No more Avalon...... why?.... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Games] >> [Hoyle®] >> [Hoyle Puzzle & Board Games 2008] >> Board Games

nnaagg -> No more Avalon...... why?.... (8/24/2008 6:41:58 PM)

Hello

I have given up trying to put these games on my Vista and have put it onto my laptop which has XP. Everything is going well, all the games are playing and i get up to stage 29 in Runes of Avalon then close it up for the day. I have tried to open that game again and nothing happens.... i have uninstalled and reinstalled and i have also downloaded the patch..... Why has it stopped working?? Please help...

Thankyou[:(]

Brandy redux -> RE: No more Avalon...... why?.... (8/24/2008 6:56:59 PM)

Hi nnaagg,

There is a known problem with Runes of Avalon in Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games 2008. And, that known problem is that at some point in the game, the game will simply refuse to start.

However, according to Encore Technical Support, it should be possible to fix that problem by installing the correct patch for Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games 2008, which can be found here

Hoyle Puzzle & Board Games 2008 Patches are here!

It is important to note, however, that there are 3 patches - one patch for the DVD version, one patch for the downloaded version purchased from hoylegaming.com/digitalriver.com and one patch for the downloaded version purchased from encore.com/trymedia.com.

Since you have already installed the patch and the problem still exists, there are a few things you could try:

A. Click on this link

Uninstalling Software: Thoroughly & Safely

and follow ALL directions in that FAQ for uninstalling Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games 2008

B. Click on this link

Computer Cleanup on WinXP, WinVista & Win7

and follow ALL directions in that FAQ

And, since you have experienced so many other problems on your computer, it is critically important that you do NOT skip this step.

C. Click on this link

'Clean' Install on Win98/Me/XP/2000/Vista/Win7

D. Install the Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games 2008 patch.

If this does not help to solve your problem, your only option would probably be to submit an Online Support Request directly to Encore Technical Support, as described in this FAQ

Technical Support & Customer Service: Broderbund, Encore, Hoyle, Bicycle

nnaagg -> RE: No more Avalon...... why?.... (8/24/2008 7:18:48 PM)

Thankyou

What a shame i have done all that and nothing....... I hope the 2009 version will be better and has fewer problems. Have you heard much about it? Is there anywhere that shows a game list? Are you able to connect to the web with it and play other people who have purchased the game?

Sorry about the 20 questions..... [;)]

Brandy redux -> RE: No more Avalon...... why?.... (8/24/2008 8:24:36 PM)

Hi nnaagg,

If you have done ABSOLUTELY everything I recommended above, and in the recommended order, then there's got to be something else going on in your computer.

After I posted my last message above, I remembered that I, too, experienced the problem with Runes of Avalon. But, after I performed the same steps that I recommended to you above, I was able to play Runes of Avalon to the end of the game. So, the patch does fix the problem.

However, I installed my program from the DVD. So, if you purchased the program as a download, that *might* explain the problem - if it weren't for the fact that you said you downloaded the patch and other users who purchased the download claimed that the patch will not work for the downloaded version. However, even though I did see where you said you downloaded the patch but you did not say that you installed the patch, I also see that you did not mention a problem with installing the patch. So, I would have to assume that you installed the program from the DVD as well.

And, as to your earlier stated problem with Vista, I am sure that TMLFAN4LIFE can attest to the fact that Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games 2008 works quite well on Vista, as long as a 'clean' install is performed. So, once again, it would seem that your problems are being caused by something else that is going on in your computer. First thought that comes to mind is that your computer was not in tip-top shape before the install, as described in this FAQ

Pre-Install Checklist: Before installing software

As to your questions about the 2009 version of Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games, it is not possible to connect to the web with it and play other people who have purchased the game.

nnaagg -> RE: No more Avalon...... why?.... (9/23/2008 1:11:32 AM)

Thanks for all the info and for the games list. I have decided to try and do all those steps again (maybe with the kids taking me away from the computer every 2mins i didnt do something right..) I have uninstalled Hoyle and Runes of Avalon (i have them here both on seperate discs. I just purchased Runes of Avalon and it installs but when i click on the shortcut nothing opens.......) How do i know if im deleting something from another program thats important??

Brandy redux -> RE: No more Avalon...... why?.... (9/23/2008 2:10:58 AM)

Hi nnaagg,

When you said you just purchased Runes of Avalon, did you mean that you purchased Runes of Avalon on a separate CD? If so, you should not be having any problems at all with the CD version of Runes of Avalon. The only known problem with Runes of Avalon involves the version of Runes of Avalon which is installed with Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games 2008. And, I know that for a fact - because I have installed and run both versions of Runes of Avalon on my computer. And, even though the Runes of Avalon which is installed with Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games 2008 did stop running until I installed the patch, I never experienced any problems with the CD version of Runes of Avalon.

When you said, "I have uninstalled Hoyle and Runes of Avalon (i have them here both on seperate discs," the Runes of Avalon that is installed with Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games 2008 will uninstall when Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games 2008 is uninstalled. So, if you actually did uninstall Runes of Avalon, you must mean that you uninstalled the CD version of Runes of Avalon, which is an entirely separate version of Runes of Avalon.

As to your question, "How do i know if I'm deleting something from another program that's important??", if you uninstalled both programs from Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel, then you did nothing more than to follow the directions in this FAQ

the only things you should have deleted were files and folders related to either Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games 2008 and Runes of Avalon. And, if that is what you did, you would not have deleted anything relating to another program.

As I said before, the best course of action for you would be to do the following (steps A, B and C). But, now that it appears that you are working with 2 different versions of Runes of Avalon, it would be advisable for you to do a thorough uninstall of both versions (Step A), then a complete computer cleanup (Step B), then a 'clean' install of both programs (Step C). Then, install the patch for Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games 2008.

And, if ABSOLUTELY ALL steps are followed exactly as described, you should not experience any problems at all when you try to run either version of Runes of Avalon. HOWEVER, it would be a very good idea to do the 'clean' install of both programs into their default install folders on the C:\ drive. If you have been installing the program to a different folder or onto a different drive, that might be what is causing your problem.

Step A. Click on this link

and follow ALL directions in that FAQ for uninstalling Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games 2008

Step B. Click on this link

Computer Cleanup on WinXP, WinVista & Win7

And, since you have experienced so many other problems on your computer, it is critically important that you do NOT skip this step.

Step C. Click on this link

'Clean' Install on Win98/Me/XP/2000/Vista/Win7

nnaagg -> RE: No more Avalon...... why?.... (9/23/2008 2:29:39 AM)

Im up to Run Check Disc then will defragment and will try to install Hoyle and Avalon by your instructions [:)] Yes i purchased a seperate Avalon disc and i didnt think id have any problems.... All installed like usual and it put a shortcut on my desktop but when i clicked on it to play nothing would come up...... no game..... nothing....... [:(]

nnaagg -> RE: No more Avalon...... why?.... (9/23/2008 7:00:16 AM)

OH MY GOD IT WORKS!!!! I did everything you said and it worked!!! THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU!!!! [:D][:D][:D] The Hoyle Avalon works and so does the Avalon disc!!! You have made my night!!!! Lets hope it stays this way [;)]

Brandy redux -> RE: No more Avalon...... why?.... (9/23/2008 12:27:00 PM)

Great News nnaagg,[:D]

I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything keeps working the way it is supposed to.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4
1.757813E-02