program stops working and runtime error (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality

C.W. -> program stops working and runtime error (4/4/2012 7:29:45 PM)

I have The Printshop 23 and have used it for several years. I've enjoyed using it and have had only a few problems off and on. However, I've recently been having some issues that I can't remedy (the program stops working and I sometimes get a runtime error message). So, here I am.

First, I searched through the forum topics that have to do with PS23. I found two topics written by Brandy redux, "Error: The program has stopped working" and "Runtime Error". Then, I followed and completed all steps in both messages. But, I am still having the same problems and I don't know what else to do.

In case you need to know in order to help me, I have an HP-Pavillion PC, with 3.00 GB total RAM, and a 32-bit system type. My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. And my display device (video driver) is NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT with approx. 1521 MB total memory and a display mode of 1600 X 900 (32 bit) (60Hz) and is up-to-date.

I'd appreciate your help with this matter.

Thank you.

Chris

Brandy redux -> RE: program stops working and runtime error (4/4/2012 7:52:37 PM)

Hi Chris,

Before I can take a shot at your problem, I will need to know the EXACT (word-for-word) text of the runtime error you are receiving.

However, if you will click on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=39725&mpage=1&key=鬭

you will see that the most common runtime error which is encountered while using Print Shop is the 'Visual C++ Runtime Error' - for which the recommended solution is to uninstall then reinstall Microsoft® .NET Framework 1.1, then perform a computer cleanup.

C.W. -> RE: program stops working and runtime error (4/8/2012 2:58:36 PM)

Thank you for replying to my message, Brandy. I'm sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. But, I was out of town.

Anyway, I finally completed EVERYTHING suggested in the links you sent and in the order given. However, it didn't work. I'm getting the same results as before. The message I'm receiving is as follows:

"The Print Shop has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." Then there is a box with "Close program". When I click on that, the program closes.

If you have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

Thank you.

Chris

Brandy redux -> RE: program stops working and runtime error (4/8/2012 3:34:43 PM)

Hi Chris,

As can be seen in this "Error: The program has stopped working" FAQ

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=41214

the error message you are receiving is telling you that your Print Shop 23 installation is corrupt. And, the recommended solution for that problem is to perform the 1) thorough uninstall, 2) computer cleanup and 3) 'clean' reinstall.

I have noted in your first message in this thread where you said that you had already found that "Error: The program has stopped working" FAQ and followed the directions.

The most important thing to keep in mind about the instructions in that FAQ is that all steps must be performed EXACTLY as recommended AND without skipping any steps or adding any steps:

* After you perform the standard uninstall, you must search the hard drive and manually delete all Print Shop files and folders that are found by that search.

* After all files and folders are manually deleted, you must perform - at the very least - Steps 1 thru 6 of the Computer Cleanup.

* After performing the computer cleanup, you must perform a 'clean' install - making sure that all background programs are deselected in the Startup folder of MSConfig BEFORE inserting the install disc into the drive.

When all of those steps are followed EXACTLY as recommended, the problem should be corrected. So, if you have already followed those directions and you are still experiencing the problem, that would indicate that you either did not perform the directions EXACTLY as recommended OR you either skipped one or more steps OR you added one or more steps to the process.

So, the only option that I can recommend is for you to repeat the entire process. However, before you do anything, you might want to think back to changes that might have been made to your computer shortly before you started experiencing problems with Print Shop 23 - because, since you said this in your first message above:

"I have The Printshop 23 and have used it for several years. I've enjoyed using it and have had only a few problems off and on. However, I've recently been having some issues that I can't remedy (the program stops working and I sometimes get a runtime error message)."

that would indicate that the problems you are experiencing are being caused by a recent change to the computer.

And, when I did a little research - based on your statement that you have an NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT video card with approx. 1521 MB total memory and a display mode of 1600 X 900 (32 bit) (60Hz) - I discovered that since the 1600 x 900 screen resolution is considered to be an outdated 16:9 screen resolution which is no longer selectable on newer NVIDIA video cards, you might want to change the screen resolution to a different setting. HOWEVER, if your screen resolution has always been 1600 x 900 - even when Print Shop 23 was working correctly - that is probably not related to your problem.

C.W. -> RE: program stops working and runtime error (4/9/2012 5:44:02 PM)

Well, I finally finished completing ALL of the steps EXACTLY as recommended. And guess what--I'm still having the same problems.

Also, I can't think of any changes to my computer prior these problems. But, I'll try to explain to you what I was doing at the time I began experiencing problems.

I was creating an art project using small square shapes and several colors to form a quilt-like pattern. Because there is a lot of duplication, I was just copying and pasting the main part and then using the "flip" option to combine the sections. Well, that worked fine until I started trying to copy and paste a fifth part. That's when I started getting the runtime error and Print Shop has stopped working messages. Luckily, I was "saving" every little thing I was doing. So, I never lost any of my work when the program closed. However, when I reopen the project in PS and try editing it by using copy and paste or by using duplicate, I am still getting those messages. But, I have noticed that when I use copy and paste, the only message that comes up is the "The Print Shop has stopped working...." message. However, when I try using the duplicate option, I first get the "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" message and after I close it, I get the "Print Shop has stopped working...."

Now, I don't know if it matters about the file size of this project which is a little over 16,000 KB at this point. Right before working on this present project, I completed a similar project that is a little over 131,000 KB. But, I've created other projects that have large file sizes also. The only thing that these large files seem to do is load slowly into PS and cause the program to run more slowly when I want to edit or save.

So, what do you suggest?

I'm sorry that I'm taking up so much time with this problem. But, I don't know what else to do. I'm really frustrated.

I DO appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Chris

Brandy redux -> RE: program stops working and runtime error (4/9/2012 5:48:54 PM)

Hi Chris,

Before I can suggest anything else, I will need an answer to one question:

Do you receive the error messages with all Print Shop 23 projects or with only one Print Shop 23 project?

If you receive the error message with only one Print Shop 23 project, that would indicate that the project file is corrupt.

If you receive the error message with all Print Shop 23 projects, that would indicate that you have not yet removed all corruption.

ellengard -> RE: program stops working and runtime error (4/9/2012 11:29:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: C.W.
...I was just copying and pasting the main part and then using the "flip" option to combine the sections. Well, that worked fine until I started trying to copy and paste a fifth part. That's when I started getting the runtime error ...

...the file size of this project which is a little over 16,000 KB... But, I've created other projects that have large file sizes also. The only thing that these large files seem to do is load slowly into PS and cause the program to run more slowly when I want to edit or save.

While very large file size can be problematic, if you can still edit your other large files, then I think perhaps the problem may be too many layers. Every time you paste, you add another layer. Duplicating your existing layers doubles, then quadruples the number of layers.

I recommend exporting your project as JPG which will give you a single flat image. Then import that JPG into a new project and continue building upon your design until the number of layers starts causing trouble again. Export as JPG and import it into another new project.

C.W. -> RE: program stops working and runtime error (4/10/2012 3:27:03 PM)

Oh my heck! It works! I followed your suggestions, ellengard. I was able to complete the project that started this whole mess in the first place. I didn't realize that I can do art projects this way. I am going to use this method from now on. Thank you so much.

And, thank you very much, Brandy, for the time and effort you put into helping me. I'm sorry that I didn't mention from the beginning the part about the large files. I just didn't think it was significant at the time. But, obviously, it was important. However, my computer and my Print Shop program are probably running the best that they ever have after all the stuff I've done. Not only that, this has been a good learning experience for me.

Thank you, again, to both of you.

Chris

Brandy redux -> RE: program stops working and runtime error (4/10/2012 3:40:24 PM)

Wonderful News Chris, [:D]

Thank You Very Much for letting us know that our advice helped.

And, please don't worry about taking up our time - because we always enjoy helping users with their problems at any time.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4