Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: custom envelopes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.5 >> RE: custom envelopes Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: custom envelopes - 11/9/2016 10:54:37 PM   
confuzzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: confuzzled
Doggone it! Nope. Same issue.
For the last 3 years, I've used this printer, and this software without a problem...... upgrade to windows 10 and it now torments me. (UGH!)

I am frustrated for you. One last idea. Try the Save As PDF function under the Home tab.

Well, it saves correctly and prints the right size even though adobe shows it saved as letter size. That's great, and not great. If I do a mail merge, I'm going to have 300 pdf files to print! not great! In that case, I'm better off to just use word.
I'm honestly no longer believing it's operator error, and at least that makes me feel a little better.

< Message edited by confuzzled -- 11/9/2016 10:56:32 PM >

Confuzzled, and always waiting patiently

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 41
RE: custom envelopes - 11/9/2016 11:07:10 PM   
ellengard

Yeah, I was disappointed that it didn't save as one multi-page PDF instead. That would have worked.

Edited: Idea! I do have a PDF program that merges several PDF files into a single PDF file. I see you have Adobe Acrobat. Can you do this with Acrobat?

On second thought, that's still a pain. Well, you could print 300 envelopes (one PDF file) with the return address and the graphic. Then do a mail merge onto address labels.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 11/9/2016 11:17:59 PM >

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 42
RE: custom envelopes - 11/9/2016 11:25:27 PM   
confuzzled

quote:

Yeah, I was disappointed that it didn't save as one multi-page PDF instead. That would have worked.

Edited: Idea! I do have a PDF program that merges several PDF files into a single PDF file. I see you have Adobe Acrobat. Can you do this with Acrobat?

On second thought, that's still a pain. Well, you could print 300 envelopes (one PDF file) with the return address and the graphic. Then do a mail merge onto address labels.

Using Word to do it all, unfortunately would really be the easiest way. Yes, acrobat will put all the files into one pdf, but that's still 300 files to combine. ......which takes me back to word.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 43
RE: custom envelopes - 11/9/2016 11:59:20 PM   
ellengard

quote:

Using Word to do it all, unfortunately would really be the easiest way.

Word is a good program. You can always save any Print Shop graphic onto your computer and insert it into a Word project.

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 44
RE: custom envelopes - 11/10/2016 12:04:52 AM   
ellengard

quote:

quote:

Using Word to do it all, unfortunately would really be the easiest way. Yes, acrobat will put all the files into one pdf, but that's still 300 files to combine.

There's only one PDF for the graphic+return address. Then there is just the one mail merge project onto address labels (not envelopes). Just an alternative I'm throwing out there.

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 45
RE: custom envelopes - 11/10/2016 8:13:32 AM   
confuzzled

Thank you for all that.... I did know I could save the graphic to my system. There's always more than one way to skin that cat. Actually, MS offers some really pretty graphics when working on stuff like this. It's just the whole principle of it all that gets me.

I should not have to do this dance with print shop. It should work like it's supposed to work, and when we find an issue like this, tech support should fix it and issue a patch. I'm hoping they'll do just that. I don't know why you have to issue orders to your printer via the printer software anyway. Print shop should be telling the printer what to do, and we just tell print shop what we want it to tell the printer instead of setting print choices twice. There was a time when I could have altered a piece of software myself, but those days are long gone. I just wasn't able to keep up as life began to get in my way. (We used 5" floppy disks then too)

< Message edited by confuzzled -- 11/10/2016 8:14:36 AM >

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 46
RE: custom envelopes - 11/10/2016 10:33:38 PM   
ellengard

quote:

I should not have to do this dance with print shop. It should work like it's supposed to work, and when we find an issue like this, tech support should fix it and issue a patch. I'm hoping they'll do just that.

I agree, it should work as expected! I think you may be right that the upgrade to Win 10 is causing the problem, as you said, it worked fine before. I looked up the system requirements and sure enough, Win 10 is not listed here:

Print Shop 3.5 Professional, The
Minimum System Requirements
Windows® XP SP3 (Home & Pro), Windows Vista® SP2, Windows® 7, and Windows® 8¹, Pentium® IV 2.2GHz processor or faster, 1GB RAM (2GB RAM for Windows Vista®, Windows® 7, and Windows® 8)

I am hoping Jason will weigh in on this soon.

I have many programs that I suspected would not work properly on Win 10, so I did not accept the free upgrade. Microsoft was so aggressive in pushing it on us, even tricking us into accepting it, I got so angry that I went out and bought a Chromebook.

quote:

I don't know why you have to issue orders to your printer via the printer software anyway. Print shop should be telling the printer what to do, and we just tell print shop what we want it to tell the printer instead of setting print choices twice.

I don't recall any of my programs ever auto-changing my printer settings. I have my default setting at letter size. I always have to click on Printer Properties and change the paper size setting, if letter is not what I will be using. This is true for my Adobe Photoshop Elements, my Serif programs, and my Corel Paintshop Pro.

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 47
RE: custom envelopes - 11/11/2016 7:43:13 AM   
confuzzled

I saw that the other day, and also saw that version 4 says windows 10.
I don't like the way MS does things these days either. Forcing updates now too, but I got past that by telling it that my network is metered. That way when I want the updates I can get them.

It seems to me that creatacard told the printer my settings and printed without any interaction to the printer from me. When you're done and exit the software, the printer was released and went back to its default settings. I'm going to try one more thing today. I'm going to change the printer's default settings, , then open PS and see what happens when I try printing.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 48
RE: custom envelopes - 11/11/2016 11:17:59 AM   
JasonC

If your printer worked correctly in a previous version of Windows and then you upgraded to Windows 10, the chance something changed is 50/50. Technically Print Shop 3.5 is much more compatible than The Print Shop 23.1 with stability. When Windows 10 came out, we did lots of tests to ensure that the program works as intended, just like we did when Windows 8 / 8.1 came out.

A new feature to Windows 10 that I've noticed is support for Windows 7 drivers on it's platform. I know you said you had a Windows 10 driver package but support was probably meant so the printer can work on the OS without errors. Plugging in the USB cable for the printer on Windows 10 guarantees basic functionality but may not be able to handle complex things.

Other than this, Windows 10 Updates are breaking everyone's program and everyone's devices in one manner or the other (See the article we wrote online for Windows 10 update breaks The Print Shop 23.1) so it's give or take when you use older programs on Windows 10.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 49
RE: custom envelopes - 11/11/2016 11:52:51 AM   
confuzzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: TMLFAN4LIFE

If your printer worked correctly in a previous version of Windows and then you upgraded to Windows 10, the chance something changed is 50/50. Technically Print Shop 3.5 is much more compatible than The Print Shop 23.1 with stability. When Windows 10 came out, we did lots of tests to ensure that the program works as intended, just like we did when Windows 8 / 8.1 came out.

A new feature to Windows 10 that I've noticed is support for Windows 7 drivers on it's platform. I know you said you had a Windows 10 driver package but support was probably meant so the printer can work on the OS without errors. Plugging in the USB cable for the printer on Windows 10 guarantees basic functionality but may not be able to handle complex things.

Other than this, Windows 10 Updates are breaking everyone's program and everyone's devices in one manner or the other (See the article we wrote online for Windows 10 update breaks The Print Shop 23.1) so it's give or take when you use older programs on Windows 10.

WOOHOO! My test yielded results!
Ok..... If I change printer default settings to the quality and size I want for my custom envelope thru the control panel settings, it then prints CORRECTLY!

Then, I made a preset for that particular paper, set the default printing prefs back to the usual, reopened PS Pro 3.5, chose the preset to print when it was time, and back to original issue.

The problem is the communication between the software and the printer. This is the only software that has an issue with the printer. It prints everything else I've tried to print, just fine...... from my phone to my tablet, to the office suite, and internet pages, etc........ my conclusion is that there is a bug in ps3.5 and its communication with the workforce 7520 printer. It isn't the drivers or I'd have issues with other stuff. There's got to be something in the combination of win10 drivers for this printer and PS 3.5.

My Next question is this: Is there ANYONE out there that has used the workforce 7510/7520 with Print shop Pro 4.0? I'm not big on buying it if it isn't going to work.

< Message edited by confuzzled -- 11/11/2016 11:53:47 AM >

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 50
RE: custom envelopes - 11/11/2016 1:22:47 PM   
JasonC

You have left some excellent feedback about your printer and the stuff you have tried. I can pass on this information to our developers, I think what you have shared with us is very helpful indeed. We love feedback so if you have any other insight on what you would like to see in the next version of The Print Shop we would like to hear it as well :)

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 51
RE: custom envelopes - 11/11/2016 2:35:40 PM   
ellengard

quote:

If I change printer default settings to the quality and size I want for my custom envelope thru the control panel settings, it then prints CORRECTLY!

Then, I made a preset for that particular paper, set the default printing prefs back to the usual, reopened PS Pro 3.5, chose the preset to print when it was time, and back to original issue.

My Next question is this: Is there ANYONE out there that has used the workforce 7510/7520 with Print shop Pro 4.0? I'm not big on buying it if it isn't going to work.

Even with 4.0, you have to select your paper size in the printer settings, either through the program or through the control panel. (Both will work, not only the control panel method.) True for all printers printing from 4.0.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 11/11/2016 2:59:38 PM >

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 52
RE: custom envelopes - 11/11/2016 3:26:33 PM   
confuzzled

quote:

Even with 4.0, you have to select your paper size in the printer settings, either through the program or through the control panel. (Both will work, not only the control panel method.) True for all printers printing from 4.0.

Ahhhhh, I get that. But here's the thing. .... 3.5 is not listed as compatible with Win 10.
4.0 is.
Since my printer is obviously compatible with win 10 (custom papers work fine in office and all that), then the incompatibility lies with PS 3.5, which is not listed as compatible with win 10. And, since PS 4 IS listed as compatible with win 10, what is the change that was made for PS4, that wasn't in the PS 3.5.5 patch?
Jason, can you weigh in on this? Lord knows, I'd love to try version 4 just to see if it works...... but what if it doesn't?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 53
RE: custom envelopes - 11/11/2016 3:42:31 PM   
confuzzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: TMLFAN4LIFE

You have left some excellent feedback about your printer and the stuff you have tried. I can pass on this information to our developers, I think what you have shared with us is very helpful indeed. We love feedback so if you have any other insight on what you would like to see in the next version of The Print Shop we would like to hear it as well :)

The one thing I would really like to see, is this software made simple enough to be used even by my husband, and older retirees in general that get dreadfully frustrated constantly. I mean, I have some people call me asking me why they aren't able to get their email. My usual first question to them is, "are you connected to the internet?" 9 times out of ten, they aren't. If they are, and I have helped them setup Thunderbird on their system, then my next question is "did you click the get mail button?" Mind you, I'm no spring chick either. I have 8 great-grandbabies. Some of us old folks are pretty computer literate. However, if you can make your software really easy for the majority of us, it would be hugely popular for ALL of us, even the young ones!

Why should we have to jump thru so many hoops just to get a piece of software to do what we want? The easier the better. Do you know how proud it makes a 70 year old man to be able to say "I created and printed that card for you", or the fact that that same man can text, send pictures, or do anything other than make a pnone call from a smartphone? (I get those "I forgot how to...." calls all the time) I've forgotten a LOT, if not most, of the computer and programming related stuff that I could once quote off the top of my head. Just because we knew it once, doesn't mean it didn't disappear from our "built in computer banks" that are getting old and tired.

The KISS THEORY (Keep it Simple Stupid) always works best!

EDIT: Creatacard platinum was pretty simple. Everything was stored on your system and you didn't HAVE TO be connected to the internet to use it. (Unless you wanted certain extras)

< Message edited by confuzzled -- 11/11/2016 3:48:00 PM >

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 54
RE: custom envelopes - 11/12/2016 12:28:48 AM   
ellengard

quote:

I'd love to try version 4 just to see if it works...... but what if it doesn't?

You would buy 4.0 just to avoid changing your paper size printer setting in the Control Panel? This one little workaround that makes an older program work fine on Win 10 doesn't seem like much of a nuisance. I give kudos to you for discovering it!

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 55
RE: custom envelopes - 11/12/2016 1:06:24 AM   
ellengard

quote:

Why should we have to jump thru so many hoops just to get a piece of software to do what we want?

To be fair, you changed your operating system, and that's when you encountered your problem. Through perseverance, you discovered an easy fix. So really, to do your custom envelope, there's only one little hoop which is so very manageable given that your operating system changed.

Regarding your comments about making simple software for seniors. Those seniors which include my parents, never had the advantage of having personal computers, neither in school, nor in the workplace. My first exposure to a desktop computer was at my first real job, and the company sent all of us to computer literacy classes.

There are computer literacy classes for seniors. I firmly believe that without this foundation, anything computer related is complicated. As you said, some seniors have a hard time with email. Software is just going to be difficult for them, no matter what, unless they get training and become computer and internet literate first. IMHO.

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 56
RE: custom envelopes - 11/12/2016 8:32:13 AM   
confuzzled

quote:

You would buy 4.0 just to avoid changing your paper size printer setting in the Control Panel? This one little workaround that makes an older program work fine on Win 10 doesn't seem like much of a nuisance. I give kudos to you for discovering it!

I'm funny like that. Plus, 4.0 does have a few new features, nothing major I know but even so, I'm just that way.

quote:

To be fair, you changed your operating system, and that's when you encountered your problem. Through perseverance, you discovered an easy fix. So really, to do your custom envelope, there's only one little hoop which is so very manageable given that your operating system changed.

Regarding your comments about making simple software for seniors. Those seniors which include my parents, never had the advantage of having personal computers, neither in school, nor in the workplace. My first exposure to a desktop computer was at my first real job, and the company sent all of us to computer literacy classes.

There are computer literacy classes for seniors. I firmly believe that without this foundation, anything computer related is complicated. As you said, some seniors have a hard time with email. Software is just going to be difficult for them, no matter what, unless they get training and become computer and internet literate first. IMHO.

Most seniors that haven't experienced computers and then get one are determined that they can "do this." A training class? The people I know are too stubborn or too proud to admit they need to "go back to school. " I base my statements on my friends, and my sweet DH, that I've watched get frustrated and then finally just give up and turn their system into a paper weight. It's sad.

My DH is a perfect example. I've shown him I'd bet, hundreds of times, how to pull his email into thunderbird. He uses thunderbird daily to send email (he's still working in the field) and yet he forever forgets certain little things that he ought to do while he has it open. He's a fast learner but he still forgets if it's something he doesn't do on a very regular basis. His reports for work are in excel, I've had to lock the cells he's not supposed to alter to keep him from accidentally making a change he shouldn't. He has had basic training in the software he uses thru me, and still he gets frustrated. I often look at him and just say "You're one of those people who has absolutely NO BUSINESS owning a computer! "

As for hoops to jump thru, I'm not talking about just printing and this situation. Look back thru all the issues people have asked about in this forum, and imagine being a beginner that just wants to make a simple "I love you, you're my forever sweetheart" Valentine card. Even using a template, and opening that, it truly can become frustrating. The way a text box is inserted is good but then you start typing and it wraps where you don't want it to. Oh Yea, you have to click outside of it once to make it work right. Ok. ..... the list of silly little things goes on and on.

The baby boomer generation have almost ALL reached the age of social security. If the developers would take the average boomer and watch them try to work with their software, they'd see all the things we take as being very simple become not so simple for lots of people. My 32yo granddaughter even got frustrated, got up, went to the store, and bought a card. This suggestion goes for developers of ALL software, not just print shop.

I'm sorry. I could go on and on about the senior situation. I just get so discouraged watching my peers doing their best to deal with new technologies and wanting so badly to "keep up." Knowing many of them were college graduates, business owners and the like, it's even more frustrating. I'm done with my rant, and I apologize for going on so. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 57
RE: custom envelopes - 11/12/2016 12:26:01 PM   
ellengard

May I call you Teri? I am glad you are participating in this forum. Most people come here, ask a question, get an answer, and never come back even though they become more knowledgeable about the software and could help others. I hope to see you as an active member here. Active members who show interest in helping others use the program have been know to be invited to beta-test and give feedback on the next version of the program.

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 58
RE: custom envelopes - 11/12/2016 12:46:11 PM   
ellengard

quote:

Most seniors that haven't experienced computers and then get one are determined that they can "do this." A training class? The people I know are too stubborn or too proud to admit they need to "go back to school. " I base my statements on my friends, and my sweet DH, that I've watched get frustrated and then finally just give up and turn their system into a paper weight. It's sad.

Yes, it is sad, but that was their choice. You can't buy a guitar and just expect to be a musician without training and practice.

Computers are more complex than cars and yet we reasonably expect to take driving lessons and spend hours of practising before we are road worthy. I teach computer literacy at a seniors home and also do one-on-one lessons at private homes. Once I get them to accept that learning the computer is like learning to drive, they are less intimidated.

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 59
RE: custom envelopes - 11/12/2016 12:54:07 PM   
confuzzled

quote:

May I call you Teri? I am glad you are participating in this forum. Most people come here, ask a question, get an answer, and never come back even though they become more knowledgeable about the software and could help others. I hope to see you as an active member here. Active members who show interest in helping others use the program have been know to be invited to beta-test and give feedback on the next version of the program.

Of course you may. I'll try to be fairly active. I do travel a lot, but I'll peek in here and see if I can help whenever I can.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.5 >> RE: custom envelopes Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4