11/2013 10:51:32 AM   
ellengard

Earlier I described how I believe the individual TTF files are packed (compressed/encoded) into a larger file (I have no idea what that file extension would be).

I think when you were installing onto Win8, Win8 saw this unknown file and said something to the effect, "Don't know what you are, not letting you in."

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 28
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/11/2013 12:26:08 PM   
Teffie

quote:

Oh, I see. When you said, "I put the disc into the tray and let it download like I had on the previous system and yet I have no fonts." I did not know you had switched to talking about a different disc.

This explains a lot of confusion. T and I thought you installed 3.0 on your Compaq, therefore we believed that the 3.0 fonts are on your Compaq, so I did not understand why you kept asking about finding these fonts.

Regarding the 3.0 upgrade patch. If you already have version 3.0.5 or 3.0.6, the patch will do nothing for you.

I haven't heard anything yet to confirm or deny that Win8 won't let the fonts install.

An alternative solution: Install 3.0 on the Compaq. That will install the 400 fonts. Copy them to the HP.

Yes, I was trying to indicate how easy it had been to install and get started using the previous Print Shop product vs. the nightmare this has been.

While I have been trying to figure out how to get the fonts to load, I have discovered that I have The Print Shop 3.0 Standard Version, the most basic model, apparently, and I don't know if that has anything at all to do with the problem, however, since I did see that there was a 'patch' or an upgrade that boasted that there was an increase in user friendliness I wasn't sure if that was something that I should attempt to load to my computer to facilitate getting access to the fonts or not.

Since my last post I was also able to locate the fonts folder for TPS 3.0 on my C drive, but I have no idea what to do from there or if there is anything to do from there based on the assumption that there is a compatibility issue with Windows 8.

As for loading TPS 3.0 to my old 2006 Compaq system, that's not something I can do as my disc drive no longer works on the tower and I can only use the thumb drives to copy things or move things around, which tells you why I finally gave in and got myself a new computer.

As indicated, my previous experience was very simple and easy, I loaded the program from the disc and started using it right away, but now it is anything but simple or easy and it seems as if half of the program that I purchased is simply dead on the computer, because if I cannot get access to it or make it work, it's useless.

Again, I appreciate all your help and T's help in trying to brainstorm and come up with a way to make the program work on my computer. My ability to do so is limited to say the least so having some savvy folks looking at the problem makes me feel better.

Thanks! With any luck I'll soon be able to use the program as it was designed to work!

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 29
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/11/2013 5:40:28 PM   
ellengard

Before I address your comments, let me assure you that the missing fonts problem is being looked at by Encore testers and we will have a response soon. Win8 is fairly new - most people don't even have it so you are one of the very first people to even have a Win8 related problem in this forum.
quote:

...I have The Print Shop 3.0 Standard Version, the most basic model, apparently, and I don't know if that has anything at all to do with the problem...

That has no impact on your problem. Standard has 400+ fonts, Deluxe, 600+ fonts, and Professional version, 800+

quote:

I did see that there was a 'patch' ...I wasn't sure if that was something that I should attempt to load to my computer to facilitate getting access to the fonts or not.

Absolutely not! The patch is to fix 3.0.3 and earlier versions that tended to crash. The patch could harm version 3.0.5 and up.

quote:

Since my last post I was also able to locate the fonts folder for TPS 3.0 on my C drive, but I have no idea what to do from there...

That font folder has no TTF files, so there's nothing to do there.

quote:

...my old 2006 Compaq system... disc drive no longer works on the tower

Too bad. This would have been the fastest way to get your fonts.

quote:

it seems as if half of the program that I purchased is simply dead on the computer, because if I cannot get access to it or make it work, it's useless.

That's not so. The program is working. If I was making a flyer with Word and it didn't have a specific font, that does not make Word useless. Design whatever you need using an existing font. I can email you some fonts for you to install, and it's a simple matter of highlighting your text and choosing those new fonts.

quote:

Again, I appreciate all your help and T's help in trying to brainstorm and come up with a way to make the program work on my computer.

I'm glad to help, but I reiterate, the program is not broken. Your concern is that you don't have 400 additional fonts which does not affect the many features of the program.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 4/11/2013 5:45:31 PM >

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 30
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/11/2013 5:43:18 PM   
ellengard

Feel free to email me if you need a specific PS3.0 font.

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 31
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/12/2013 1:14:35 PM   
Teffie

quote:

Before I address your comments, let me assure you that the missing fonts problem is being looked at by Encore testers and we will have a response soon. Win8 is fairly new - most people don't even have it so you are one of the very first people to even have a Win8 related problem in this forum.
quote:

...I have The Print Shop 3.0 Standard Version, the most basic model, apparently, and I don't know if that has anything at all to do with the problem...

That has no impact on your problem. Standard has 400+ fonts, Deluxe, 600+ fonts, and Professional version, 800+

quote:

I did see that there was a 'patch' ...I wasn't sure if that was something that I should attempt to load to my computer to facilitate getting access to the fonts or not.

Absolutely not! The patch is to fix 3.0.3 and earlier versions that tended to crash. The patch could harm version 3.0.5 and up.

quote:

Since my last post I was also able to locate the fonts folder for TPS 3.0 on my C drive, but I have no idea what to do from there...

That font folder has no TTF files, so there's nothing to do there.

quote:

...my old 2006 Compaq system... disc drive no longer works on the tower

Too bad. This would have been the fastest way to get your fonts.

quote:

it seems as if half of the program that I purchased is simply dead on the computer, because if I cannot get access to it or make it work, it's useless.

That's not so. The program is working. If I was making a flyer with Word and it didn't have a specific font, that does not make Word useless. Design whatever you need using an existing font. I can email you some fonts for you to install, and it's a simple matter of highlighting your text and choosing those new fonts.

quote:

Again, I appreciate all your help and T's help in trying to brainstorm and come up with a way to make the program work on my computer.

I'm glad to help, but I reiterate, the program is not broken. Your concern is that you don't have 400 additional fonts which does not affect the many features of the program.

I appreciate you answering these things, Ellen and I hope that an answer comes soon to fix the issue.

I sent you an email re the fonts but as I said in that email, I don't know what fonts are supposed to come with TPS 3.0 to know which ones to ask for but gave you the list of the fonts that I used over and over again for my letterhead and business forms.

Thanks again for all your help and everyone else's with trying to help get this issue resolved.

Knowing that people 'in the know' are working on it helps! A lot!

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 32
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/18/2013 3:19:01 PM   
Teffie

I know it hasn't been a terribly long while but I was just wondering if there was any updated information or ideas that could be used to help me unlock my fonts?

While the product I purchased works, the point of having all of those fun and interesting fonts is to replace the basic Arial and Tahoma style fonts in TPS 3.0 template designs with something more fitting with the artistic look of the pieces.

Otherwise, if those fonts weren't important, they wouldn't be included in the product in the first place.

And, if there is no word on how to get those fonts to load and work with my product, does anyone know of a place where I can get fonts for low to no cost so that I can utilize my product more in keeping with how I have been in the past when I did have access to my fonts?

I really shouldn't have to buy more fonts when I already paid for 400 of them, you know?

ETA: special thanks to Ellen for being so incredibly patient and helpful in getting me a couple of crucial fonts for my company letterhead. I cannot tell you how grateful I am for your help with that!

< Message edited by Teffie -- 4/18/2013 3:20:58 PM >

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 33
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/18/2013 4:09:00 PM   
ellengard

quote:

... if there is no word on how to get those fonts to load and work with my product, does anyone know of a place where I can get fonts for low to no cost...

ETA: special thanks to Ellen for being so incredibly patient and helpful in getting me a couple of crucial fonts for my company letterhead. I cannot tell you how grateful I am for your help with that!

Hi, Teffie

Glad to know you were successful in installing those two fonts. Now you should be comfortable about installing the rest of your fonts that reside on your old computer here:
C:\Windows\Fonts
and also here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Broderbund\Core Fonts

There you go. At least 500 fonts right there for free.

Have not forgotten you... still waiting for Win8 info from Customer Service.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 4/18/2013 4:14:33 PM >

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 34
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/20/2013 6:20:00 AM   
ellengard

Hi Teffie, I have an update for you. The developers are still investigating it. There have been similar reports from other Win8 users. It is as I suspected... there's a special file that is a "chained install to the main program installer". So while the main program is installing OK, the chained install which would install the fonts, is being prevented.

If it turns out that to get the chained install to work is too difficult/ too technical, Encore will provide you with a separate fonts program at no cost.

I do not know the timeframe for this, so it's still a good idea to copy those fonts off your old computer so you have plenty of fonts to work with immediately.

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 35
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/20/2013 12:40:50 PM   
JasonC

I have some great news. I decided to poke around a bit, and if you find the setup file for the program you can set it to Windows 7 Compatibility mode and check the box run as administrator and it works fine

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 36
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/23/2013 12:16:37 PM   
ellengard

Teffie,

Uninstall 3.0, then reinstall it under Win7 compatibility mode. This will give you the program with all the fonts installed and ready to use!

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 37
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/23/2013 8:51:31 PM   
Teffie

quote:

Teffie,

Uninstall 3.0, then reinstall it under Win7 compatibility mode. This will give you the program with all the fonts installed and ready to use!

Hi, Ellen & TMLFan...

Thank you for the update! Can you give me some help or instructions on how to select compatibility modes? As I mentioned in the beginning, I am the least tech savvy person you'll ever meet so I am pretty lost when it comes to doing pretty much anything but poking around and getting myself into trouble.

I can figure out how to uninstall but I have no clue how to set compatibility or that it was an option.

Any pointers or tips you can offer would be great, thanks!

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 38
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/24/2013 12:31:48 AM   
JasonC

quote:

quote:

Teffie,

Hi, Ellen & TMLFan...

Thank you for the update! Can you give me some help or instructions on how to select compatibility modes? As I mentioned in the beginning, I am the least tech savvy person you'll ever meet so I am pretty lost when it comes to doing pretty much anything but poking around and getting myself into trouble.

I can figure out how to uninstall but I have no clue how to set compatibility or that it was an option.

Any pointers or tips you can offer would be great, thanks!

Right click on the setup file and choose properties. The rest should be straight forward :)

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 39
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/25/2013 4:28:21 PM   
ellengard

Teffie, put the disk in and look for the exe files there. Can you find "setup.exe"?

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.0 >> RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4