Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

cropping and sizing photos stretches them

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.5 >> cropping and sizing photos stretches them Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
cropping and sizing photos stretches them - 6/1/2014 5:47:21 PM   
tired of this

I can import photos to the newsletter template I am using, but the cropping doesn't "take" and it's impossible to get my imported pics sized properly. They either stretch or compress visually or become pixellated and blurry. I've watched the extremely basic videos that are called tutorials and can find no help online... Anyone have any suggestions to make this work? - besides another program! If I could afford Quark, I would buy it! :)

Thank you!

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 8/12/2014 11:06:01 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Need help cropping and sizing photos for newsletter - 6/1/2014 6:54:24 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: tired of this
... but the cropping doesn't "take" and it's impossible to get my imported pics sized properly. They either stretch or compress visually or become pixellated and blurry

I find this method works best:

Import your photo into the My Photos Gallery, but don't bring it into your project just yet. Hover over the thumbnail and click Edit Copy. This opens your photo in the Image Editor. Crop your photo and save. You will now see the cropped copy in the My Photos Gallery. Add this picture to your project. It will not be stretched out of proportion.

It may look blurry, but (from a previous thread about blurry photos) we determined it prints OK, not blurry. It's a bug in the display, but it doesn't affect the print quality.

(in reply to tired of this)
Post #: 2
RE: Need help cropping and sizing photos for newsletter - 6/1/2014 7:55:45 PM   
tired of this

Thanks Ellen! Is there any way to crop/size it while it's on the page so you can make it the size it needs to be without constantly going back and forth tweaking it?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: Need help cropping and sizing photos for newsletter - 6/1/2014 8:01:42 PM   
ellengard

Doing the cropping before bringing it into the project will keep the proportions true. Once in the project, you can drag the corner to resize the cropped image. No need to use the Image Editor for resizing in this case.

Post #: 4
RE: Need help cropping and sizing photos for newsletter - 6/1/2014 8:18:02 PM   
tired of this

Thank you Ellen!

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 5
RE: Need help cropping and sizing photos for newsletter - 6/1/2014 9:04:26 PM   
ellengard

You're welcome! Just a tip when making newsletters - we've found that text wrapping around images prints correctly only on the current page. So if your newsletter is more than one page and you are using text wrapping, just switch to each page as the current view and print it by itself.

Post #: 6
RE: Need help cropping and sizing photos for newsletter - 6/2/2014 5:15:03 AM   
tired of this

Thanks so much for the tips! If you have any others, I'd be grateful for them! I have spent hours on this - not so much on the content, but on making the layout/photos work. I used a pre-existing template that has stacked photos on the left side of the front page and across the top of the others. I thought it'd be a snap to take my pics, then import and crop/size them. I was WRONG! :D

Brenda

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 7
RE: Need help cropping and sizing photos for newsletter - 6/2/2014 11:11:47 AM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: tired of this
... I have spent hours on this - not so much on the content, but on making the layout/photos work.... stacked photos on the left side of the front page and across the top of the others.

Manually lining up several photos can be a pain, but there are many techniques to do this quickly, especially if you have other stand-alone photo-editing programs available. Here are a couple you can use just with Print Shop:

In the case of aligning photos down the left side - Resize the photos so they are approximately the same width. Select each photo and use the up/down arrow keys to nudge the photos equal distance between them. Select all the photos by dragging the cursor over them (without touching other items or they will be included in the group). Right-click, Align, Horizontally Align Right. Now move the group to the far left, just pass the point where the printer will cut off the jagged left edge.

Another way to clean up jagged edges - position a long white line (if white is your background color) over the edges of the group.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.5 >> cropping and sizing photos stretches them Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4