Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Problems printing labels

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 4.0 >> Problems printing labels Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problems printing labels - 1/22/2018 12:13:50 PM   
Johnny B

I'm having a problem with Labels. I've created a label sheet using a blank Avery template and have inserted a text box and typed in my return address. But when I go to Print Preview, the page is blank and it won't print anything when I try. It just spits out a blank page. Does anyone know what's happening here? I can't find anything in the settings that would affect this.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/22/2018 1:39:00 PM   
JasonC

Set this address up in mail merge. Click on the Share Tab and then click on the address book button.

Then, draw a text box around your name and insert fields such as First Name, Last Name etc.

Before you print, make sure to click on "Setup Mail Merge" from the home screen to ensure that the one name you want to print is selected.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to Johnny B)
Post #: 2
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/22/2018 1:51:17 PM   
ellengard

You have to click outside the workspace so that you are no longer selecting the text box. Then the program knows you are ready to print.

(in reply to Johnny B)
Post #: 3
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/23/2018 2:59:09 PM   
Johnny B

Well, that's a real Pain. All I want to do is print out a sheet of shipping labels with my logo and return address on them, and then go in later and type a customer's address on one label. This was so simple to do in the old version. Why make it so complicated? I understand that mail merge is a useful tool for certain label making jobs, like printing out a whole bunch of them from a database, but I have no need to do that or even store any addresses for anything. And what if I want to print something out on a label sheet that isn't an address? Labels aren't just for mailing addresses.

It's really frustrating when software designers take away simple intuitive functionality for something more complicated, instead of just adding the new features and giving the user the option to use what works best for their needs.

< Message edited by Johnny B -- 1/23/2018 3:08:00 PM >

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 4
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/23/2018 3:38:24 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Johnny B
Well, that's a real Pain. All I want to do is print out a sheet of shipping labels with my logo and return address on them...

Mail merge is not required for this. Super simple. Just open a label project and add your text. Then click outside the box when you are finished typing. Print.

(in reply to Johnny B)
Post #: 5
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/23/2018 3:56:09 PM   
Johnny B

But that's exactly what I did do. The image even shows that the text box is not in edit mode. Yet the printout is blank. Something's not working right.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 6
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/23/2018 4:58:43 PM   
ellengard

Open any ready-made project. Go to Print Preview. If nothing shows, then we have to look at printer troubleshooting.

Have you tried printing onto scrap paper to see if something prints, regardless of the blank preview?

< Message edited by ellengard -- 1/23/2018 5:07:24 PM >

(in reply to Johnny B)
Post #: 7
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/23/2018 9:28:58 PM   
Johnny B

Yup. Tried it and it's not a printer problem. It appears to be a problem with the labels. It a does it with a blank lable template and also with the pre-loaded ones.

Image 1 shows a blank "sign" template, and prints out fine.
Image 2 is the label template with the same simple text box.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 8
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/23/2018 9:31:17 PM   
Johnny B

Image 2

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Johnny B)
Post #: 9
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/23/2018 9:52:03 PM   
Johnny B

So, I tried opening lots of different pre-made templates and it appears that the only ones that don't work are Labels and Business Cards, which are the only ones that print multiple copies of the item on one sheet. I can't find anything in the settings or anywhere else that should cause this, so it seems to be a problem with the program itself.

This was a clean install on a brand new, very equipped and very fast, Windows 7, 64bit PC. Everything else in the program seems to be working the way it should. I may try reinstalling it to see if that helps. Otherwise, I think there's a glitch in the software.

(in reply to Johnny B)
Post #: 10
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/23/2018 10:58:29 PM   
ellengard

I am also running the program on Win 7 64-bit. Interesting that you narrowed the problem down to the multi-up print projects. As these generally are more complex vs one-up projects, I would check to see if there is an updated printer driver.

Try printing to a PDF driver. Generally, if that works and a PDF is created, I suspect something is up with my printer. Some older printers are not compatible with this program, or the driver just needs to be updated to work with this program.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 1/23/2018 11:04:38 PM >

(in reply to Johnny B)
Post #: 11
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/24/2018 9:07:05 AM   
JasonC

quote:

So, I tried opening lots of different pre-made templates and it appears that the only ones that don't work are Labels and Business Cards, which are the only ones that print multiple copies of the item on one sheet. I can't find anything in the settings or anywhere else that should cause this, so it seems to be a problem with the program itself.

This was a clean install on a brand new, very equipped and very fast, Windows 7, 64bit PC. Everything else in the program seems to be working the way it should. I may try reinstalling it to see if that helps. Otherwise, I think there's a glitch in the software.

Please send a support ticket here: http://support.encore.com/technicalsupport/tech_support_frm.aspx?product_id=3780 and I can guide you through our steps to clean uninstall / install this program.

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to Johnny B)
Post #: 12
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/24/2018 9:39:14 AM   
JasonC

quote:

ORIGINAL: ellengard

I am also running the program on Win 7 64-bit. Interesting that you narrowed the problem down to the multi-up print projects. As these generally are more complex vs one-up projects, I would check to see if there is an updated printer driver.

Try printing to a PDF driver. Generally, if that works and a PDF is created, I suspect something is up with my printer. Some older printers are not compatible with this program, or the driver just needs to be updated to work with this program.

Ellengard is right. Perhaps the program did not want to render a preview but if you can confirm that a JPG or PDF output is fine, it should work.

Have you tried to close the other tab open, making sure that only one tab is open, then output the preview?

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 13
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/24/2018 5:36:39 PM   
Johnny B

Okay, well, I guess it doesn't like my inkjet printer then. I have an older Canon i560 inkjet I use for color printing, and a new Brother all-in-one wireless laser I use for B&W documents. I also have Microsoft XPS Document Writer, as well as the Broderbund PDF Converter which was installed along with Print Shop, although, the Broderbund PDF Converter doesn't show up on the list of available printers in the drop-down menu in Print Shop. Everything seems to work fine with the Brother and with MS Document Writer though.

Here's the rundown.

If either the Brother printer or MS Document Writer is set as the PC's default printer in Control Panel, then the print preview window works fine, as does either of those printers. But, if I select the i560 in the print window drop-down, it spits out a blank page.

If the Canon i560 is set as the Default printer, then the preview is blank (only for Labels or Business cards) and they won't print. All other projects print fine. And if I select either of the other printers in the print window, they print fine as well, even though the preview window is still blank.

So, I guess it just doesn't like the Canon i560, even though I have the newest driver for Window 7, 64bit which I got directly from Canon's website. (But it was last updated in 2011). The question now is, where do I go from here? I need to print out business cards and labels, but I Really don't care to buy a whole new printer just for this software, because the Canon works just fine with everything else I need it for and I just bought a whole stack of ink cartridges for it. I can try doing a reinstall, but I'm guessing that's not gonna help, is it.

On a side note: There's another issue with the software. If you select an alternate printer, the print window constantly switches back to the default printer after you print something, instead of staying on the last one selected, so if you're making alterations or printing out multiple projects, you keep having to change it back to the printer you want. That's a real PITA and needs to be be corrected.

< Message edited by Johnny B -- 1/24/2018 5:38:14 PM >

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 14
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/24/2018 9:36:51 PM   
ellengard

quote:

... I Really don't care to buy a whole new printer just for this software, because the Canon works just fine with everything else I need it for and I just bought a whole stack of ink cartridges for it.

Here's a workaround. Save as PDF. Open the PDF in Adobe Reader. Print. I'm positive your Canon can print it.

(in reply to Johnny B)
Post #: 15
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/24/2018 11:10:54 PM   
ellengard

quote:

... If you select an alternate printer, the print window constantly switches back to the default printer after you print something, instead of staying on the last one selected, so if you're making alterations or printing out multiple projects, you keep having to change it back to the printer you want...

I have often changed the default printer to suit the situation at hand. Not just the printer, but also the paper stock preferences. Did it a lot with Print Shop 23 when I was working with legal size paper.

I find it easier to set the default printer and its settings to work with whatever big project I'm doing. Once the project is done, I reset the defaults.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 1/24/2018 11:13:18 PM >

(in reply to Johnny B)
Post #: 16
RE: Problems printing labels - 1/25/2018 9:44:15 AM   
JasonC

The program only reads what you have as default in the Control panel.

So, if you wanted another printer to appear first when you click Print in the program, you would need to make the changes in the Control Panel first.

The PDF Convertor works sometimes, and then again sometimes it does not. Cute PDF and Fox it Reader are both great PDF solutions for outputting to PDF and may give you higher resolution options than the 600 DPI the program offers through the built in PDF renderer.

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to Johnny B)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 4.0 >> Problems printing labels Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4