Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Mapping csv columns to address book fields

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 4.0 >> Mapping csv columns to address book fields Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mapping csv columns to address book fields - 12/9/2017 1:57:53 PM   
MLiv

I am having difficulty mapping columns in my csv file to the relative address book fields. My csv file has 6 columns, no header row. In the home>sharing>flat file view, the "define columns" shows 7 columns beginning with "Column 0" and ending with "Column 6". I've tried many times to assign First Name, Last Name, Primary Street, etc. beginning with Column 0 then again beginning with Column 1 but the fields do not map correctly. What am I doing wrong?
Post #: 1
RE: Mapping csv columns to address book fields - 12/9/2017 6:43:10 PM   
ellengard

What works for me is to edit my CSV file in Excel to reflect the same format and headers as a CSV file that Print Shop creates.

Create a test Address Book in Print Shop - just one or two records. Export as CSV. Look at it in Excel or whatever. Now open the CSV file with all your data and make "matching" adjustments.

With your CSV file looking just like one that Print Shop would export, you should have no trouble with the import.

(in reply to MLiv)
Post #: 2
RE: Mapping csv columns to address book fields - 12/10/2017 5:29:24 PM   
MLiv

Still no joy.

1. Created 2 AB entries.
2. Exported to csv. Got 2 records with 75 column headers.
3. I tried importing the same 2 records using the export test file data and mapped only those fields to columns with data. The list of columns always begins with "Column 0" and it doesn't seem to matter if I start with Column 0 or Column 1 - it still does not import the FirstName column and does not map the other data correctly. And only imports 1 record.

Tried while setting Header Row to 0 and to 1. No difference in result.

My OS is Windows 10 and the version of Excel is part of MS Office 365.

I want to print address and return address labels for Christmas cards using the Mail Merge option. I've use Print Shop for a very long time and this is the first time I've had this much trouble.

Any help appreciated.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: Mapping csv columns to address book fields - 12/10/2017 6:25:55 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: MLiv
...My OS is Windows 10 and the version of Excel is part of MS Office 365.

I want to print address and return address labels for Christmas cards using the Mail Merge option.

If you have MS Office 365, try doing your import and label printing with Word.

I can try to help you do it all in Print Shop, but I would need your CSV file, and since it contains personal info, I understand if you don't want to do this.

edited to add: I seem to recall someone having a problem with his CSV import. He fixed it when he found unintended line breaks in the file, and removed them.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 12/10/2017 6:29:11 PM >

(in reply to MLiv)
Post #: 4
RE: Mapping csv columns to address book fields - 12/10/2017 7:51:23 PM   
MLiv

Thank you for trying to help. Your quick responses were VERY much appreciated. I've come to the conclusion it's a compatibility issue. I find word very tedious when designing and really prefer PS images. TY!

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 5
RE: Mapping csv columns to address book fields - 12/10/2017 8:19:40 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: MLiv
...I find word very tedious when designing and really prefer PS images. TY!

Oh, I agree, the images from Print Shop are really nice. If you can do the mail merge in Word, that's great. You can add a Print Shop image to your Word label. In the Print Shop's clipart gallery, find an image you want for your label. Hover over it until you see the Actions drop down arrow. From the options, click Save To Disk, then browse to a location where you want the graphic to be saved. Now you can access that graphic from Word!

(in reply to MLiv)
Post #: 6
RE: Mapping csv columns to address book fields - 12/10/2017 9:29:29 PM   
MLiv

Excellent, TY!

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 4.0 >> Mapping csv columns to address book fields Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4