Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

fonts

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [Calendar Creator] >> CC General Functionality >> fonts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
fonts - 5/15/2014 2:11:43 PM   
RogueDH

I have a question on using the fonts that come with Calendar Creator 12.1. I am having a professional printer do the printing for a commercial calendar. I sent in a design page to see what problems could occur. I was using Papyrus and just hitting the bold button to make it bold. The printer said that unless there was a bold version of Papyrus, it is not a good idea to force it. I decided to switch to another font but cannot tell which ones are supported with a "regular, bold, Italic" version. Thinking of just changing to a simpler Arial. I notice it has a (bold) western and Narrow. I was thinking Book Antiqua but don't even see that. Are the fonts listed the only ones you can use, and what do the countries next to each font mean?

Thanks,
Dave
Post #: 1
RE: fonts - 5/15/2014 2:58:17 PM   
DEJenc3

If you are looking for font selections for events, you should be able to use fonts installed in Windows. I see all of my installed fonts as choices for event fonts, so I'm not sure what you are seeing.

I have never had to submit a calendar to a professional printer, and so this is out of my league. I don't know if printing to a pdf to send to the printer is an acceptable option.

David

(in reply to RogueDH)
Post #: 2
RE: fonts - 5/15/2014 3:24:48 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogueDH
... I am having a professional printer do the printing for a commercial calendar... The printer said that unless there was a bold version of Papyrus, it is not a good idea to force it.

That means submitting a PDF with the fonts embedded. I would choose any thick font so you don't need to bold it. e.g. Balloon

After you create your PDF, view it in Adobe Reader and view the Document Properties. Open the Fonts tab to verify that the fonts show up as embedded.

Also, by zooming in 400%, you can see if the text is super sharp. If it is blurry, the font was not embedded.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 5/15/2014 3:26:38 PM >

(in reply to RogueDH)
Post #: 3
RE: fonts - 5/16/2014 7:11:02 AM   
RogueDH

It would appear that neither my Mac or PC have Adobe Reader. I know that is probably not possible, but using find on each computer shows nothing. I am using Calendar Creator on my PC, changing each month into a PDF using Cute PDF, e-mailing the month to myself, opening it in my mail on my Mac, and placing the PDF month on a page of InDesign and then saving the whole thing as a PDF. My printer, looking at a mockup, says that it is good to go except making the fonts bold. I have changed to fonts that show up in the list of fonts in Calendar Maker. Since I can't seem to check them in Adobe Reader, should I assume that these will work? I do not want to continually send my printer mockups (cost).

Thanks,
Dave

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 4
RE: fonts - 5/16/2014 9:47:55 AM   
ellengard

Adobe Reader is a free download from Adobe.

It literally takes 5 seconds to create a PDF with 16 pages (months) using Cute PDF. Another one second to view it in Reader and see that it is ready for uploading to a professional printing service. DONE.

No emailing 16 individual files to yourself, importing 16 files to InDesign, and resaving them all.

If you work with PDFs, you really hobble yourself by not having Reader installed on your computer.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 5/16/2014 9:53:45 AM >

(in reply to RogueDH)
Post #: 5
RE: fonts - 5/16/2014 12:29:26 PM   
DEJenc3

I certainly agree with ellengard. You've already gone as far as installing CutePDF, so I can't see why you wouldn't install Adobe Reader, a fairly basic and essential tool. If you aren't sure if it's already installed, and it appears you've searched, when you attempt to install it as new, it'll either warn you, or update it.

David

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [Calendar Creator] >> CC General Functionality >> fonts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4