getting runtime error when printing to pdf in the print shop 20 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Printing Specific Issues

milomorai -> getting runtime error when printing to pdf in the print shop 20 (12/3/2012 4:08:18 PM)

I have a large file > 900Mb that I tried to print to PDF in both Nitro PDF and Cute PDF. Both times I got a runtime error that said the program was requesting it to shut it down. My wife also got that error when she was printing it out even though she had already done that one time before. My system is running an I5 CPU with 32GB ram and a Vertex3 120Gb ssd main HDD as well as plenty of secondary storage. The CPU never gets over 45C so temp is not an issue. I will post the entire error message later since I am at work now.

ellengard -> RE: getting runtime error when printing to pdf in the print shop 20 (12/3/2012 6:14:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: milomorai
I have a large file > 900Mb that I tried to print to PDF in both Nitro PDF and Cute PDF.

WARNING: If your Print Shop 20 project file is over 20 MB there is the possibility that subsequent edits and saves will corrupt your file and it will be irretrievable.

The major problem here is that your file is too big to convert. On top of that, it's a Print Shop 20 file which is not fully compatible with any PDF writer. Use any PDF writer with PS20 and the fonts will NOT embed. Without embedded fonts, the PDF size explodes.

You will not be able to convert your Print Shop project, the way it is now, to PDF.

Suggestions:

Recreate your project in MS Word, MS Publisher, or Serif Page Plus, so that your PDF programs will be able to create a PDF with embedded fonts.

Split your project into smaller ones. e.g. turn a 30 page project into three 10 page projects.

If you do not have one of the other programs I mentioned, here is a possible workaround solution.

Export each page of your PS20 project as high resolution JPG. Combine all the JPG files into a multi-page PDF. I am assuming that Nitro PDF has a document assembly function.

milomorai -> RE: getting runtime error when printing to pdf in the print shop 20 (12/6/2012 8:53:13 AM)

I tried to print a portion of the project, i.e. the first 10 pages and got the same error so I don't think that splitting it is the answer. We were also successful in converting a large file - > 300Mb - yo PDF under Win XP using the same PS20 program so it looks like this is just part of the known issue that Print Shop has with Win 7. I will try the other suggestions tho recreating the project in another program would drive my wife up a wall since she is the one who does these and she is not familiar or comfortable with them. Besides that there are a lot of photos embedded in it.

ellengard -> RE: getting runtime error when printing to pdf in the print shop 20 (12/6/2012 9:23:13 AM)

Splitting the project is to give you workable backups in the event your 900+ MB file is lost due to corruption during an edit/save attempt. Print Shop 20 was not designed for files over 20 MB.

Have you tried exporting each page as JPG?

ellengard -> RE: getting runtime error when printing to pdf in the print shop 20 (12/6/2012 10:51:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: milomorai
...recreating the project in another program would drive my wife up a wall since she is the one who does these and she is not familiar or comfortable with them. Besides that there are a lot of photos embedded in it.

I understand, especially as there is no guarantee that these programs can manage a 900+MB file. Even if you were to recreate the project, I would strongly suggest you do it as a few smaller files instead of one gigantic one. The PDFs generated from these programs are superior in quality, yet smaller in file size. That's the only reason I would consider undertaking the effort.

Is it necessary to have a PDF version because you plan to send the file to a professional printer who requires a PDF? Would a series of JPGs be suitable? If not, it's a simple procedure to combine the JPGs into one PDF. This should eliminate the runtime error.

ellengard -> RE: getting runtime error when printing to pdf in the print shop 20 (12/6/2012 10:59:29 PM)

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=44704

In this previous thread, the user also received a runtime error. His problem was solved by flattening layers via JPG.

By exporting each page in your project as JPG, you create a simple flattened layer. You won't encounter any runtime error when you print the JPG.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4