Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 2.0 >> Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/1/2013 10:18:37 AM   
shayeinsd

I have a new computer. All my projects were transferred by a tech. However, the new computer with Windows 7 will not download Printshop Essentials Version 6 program disc. I also have Printshop 20 which will load, but it doesn't open any of my projects created by Printshop Essentials. Is there ANY WAY to open and/or rename (without opening) all my projects so I don't lose YEARS of work. I still have the old computer too, so I could re-hook it up and use Printshop Essentials to change the project names on that hard drive and then transfer all the projects again.

Looking for the system that will work #1, but also the least time consuming, 1,000s of projects, mostly greeting cards and flyers.

I am not very computer literate, I need detailed 'common language assistance'. Thanks!

Shayeinsd
Post #: 1
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/1/2013 10:50:36 AM   
ellengard

See here for instructions on how to open v6 projects in v20:
http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=37629

Post back if you have further questions about this.

(in reply to shayeinsd)
Post #: 2
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/1/2013 1:23:05 PM   
shayeinsd

Thank you. It seems to 'open' my projects but I can not cut & paste from one document to the other, to change and create personal greetings. Nor can I copy photos from internet and import into a greeting card like I could before!

Seems much more complicated than PS Essentials, with less than previous results.

In your opinion, would I be happier getting a newer version, if I have to start all over again anyway?

I create personal greeting cards and flyers with many (100's) of imported pictures into 'photo collages' on one page.
Thanks Sherry

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/1/2013 3:30:41 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: shayeinsd
It seems to 'open' my projects but I can not cut & paste from one document to the other, to change and create personal greetings. Nor can I copy photos from internet and import into a greeting card like I could before!

Copy/paste and importing photos works just fine in PS20. Could be the method is slightly different than in PS6. Perhaps it works better after you save your old project in PS20, thus converting it to a PS20 project.

quote:

Seems much more complicated than PS Essentials, with less than previous results.

Essentials has less features and options, so yes, there will be a few things to learn in PS20.

quote:

In your opinion, would I be happier getting a newer version, if I have to start all over again anyway?

I create personal greeting cards and flyers with many (100's) of imported pictures into 'photo collages' on one page.

You can start all over again with PS20. PS23.1 is the Win7 compatible version, but it is much like PS20. I wouldn't get PS3.0 since you do a lot of photo collages. PS3.0 cannot print photos without some blurriness.

(in reply to shayeinsd)
Post #: 4
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/1/2013 3:50:47 PM   
JasonC

quote:

ORIGINAL: ellengard

quote:

It seems to 'open' my projects but I can not cut & paste from one document to the other, to change and create personal greetings. Nor can I copy photos from internet and import into a greeting card like I could before!

Copy/paste and importing photos works just fine in PS20. Could be the method is slightly different than in PS6. Perhaps it works better after you save your old project in PS20, thus converting it to a PS20 project.

quote:

Essentials has less features and options, so yes, there will be a few things to learn in PS20.

quote:

You can start all over again with PS20. PS23.1 is the Win7 compatible version, but it is much like PS20. I wouldn't get PS3.0 since you do a lot of photo collages. PS3.0 cannot print photos without some blurriness.

"You can start all over again with PS20. PS23.1 is the Win7 compatible version, but it is much like PS20. I wouldn't get PS3.0 since you do a lot of photo collages. PS3.0 cannot print photos without some blurriness."

Not unless you print to PDF or something else

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 5
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/1/2013 6:08:40 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: TMLFAN4LIFE
Not unless you print to PDF or something else

That won't help, either. All photos imported to 3.0 become degraded.

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 6
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/2/2013 10:45:01 AM   
shayeinsd

Thank you both! I'm still working on how to import photos copied from internet searches, reading the how to section, etc. Haven't found the correct sequence yet, still working on it!

Simple "copy" & "paste" doesn't work...there is no 'paste' option when I right click on project, no right click options at all.

The multitude of photos I import used to 'crash' PS6, maybe I will just get a small Mac for that, I'm told they have a better product for graphics? Any thoughts?

Sherry

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 7
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/2/2013 1:58:39 PM   
ellengard

quote:

... I'm still working on how to import photos copied from internet searches...

Insert> From File... select the filename>open.

quote:

Simple "copy" & "paste" doesn't work...there is no 'paste' option when I right click on project, no right click options at all.

Select the graphic, copy/paste. Three ways to do it.

1. Edit> Copy, Edit> Paste
  2. Ctrl-c, Ctrl-v
  3. right-click (see screen capture), select Copy, then Ctrl-v.

You must select a graphic and have the handles appear around it to enable these options.

quote:

The multitude of photos I import used to 'crash' PS6, maybe I will just get a small Mac for that, I'm told they have a better product for graphics? Any thoughts?

Probably not the program's fault, but your old computer's RAM. If you have 4GB RAM with your new computer, you should have no trouble.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ellengard -- 6/2/2013 2:01:41 PM >

(in reply to shayeinsd)
Post #: 8
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/2/2013 2:06:29 PM   
ellengard

quote:

... maybe I will just get a small Mac for that, I'm told they have a better product for graphics?

The Print Shop does not work on Mac, at least not any current version that I know of.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 6/2/2013 2:07:02 PM >

(in reply to shayeinsd)
Post #: 9
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/3/2013 8:07:09 AM   
shayeinsd

Thank you for staying with me on this.

No, I know Mac has their own product, but I've heard their graphics program is better.

Thanks for the info on cut & paste. I was able to SAVE PICTURE AS and then INSERT the file. But this is an additional step. And then I have to go back and delete the saved file when I'm done with it.

Right click cut & paste has always been easier and it doesn't seem to want to work with this program. It is working on my Microsoft programs, word & publisher on this computer.

In Printshop, NOTHING shows up when I right click nor under Edit, except SELECT ALL. Control V did not work either.

I kept hunting around for what would make the cut & paste work. I was playing with help: cut & paste and Insert Art & Photos and it just froze up on me, I got the graphic for high UPC usage and now cannot get out of it. Maybe I'm just jinxed for this? ;)

Thanks!

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 10
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/3/2013 9:04:41 AM   
JasonC

You could try to run Windows Emulation on a Mac such as Bootcamp or Paralells However It's not guaranteed, and some programs work differently then others.

There is also a Windows Emulator called Wine , and I believe its on the Mac. I ran Wine on Ubuntu (Linux) and got some old versions of Print Shop to function on there with little issue. HP Printers work the best in these situations.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to shayeinsd)
Post #: 11
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/3/2013 9:47:51 AM   
ellengard

Perhaps all these problems would be solved by using PrintShop 23.1, since it was made to be Win7 compatible.
quote:

Mac has their own product, but I've heard their graphics program is better.

Better than what? Adobe PhotoShop for Windows?

(in reply to shayeinsd)
Post #: 12
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/3/2013 5:27:59 PM   
SamCW04

quote:

The Print Shop does not work on Mac, at least not any current version that I know of.

http://www.mackiev.com/print_shop.html sells The Print Shop for Mac Version 2.0, which does have a Broderbund logo and is compatible with both MAC OS X Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion; but, The Print Shop for Mac Version 2.0 cannot open any projects which were created by any PC version of The Print Shop.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 13
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/4/2013 7:37:24 AM   
shayeinsd

Thanks for the info, way too much information for me....I guess I was just thinking about starting over with Mac and whatever is installed on one of them, using NO Printshop products- if I decide to start fresh and redo all again. Maybe just time to cut my losses and move on?

It's not a business or anything, just flyers for work which are updated all the time anyway. I have been using Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 in the meantime and it seems to be working for whatever basics I need for work; calendar, flyers, newsletter.

For the personal greeting cards and book pages where I download photos into collages, I'm using Microsoft Office Word 2003 and just making the 'front/back' & inside on two separate documents and printing them together. It's been easier than using Printshop20 this week, since I still can't get it to cut & paste. I just don't have the cropping and photo techniques that I had on Printshop 6. Oh well!

I'm older and although self taught on computers so far, not much into 'new things', I so like what works and get so frustrated when the programs just stop working because of 'upgraded' equipment, it's a catch 22 of technology. ;)

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 14
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/4/2013 7:43:01 AM   
shayeinsd

Just have always heard that for graphics "go with a Mac"!

Most of my graphics I get off photo websites, (Gettyimages.com) not stock graphics from the publishing programs anyway. That's why I'm having trouble with the cut & paste not working. I can right click 'copy' a photo, as always but when it gets to Printshop, there is no edit or right click option.

Busy today, but when I get back I will try the Art & Photos choices again. Thanks for your help.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 15
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/4/2013 7:53:26 AM   
shayeinsd

Thank you! I'm almost to the point of selling the new computer and hooking up the old one, this is all so frustrating.

If you guys/gals are 'techies' out there, please leave a cookie trail in newer products for us geezers to follow back to what is familiar...it really does get harder to learn new things as we age and my frustration level is so much faster.

I remember "microfiche" & "dedicated fax lines" & "rotary dial phones" & "mimeograph machines" (talk about a high from the fumes!) ;) and visiting a computer once that was the size of a huge warehouse and was climate and static controlled with punch card data. It's Dick Tracey amazing to me that there are phones that ARE computers being used by 4 year olds.

(in reply to SamCW04)
Post #: 16
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/4/2013 12:04:35 PM   
ellengard

quote:

I'm using Microsoft Office Word 2003... It's been easier than using Printshop20 this week, since I still can't get it to cut & paste. I just don't have the cropping and photo techniques that I had on Printshop 6. Oh well!

Cut, paste, crop, and a host of photo-editing techniques ... those are all available on Print Shop. Your experience suggests that version 20 isn't that compatible with Win 7.

Getting verson 23.1 may solve all your problems. A thousand dollars less expensive than buying a Mac, but then you would miss out on the fun of learning an all new system and program.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 6/4/2013 12:15:44 PM >

(in reply to shayeinsd)
Post #: 17
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/4/2013 9:38:51 PM   
CrystalE

quote:

Your experience suggests that version 20 isn't that compatible with Win 7.

Since I have never experienced any problem with Cut/Paste on my Print Shop 20 on Windows 7, it is much more likely that shayeinsd's Print Shop 20 problems are the result of either a computer that is in bad need of a cleaning (see the post here http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=24103&mpage=1&key=帧 for computer cleanup directions) or a corrupt Print Shop 20 installation (see the post here http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=41214&mpage=1&key=ꃾ for recommended directions for fixing a corrupt installation).

quote:

Getting version 23.1 may solve all your problems.

Might work. But, since Print Shop Essentials Version 6 files cannot be opened in Print Shop 23.1, both Print Shop 20 and Print Shop 23.1 must both be installed, in order for the Print Shop Essentials Version 6 files to be opened and saved in Print Shop 20 then opened again in Print Shop 23.1. Then, even though the newer versions of Print Shop don't require the older versions to be uninstalled before installing the newer version, it is recommended that the older version be uninstalled first, then reinstalled after the newer version is installed, making sure that a clean install (see the post here http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=24104&mpage=1&key=帨 ) is performed for each installation.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 18
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/4/2013 10:54:31 PM   
shayeinsd

Thank you! I will try this when I have more time.

Someone else contacted me about cut & paste BETWEEN PS 6 & PS 20. I am just trying to copy a photo off the internet and import it into a NEW PS 20 document. If I can't create new like I want to, no need to change over all the PS6 projects. I'll just start all over again with something that works for me, not PS.

I can cut & paste between already created PS6, opened with PS 20, into new PS 20 project. And I can insert graphics from the PS20 library into a new document. Still unable to use right click cut & paste. I will try cleaning and do it all again...maybe this weekend, when I have time.

Thanks for not giving up on me, I appreciate all the suggestions and offers of help.

(in reply to CrystalE)
Post #: 19
RE: Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials - 6/4/2013 11:17:32 PM   
Brandy redux

quote:

Most of my graphics I get off photo websites, (Gettyimages.com) not stock graphics from the publishing programs anyway. That's why I'm having trouble with the cut & paste not working. I can right click 'copy' a photo, as always but when it gets to Printshop, there is no edit or right click option.

When I copied an image from Gettyimages.com then tried to paste the image into a Print Shop 20 project on Windows 7, I experienced the same problem of no right click option. But, when I clicked on Edit in the Print Shop 20 menubar, I was able to select Paste to paste the image. And, I found the same to be true with Print Shop 23 on Windows 7. So, it looks to me like some images cannot be pasted into a Print Shop project by right clicking.

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to CrystalE)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 2.0 >> Opening or renaming Printshop Essentials Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4