Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Print remotely with PM 12

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM Printing Specific Issues >> Print remotely with PM 12 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Print remotely with PM 12 - 8/3/2014 4:21:07 PM   
dishesdonedaily

I use win 8.1 on my main computer. It will NOT talk to my very old HP printer. So I print from another computer which runs Win XP. They are networked together. Can I send my finished project to the XP computer and print it from there without installing PM 12 on the XP? If so, How? Thanks for your help.

All best, Deb
Post #: 1
RE: Print remotely with PM 12 - 8/3/2014 6:39:00 PM   
ellengard

You have PM 12 installed on Win 8.1?! I know PM 12 works on XP. I'm quite certain it does not on Win 8.1, so I would suggest installing and running PM 12 on your XP computer.

Even if you could run PM 12 on Win 8.1, sending the project to the XP computer wouldn't help as the file can not be opened without PM 12. Export as JPG or PDF and send this instead of a PM project file.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 8/3/2014 6:51:54 PM >

(in reply to dishesdonedaily)
Post #: 2
RE: Print remotely with PM 12 - 8/3/2014 8:59:28 PM   
JasonC

Technically this old program will not work with Windows 8.1

If you are using a very old printer on Windows 8.1 printing support will be limited only on the local computer in which its installed to. If no Windows 7 or 8 driver exists for the printer, you can't send anything over the network unfortunately.

Windows 8.1 is very good at supporting older devices as legacy plug and play without actually having the driver CD but it's very dangerous to take your XP install CD on Windows 8.1 for your printer and try to make it work. I just switched to Windows 8.1 about a week ago and still are learning some technical things to it.

It's better to just use the old Print Master program on your older computer, and either upgrade your printer, and or version of Print Master. We offer discounts for people who sign up for our email newsletters and we have regular sales on our products from time to time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: dishesdonedaily

I use win 8.1 on my main computer. It will NOT talk to my very old HP printer. So I print from another computer which runs Win XP. They are networked together. Can I send my finished project to the XP computer and print it from there without installing PM 12 on the XP? If so, How? Thanks for your help.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

Post #: 3
RE: Print remotely with PM 12 - 8/3/2014 9:22:46 PM   
Kirsten

quote:

You have PM 12 installed on Win 8.1?! I know PM 12 works on XP. I'm quite certain it does not on Win 8.1

The reason why it has been said that the newer versions of PrintMaster (and Print Shop 20-23.1) cannot be installed on Win 8.1 is because those newer versions require .NET Framework 1.1, which it has been said cannot be successfully installed on Win8.1. I seem to remember that the first version of PrintMaster which was designed with .NET Framework 1.1 was 16 and the first version of Print Shop which was designed with .NET Framework 1.1 was 20.

It has been reported in at least one other reply on the forum that it is possible to successfully install PrintMaster 11 on Win 8.1; and, I have just now successfully installed PrintMaster 12 on my Win 8.1 64-bit.

Additionally, I made a further discovery, which should not have been successful.

I have just now successfully installed both PrintMaster 18 and Print Shop 23 on my Win 8.1 64-bit, which even I was not able to do a few months ago. And, I have successfully opened both products multiple times. So, either a recent Win 8.1 update has made it possible to successfully install .NET Framework 1.1 on Win 8.1 OR a configuration change that I have made to my computer made this possible. The only configuration change which I remember making recently is that I disabled Microsoft Defender prior to a recent update.

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 4
RE: Print remotely with PM 12 - 8/4/2014 6:18:02 AM   
dishesdonedaily

I want to thank everyone for their very helpful replies. Each offered different information. I will say my install of PM 12 went smoothly and I have been able to open it without problems and create and save a project. It is quite a techno leap from Win XP to Win 8.1 and my motto is "why not try and see if it works" In this case, It seems I was lucky and it did. It is a good idea to install PM on the XP machine, and I will do so in order to be sure it is accessible if 8.1 decides to choke on it.

All best, Deb

(in reply to Kirsten)
Post #: 5
RE: Print remotely with PM 12 - 8/4/2014 8:17:17 AM   
JasonC

Just wanted to let you know we have this great sale that ends on the 6th , you can get our newest Print Master v6 Platinum for only $24.99 with a coupon code.

The code is PRINT2014

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

Post #: 6
RE: Print remotely with PM 12 - 8/4/2014 10:27:32 AM   
ellengard

quote:

... my install of PM 12 went smoothly and I have been able to open it without problems and create and save a project. It is quite a techno leap from Win XP to Win 8.1 and my motto is "why not try and see if it works" In this case, It seems I was lucky and it did.

Thank you for sharing this interesting info. We've had many posts on this forum from users who were very disappointed when they upgraded to Win 8.1 and couldn't get PrintMaster 18.1/Print Shop 23.1 or older to run any more.

Could be that your configuration is unique in some way or a combination of factors as suggested by Kirsten.

Post #: 7
RE: Print remotely with PM 12 - 8/4/2014 7:10:31 PM   
JasonC

quote:

ORIGINAL: ellengard

quote:

... my install of PM 12 went smoothly and I have been able to open it without problems and create and save a project. It is quite a techno leap from Win XP to Win 8.1 and my motto is "why not try and see if it works" In this case, It seems I was lucky and it did.

Thank you for sharing this interesting info. We've had many posts on this forum from users who were very disappointed when they upgraded to Win 8.1 and couldn't get PrintMaster 18.1/Print Shop 23.1 or older to run any more.

Could be that your configuration is unique in some way or a combination of factors as suggested by Kirsten.

I have not noticed the behavior that Kirsten has outlined on Windows 8.1 however I can try this as I have a virtual machine software if something I install does not go right I can turn back the time on it and it acts as if I did not install it. But I don't have a very old version to test.

Please note to all parties interested in trying the advice that Kirsten has outlined, you are doing so at your own risk, as this is a user to user forum, Encore Software INC is not responsible for damage resulting in end users trying out others advice on here.

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 8
RE: Print remotely with PM 12 - 8/4/2014 7:30:00 PM   
Tara

quote:

We've had many posts on this forum from users who were very disappointed when they upgraded to Win 8.1 and couldn't get PrintMaster 18.1/Print Shop 23.1 or older to run any more.

As I indicated earlier, the most important point which must be kept in mind about installing PrintMaster on Win 8.1 is that it has been believed for quite a while that PrintMaster 16, 17 & 18 cannot be successfully installed on Win 8.1 because those versions of Printmaster require .NET Framework 1.1. And, and it has also been believed for quite a while that .NET Framework 1.1 cannot be successfully installed on Win 8.1. So, there is, currently, no explanation for why I was able to install PrintMaster 18 on my 64-bit Win 8.1, even though I was not able to do so in a previous attempt several months ago.

However, since PrintMaster 12 does not require .NET Framework 1.1, and it has been known for a very long time that PrintMaster 12 can be successfully installed on any 64-bit Operating System, there is no configuration issue with PrintMaster 12 on Win 8.1. So, anybody should be able to successfully install PrintMaster 12 on any Win 8.1 computer.

There is, however, a definite configuration issue with PrintMaster 16, 17 & 18 on Win 8.1. When I decided to try to install PrintMaster 18 on my 32-bit version of Win 8.1 (with Windows Defender enabled this time), I discovered that although I had previously disabled Windows Defender, I could find no way to enable Windows Defender, even though I could have easily enabled Windows Defender on my 64-bit version of Win 8.1.

So, I attempted to install PrintMaster 18 on the 32-bit version of Win 8.1 with Windows Defender disabled, as it is on my 64-bit Win 8.1. I soon discovered that I would not be able to do so, because I was not able to successfully install .NET Framework 1.1, even after downloading and attempting to install the latest version from the Microsoft web site.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 9
RE: Print remotely with PM 12 - 8/4/2014 8:09:50 PM   
Tara

quote:

Technically this old program will not work with Windows 8.1

I have discovered that, as a rule, there are usually only two common problems with using older programs on newer Operating Systems:

1. Technical Support is not provided for those older programs.

2. Many older programs can usually be successfully installed on any 32-bit Operating System; but, if any of those older programs contain any 16-programming code (which was commonly used before WinXP was released), those programs cannot be installed on any 64-bit Operating System, because 64-bit Operating Systems cannot handle 16-bit programming code.

As proof of that point, I have successfully installed Calendar Creator 2.0 on a 32-bit version of Win 8.1; but, I am not able to install Calendar Creator 2.0 on a 64-bit version of Win 8.1.

And, I have successfully installed American Greetings CreataCard 3 (a VERY OLD Mindscape/Broderbund product with a 1997 Copyright date) on a 32-bit version of Win 8.1, which also cannot be installed on a 64-bit version of Win 8.1.

Finally, only long-time users of earlier versions of Hallmark Card Studio will appreciate this next fact. I have been able to successfully install Hallmark Card Studio 2 (with a copyright date of 2000, before WinXP was released), on all subsequent 64-bit Operating Systems, including Win 8.1, and without any 'gotchas' at all.

That is not to say that all older programs can be installed on all 32-bit versions of Win 8.1. But, it is important to keep in mind that just because a program is old doesn't necessarily mean that it cannot be used on Win 8.1. However, the older a program is the more likely that it will not install on a 64-bit Operating System. So, every time I upgrade to a newer Windows Operating System, I always make sure to upgrade to both the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version (most often on separate computers). The probem with many computer manufacturers is that, unless you specifically request a computer with a 32-bit Operating System, you will receive a computer with a 64-bit Operating System. So, it's always a good idea to ask about the Operating System before purchasing the computer.

Incompatibilities that I have heard about with regard to Windows 8/8.1 are definitely far fewer than the incompatibilities which users had to face after WinXP was released.

(in reply to Tara)
Post #: 10
RE: Print remotely with PM 12 - 8/4/2014 9:21:13 PM   
Tara

quote:

I use win 8.1 on my main computer. It will NOT talk to my very old HP printer. So I print from another computer which runs Win XP. They are networked together.

When I decided to specifically address Deb's originally stated problem, I remembered having seen earlier on the forums that the Broderbund Software License Agreement has always said the following for all versions of PrintMaster:

"You may not use the software on or over a network or any other transfer device (including the Internet) except in a manner using the network and online functions included in the Software, if any. Use of the Software on more than one computer constitutes copyright infringement and may be punishable by civil fines, criminal penalties, or both."

Since I am not experienced with networks, I do not know whether or not this fact specifically addresses this problem; but, if it does, I'd have to guess that it is not possible to print to a networked printer with PrintMaster 12.

Post #: 11
RE: Print remotely with PM 12 - 8/4/2014 9:39:29 PM   
Tara

I don't know if this is relevant (because I use only Epson printers) but I am able to successfully print to 3 wireless printers from PrintMaster 12 on Win 8.1 64-bit.

(in reply to Tara)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM Printing Specific Issues >> Print remotely with PM 12 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4