PM *.abk Address Book vs PS Ultimate Mail Manager (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality

lindarobin -> PM *.abk Address Book vs PS Ultimate Mail Manager (12/9/2008 2:56:08 PM)

Hi, Brandy! I know this is something you have expertise with.

Before I had Print Shop, I had PrintMaster and with PM, I set up my Address Book to do my mail merge projects. This Address Book is ABK format.

Print Shop uses UMM which cannot open my ABK file.

Are there more advantages to using UMM for mail merging? Would you recommend switching?

Brandy redux -> RE: PM *.abk Address Book vs PS Ultimate Mail Manager (12/9/2008 3:13:34 PM)

Hi lindarobin,

I don't actually have much expertise (or experience [;)]) with the Broderbund Address Books, because I have always kept my personal Address Books in MSAccess. I just keep test Address Books in PrintMaster and Print Shop for reference when I help users on the forums.

But, if I were to use a Broderbund Address Book, I would most definitely use the Print Shop's Ultimate Mail Manager - because Print Shop's *.AB2 file defaults to the My Documents folder and can be saved anywhere, while PrintMaster's *.ABK file MUST be stored in the Books folder at

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Broderbund Software\Print\PrintMaster

And, since the My Documents folder on my computer is NOT on the C:\ drive, I don't have to worry about losing an Address Book when I do a reformat.

And, the Print Shop Address Book has a lot more built-in fields.

However, after selecting a sort order in the PrintMaster Address Book, the user can create a mail merge project in PrintMaster which will print the entries based on the selected Sort Order in the Address Book, while Print Shop mail merge projects always print alphabetically by first name.

So, if sorting is an issue for you, you might want to stick with PrintMaster.

lindarobin -> RE: PM *.abk Address Book vs PS Ultimate Mail Manager (12/9/2008 9:26:50 PM)

Me, too, I created a test AB2 file just to understand Print Shop's method.

I do like the sorting function with the PM Address Book. For now I'll keep it, as I'm more used to it so it seems easier to me. Should be straightforward to export/import the info to UMM when the need arises.

Thanks for your insight!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4