Problem with OS 10.7.4 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Education Software] >> Spongebob Squarepants Typing

bruce1293 -> Problem with OS 10.7.4 (8/8/2012 11:17:25 AM)

Just installed SpongBob Squarepants Typing on a new MacBook Pro with Retina display running Mac OS 10.7.4. Having display problems. The window about updates that pops up when you first launch the program has the words all bunched together and is unreadable. It should say "No update was found for this application". Also when you create a user name that after you type each character, the letters are bunched together and you can barely make out the name. Another thing I noticed is that when you are in the practice session where there is a window that looks like a black board showing 10 different practice names, the lines are bunched together and so are the words. There are probably other sections that don't correctly display words, but I don't have the time to chase them all down. I tried adjusting the display resolution with no luck, either. This program is not useable on a Mac running 10.7.4. I then installed the program on a older MacBook Pro(intel) running 10.6.8 and everything looked fine. I also installed it on an older MacBook Pro(PowerPC) running 10.6.8 and it would not run on that system period. I'm not surprised and not worried about it. I tried installing it on a Lenovo laptop running Windows XP, SP3 and those same problem areas are fine. The big concern is why it wouldn't run on 10.7.4 and when will there be a fix for it?
BTW, I could not figure out how or where to contact tech Support by email or phone.

Brandy redux -> RE: Problem with OS 10.7.4 (8/8/2012 12:36:50 PM)

Hi bruce,

The problem you are experiencing is very likely due to the fact that the Minimum System Requirements for Spongebob Squarepants Typing specifically states that Spongebob Squarepants was designed for only these Operating Systems

G3 233 MHz or faster Mac OS 8.6-9.2 and OS X 10.1.5-10.3

So, Spongebob Squarepants Typing might not be compatible with Mac OS X Lion.

Even though I am not able to check that fact - because I do not have access to a Mac OS X Lion computer - I can confirm that Spongebob Squarepants Typing works quite well on my Snow Leopard.

As to where you said this:

"The big concern is why it wouldn't run on 10.7.4 and when will there be a fix for it?"

Since Spongebob Squarepants was actually designed before Mac OS X Lion was released, there may be no fix for your problem. However, even Technical Support might not know the answer to that question.

As to where you said this:

"BTW, I could not figure out how or where to contact tech Support by email or phone."

If you will click on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=24071

you will be able to access the FAQ which describes how to contact Technical Support.

bruce1293 -> RE: Problem with OS 10.7.4 (8/9/2012 7:31:31 AM)

The specs on the back of the box say Macintosh: OS x10.6 or greater, Intel processor 1GHz or faster, 1GB RAM, 1GB free hard drive space, 800x6000 min screen resolution, DVD-Rom drive, keyboard, mouse , speakers.
If I saw "10.6 or greater" I would think 10.7 is greater than 10.6 so it should work.

Brandy redux -> RE: Problem with OS 10.7.4 (8/9/2012 11:30:34 AM)

HI bruce1293.

The Minimum System Requirements for most Mac software specifies the Operating Systems for which the software was designed, then says "or greater". However, as with PC software, the software is guaranteed to run ONLY on the Operating Systems listed in the Minimum System Requirements. And, it is a known fact that several Broderbund/Encore/Hoyle products are not compatible with Mac OS X Lion - because, as is stated in the Technical Support Technical Notes for those products:

Problem

My Program will not work with Mac OSX Lion.

Solution

This is due to a compatibility issue between Appleā€™s new operating system and Java. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do at this time to remedy this issue between this program and OS X Lion.

Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6, will work fine however, 10.7 Lion can't install due to a permissions change on the /Library/Application Support/ folder. This issue is being reviewed by our development staff and a work around is being investigated. We will update this article if and when a solution is made available.

Brandy redux -> RE: Problem with OS 10.7.4 (8/9/2012 11:37:47 AM)

Hi again bruce1293,

I should have mentioned earlier that the reason why I recommended that you contact Technical Support is because the Support site for Spongebob Squarepants Teaches Typing here

http://support.encore.com/technicalsupport/product_detail.aspx?product_id=2027

does not yet contain any specific information about whether or not Spongebob Squarepants Typing is compatible with Mac OS X Lion. And, since moderators on these forums are volunteers only, who are neither employed by nor connected with either Customer Service or Technical Support, we do not have access to technical documents which provide information regarding issues such as these.

Deleted User -> [Deleted] (2/22/2022 4:00:13 AM)

[Deleted by Admins]

Deleted User -> [Deleted] (2/22/2022 4:19:02 AM)

[Deleted by Admins]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4