Non Admin or Limited User (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Education Software] >> [Advantage Series] >> High School Advantage

Chuck -> Non Admin or Limited User (11/1/2010 9:38:52 AM)

I've successfully installed and ran Middle and HS Advantage but when my daughter logs in on her limited User account, the system will not run correctly. I can click the buttons for the different subject area's but nothing happens.

What needs to be completed or configured for her to run the software as a limited user?

Thanks

Brandy redux -> RE: Non Admin or Limited User (11/1/2010 1:09:26 PM)

Hi Chuck,

The problem you are experiencing is due to the fact that the Advantage software was originally designed before WinXP was released. All software programs which were designed before WinXP was released assume that all users will have access to all files and folders on the computer - which Limited User Accounts do not have. After Computer Administrator/Limited User accounts were introduced in WinXP, many software designers chose to not update the software to allow Limited User accounts to use the software. And, the Advantage software is one of those software programs which was never updated to allow Limited User accounts to use the software.

So, if you are not willing to elevate your daughter's permissions to Administrator, your only option would be to change the permissions for the Advantage software folders.

Brandy redux -> RE: Non Admin or Limited User (11/1/2010 4:39:39 PM)

One Additional Note Chuck,

It is possible to give your daughter Administrator privileges for only the Advantage software by using the 'Run As' command which is described in this Microsoft FAQ

HOW TO: Use the RUN AS Command to Start a Program as an Administrator

However, the 'Run As' command will require your daughter to enter an administrator password. And, your daughter will have use the 'Run As' command and enter the administrator password every time she wants to use the Advantage software.

If this is a deal breaker for you, and if you purchased the Advantage software from a retail store within the last 90 days or from broderbund.com within the last 30 days, you are eligible for a refund, as can be seen by clicking on the link below

Refunds

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4