Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 4.0 >> RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up - 5/8/2017 12:38:03 PM   
JasonC

It looks like you have lots of fonts on your computer. On the test computer here at Encore, when doing a clean install of the Windows 10 Creators Update, there was a default of 187 items. This may be the problem. I know you said that other programs do not have this issue but it looks like this may be the case on The Print Shop.

Reducing the number of fonts on the computer may help.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to Dawn91)
Post #: 21
RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up - 5/8/2017 12:58:07 PM   
Dawn91

aehh....but then I would lose them and it still may not work. :(

Is there a way to make The Printshop program only access certain ones? I use many of them for different projects and would hate to risk it.

I noticed on my Programs section of the Control Panel there was:
"The PrintShop 4.0 Fonts" 29.4 MB Version 1.00.0000 and
it is listed separately from "The Printshop 4.0 Professional" 349 MB Version 1.00.0000

Can it not just access it's own fonts? This doesn't seem feasible to lock up or lag on fonts for a graphic design program.

Let me know your thoughts.
thanks,
Dawn

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 22
RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up - 5/8/2017 1:10:11 PM   
JasonC

Whatever fonts you have installed on your computer, many programs access them and it becomes available in the drop down list. In the mean time, I've submitted this as a bug to our developers and see what they have to say about it. But that's more fonts than the average computer user in my opinion.

I remember back in the day with older computers, there was a rule of thumb to the amount of fonts that the typical computer user should have on their PC. Any more than this and it would start causing stability issues on the computer. Today's computers have more memory, a higher processor but still may hit a limit as to when a computer can become unstable.

I'll keep you updated on what they say, but don't have an exact time or date on when I will get this reply.

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to Dawn91)
Post #: 23
RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up - 5/8/2017 1:16:47 PM   
Dawn91

Ok, well thanks, Jason. I have downloaded a few fonts, at some scrapbook/craft sites.... but not 2000! I don't have so many programs installed on my computer either, so I am not sure from where they all originated. Is there a quick way to sort through them and remove some?

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 24
RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up - 5/8/2017 1:23:24 PM   
JasonC

There may be downloadable programs online that can tell which fonts you have used in the past, which fonts you rarely use, and suggest which ones to clean up. Due to technical limitations on what I can help with, I'm unable to recommend a specific program but if you do a search out there, something does exist.

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to Dawn91)
Post #: 25
RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up - 5/8/2017 1:29:43 PM   
Dawn91

Ok, thanks. Have a great day and let me know if you find anything that'll help. I appreciate all of your time.
Dawn

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 26
RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up - 5/8/2017 1:49:16 PM   
JasonC

You're welcome.

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to Dawn91)
Post #: 27
RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up - 5/8/2017 4:35:49 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dawn91
...I have "2,107 items"

That is a LOT of installed fonts. When a program starts up, all installed fonts load up, so yes, 2107 can definitely cause some programs to slow down or freeze.

You can uninstall perhaps 1500 of them - you won't lose them - and simply reinstall the odd one when you know you want to use it. That's what many people with thousands of fonts do. They may use a font manager to easily sort/view fonts, and install a font for a particular project, then uninstall it afterwards. Keep your most used 500 or so fonts always installed, and the rest can be stored outside of the Windows Font Folder until needed.

Here is a useful article about font management:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-add-remove-and-modify-fonts-in-windows-10/

Where he says you can delete a font, but you don't want to lose it forever, don't delete the file. Instead, move it to a new folder for your "extra fonts".

< Message edited by ellengard -- 5/8/2017 4:43:07 PM >

(in reply to Dawn91)
Post #: 28
RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up - 5/9/2017 7:27:16 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dawn91
... I am not sure from where they all originated. Is there a quick way to sort through them and remove some?

You can use the "Details" view in order to sort your fonts by "Designer/foundry". Keep all "Microsoft Corporation" fonts. All others can be considered for moving out of the Font folder, to another location.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ellengard -- 5/9/2017 7:31:28 PM >

(in reply to Dawn91)
Post #: 29
RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up - 6/1/2017 8:10:05 AM   
Dawn91

Thank you Ellengard! I am just now seeing this. I will try this soon. (The program is still locking up.)

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 30
RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up - 6/1/2017 12:32:16 PM   
JasonC

Just to let you know, I had talked with our developers since the last time I visited this thread, and they said the same thing about the fonts, you may have too many installed. If ellengard's advice works for you, please let us know

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to Dawn91)
Post #: 31
RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up - 6/8/2017 10:28:49 PM   
Dawn91

Hi Jason,
I deleted quite a few....nothing changed. The only real "antidote" I've found is to open a new Microsoft Word doument and create/choose my font and size in that program.... then copy and paste into Printshop. :( Not really worth the $$$ I paid for the PS program.....but at least I can "hack it" that way.) :/

Thanks,
Have a great weekend
Dawn

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 32
RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up - 6/9/2017 11:27:42 AM   
JasonC

This is an odd situation indeed. Sorry it's not working out as intended. There is something happening with your computer but it's unknown what's causing it

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to Dawn91)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 4.0 >> RE: Can't change font style in text box, locks up Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4