uploading published files (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Web Pages

ats -> uploading published files (4/28/2008 2:58:11 PM)

I have created a website and want to publish. I have spoken to my ISP gotten all of the details needed. We used FileZilla to upload the folder (which has a 13 page website). Somehow, I think this is more complicated than just uploading the folder. I could not launch. When I tried to download the Microsoft Publishing Wizard, it wouldn't come up. My ISP said he could not see my folder because it was not in html - which is what I thought the launch step did. Any suggestions to walk through a non-technical guy?

lindarobin -> RE: Publishing a website with Print Shop 22 (4/28/2008 4:27:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ats
...My ISP said he could not see my folder because it was not in html - which is what I thought the launch step did...

You need to create the HTML files and save them into a folder on your hard drive. This is called "Publish to Folder". So the first thing you need to do is to open your web project in PrintShop and then "Publish to Folder". After you complete that step, post back for further instructions.

ats -> RE: Publishing a website with Print Shop 22 (4/28/2008 6:50:42 PM)

Thank you. I created a new folder and saved the file to it. Does this create the html format simply by saving this to a new folder?

lindarobin -> RE: Publishing a website with Print Shop 22 (4/28/2008 11:11:24 PM)

quote:

...I created a new folder and saved the file to it. Does this create the html format simply by saving this to a new folder?

No, it does not. You must "Publish to Folder".

Web> Publish to Folder

This will generate the files for you webpages. These will be the files you upload to your server. There will probably be dozens of files (depends on how many webpages you have and how many graphics you use) and they will look like this:

[image]local://upfiles/72/2CE8A2B47A664906B8DD6257B4211DF9.jpg[/image]

If you don't get a file named "index.html" you have not correctly published to folder.

Double-clicking "index.html" will bring up your web browser and magically your webpages will appear.

ats -> RE: Publishing a website with Print Shop 22 (4/29/2008 2:21:57 AM)

miraculously, there are numerous files in the folder! the only one missing is the index.html file. do I need to do someting else to get that one to appear? e.g. create a new folder and name it index? etcccc. but, at least there seems to be some progress into step 2.

ats -> RE: Publishing a website with Print Shop 22 (4/29/2008 2:23:43 AM)

actually. I just found the index file. I will try to publish it and see what it looks like.

ats -> RE: Publishing a website with Print Shop 22 (4/29/2008 2:51:00 AM)

I think there is some real progress. I also was able to go in an agjust line spacing and alignment that threw off the formatting. So, before I redo the final steps, there appears to be ONE MORE QUESTION:

How can I insert a rolling date onto the site (i.e. one that changes each day)?

ats -> RE: Publishing a website with Print Shop 22 (4/29/2008 3:51:40 AM)

A set back. Whenever I make changes to pages, I do a save. In preview, all of the body text is centered. I eliminated all returns between headings and paragraphs and set-up paragraph spacing rather than returns. Only one page seems to be holding the specified format. Suggestions?

lindarobin -> RE: Publishing a website with Print Shop 22 (4/29/2008 9:35:42 AM)

quote:

How can I insert a rolling date onto the site (i.e. one that changes each day)?

This is something you shouldn't attempt until you have successfully uploaded all the files generated by the "Publish to Folder" function AND your website is working properly from the server.

You will have to insert the date script into the HTML file MANUALLY. Adding additional HTML code from outside sources is NOT done with PrintShop. It is helpful if you know a little HTML code, at least the basic structure of a HTML page. Check out any of the tutorial sites on the web.

lindarobin -> RE: Publishing a website with Print Shop 22 (4/29/2008 9:48:10 AM)

quote:

...I eliminated all returns between headings and paragraphs and set-up paragraph spacing rather than returns. Only one page seems to be holding the specified format. Suggestions?

You are trying to change the paragraph spacing to something other than 1? If so, PrintShop cannot incorporate paragraph spacing into the generated HTML code. If fine control over paragraph spacing is required, you will have to learn CSS and write your own code.

For you, the best bet may be to create a new text box for the paragraph and position it from the text box for the heading.

lindarobin -> RE: Publishing a website with Print Shop 22 (4/29/2008 9:59:33 AM)

quote:

...Only one page seems to be holding the specified format.

I doubt it. Whenever you change the paragraph spacing, you get a warning when you publish to folder. In order to make it appear that a certain amount of space exists between lines, the program "screenshots" the text box and you get an image rather than real text on your webpage.

ats -> RE: Publishing a website with Print Shop 22 (4/29/2008 1:15:58 PM)

i thought i was making progress. however, after changing some of the text boxes to single space, it still only gives me no spacing. Will i see something different when published to web? I moved some of the heading text into separate text boxes which helped. why are there spacing options if it only wants to see single space?

I can either have eberthig centered or left aligned. this is getting too much work. it might be time to use another package. suggestions?

lindarobin -> RE: Publishing a website with Print Shop 22 (4/29/2008 2:49:02 PM)

quote:

...after changing some of the text boxes to single space, it still only gives me no spacing.

You mean single spacing. No line spacing means only one line.
quote:

Will i see something different when published to web?

Yes, because default line spacing varies between environments. It depends on the web browser being used. The line spacing is different when viewing in Internet Explorer vs. Firefox (unless you specifically code the line and character spacing with CSS.) When you are not using your web browser to view your project, it is your printer driver that determines the line spacing. If you were to change your printer drivers, you may see a change in line spacing. This was explained in my "Making Web Pages with Print Shop" tutorial.

quote:

why are there spacing options if it only wants to see single space?

Because that's a feature for desktop publishing only i.e. print projects, not web projects

quote:

this is getting too much work. it might be time to use another package. suggestions?

Learn HTML. Here's a good tutorial site:
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutorials/getting_started/index.php
Once you know the basics, you can make an informed choice as to what web design product is right for you. No web page creation method is easier to use than the web project in PrintShop for people with no HTML knowledge. That's because it is limited in what it can do so you don't get overwhelmed with the complexity of stand-alone website design programs.

Or try any of the free online templates that some free websites offer. As an example only, look at http://www.freehomepage.com/

Choose one of their templates and then replace their images with your own. Replace their text with your own. You can't make overall design changes, but for ease of use, it's unbeatable.

ats -> RE: Publishing a website with Print Shop 22 (4/29/2008 3:17:00 PM)

OK. some good thoughts. Let's go back a bit. If I can continue this effort I will . If not, i will migrate over some standard templates offered by my ISP. I prefer to try to get this up.

Why does everything center and not left align?

How do I provide examples like the following:

Application Name (centered). Then a space between it and the left aligned descriptive text that follows the name. Then, some sapce and repeat application #2 through #N etc.

The names could be lists of websites and a short description then space and the next website etc.

third: When I populate a text box, it scrolls down to allow "infinite" amount of information to be added. When I published, I only got a screen shot without scroll capability. Also, Back/Next remain as page movement actions at top of each web page.

ats -> RE: Publishing a website with Print Shop 22 (4/29/2008 3:22:43 PM)

PS I appreciate your patience. Thanks for the reference site. And, no, I do not want to become proficient in web design. I simply would like to get my site up and I thought that this seemed pretty "easy" - for a non-tech-code guy.

lindarobin -> RE: Publishing a website with Print Shop 22 (4/29/2008 5:47:32 PM)

quote:

...Why does everything center and not left align?

This is just a limitation of PrintShop's HTML generating ability: only ONE text align value per text box. (If you were making a print project, you would get both centered and left justified text within the same text box.)

Unfortunately, (bar tweaking the HTML code manually) you are stuck with making the entire text box left justified and then inserting spaces to move a line over...

or

Make separate text boxes whenever you require a different text alignment.

quote:

When I populate a text box, it scrolls down to allow "infinite" amount of information to be added. When I published, I only got a screen shot without scroll capability.

Adding a scroll bar is outside the scope of PrintShop's web project. (Again, you can manually insert extra HTML code to make a text box with horizontal and vertical scroll bars.) Just increase the size of your text box to accommodate ALL of the text.

quote:

Back/Next remain as page movement actions at top of each web page.

Do you want to remove them or just re-position them? When the HTML code is generated, you get those links whether you want them or not so it requires tweaking the code to change them.

FYI: "tweaking the code" means opening the html file with NOTEPAD and directly editing the code therein.

-----------------------------

The poster, ats, decided to use an online template provided by his web host as this gave him an immediate solution to having a ready website, although admittedly, not the design he had envisioned.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4