Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality

alexlurch -> Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/10/2013 12:57:50 PM)

I recently purchased the Print Shop 23.1 and it installed fine on Windows 8. The main reason I bought the program is to use Ultimate Mail Manager. I have been using Parsons Address book for years on my old computer. Unfortunately every time I try to start UMM, I get the splash screen and then it immediately exits. Have tried using Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode but it doesn't help. Any ideas what else I can try? Thanks!

ellengard -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/10/2013 2:59:10 PM)

Hi. Sorry, we mostly know how to help with functionality questions like "how do I mail merge onto labels?" Tech support questions can be sent here:
http://support.encore.com/technicalsupport/

Hope they can help you.

JasonC -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/10/2013 6:03:05 PM)

You can thank Microsoft for this programming flaw in Windows 8. Some program interface routines in that operating system were re-written, making them ultimately incompatible with the system files needed to load the program.

alexlurch -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/10/2013 9:12:16 PM)

Thanks for the quick reply...not necessarily the answer I hoped for though! Guess next thing is to look into running a virtual machine of Win XP.

ellengard -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/10/2013 9:15:34 PM)

It runs well on Win7 which is what I am using, if that info is of any help.

lydia1740 -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/10/2013 10:08:44 PM)

Ultimate Mail Manager works quite well for me on a 32-bit version of Windows 8 - indicating that the problem might be a 64-bit incompatibility issue. But, Ultimate Mail Manager works quite well for me on a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Possibly the problem is related to the fact that Ultimate Mail Manager has never been upgraded from the original version 1.0b which was designed for only Windows 95, 98, NT. Interesting that Ultimate Mail Manger made it all the way to Windows 8 before it encountered a compatibility problem.

alexlurch -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/10/2013 11:41:34 PM)

I'm using 64 bit Windows 8 so maybe that is the difference. I just want to make sure there is not some obscure setting or other issue in my Windows 8 that I'm missing.

alexlurch -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/10/2013 11:51:36 PM)

I've also emailed the tech support that ellengard mentioned and will let you all know if I get an answer.

SamCW04 -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/12/2013 12:50:46 PM)

Tech Support doesn't normally work nights or weekends. So, while you are waiting for a reply, you could address the fact that Ultimate Mail Manager is a stand-alone program which can be opened without first opening Print Shop. The first thing you'll want to do is to restart your computer. Then, without starting any other programs, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Broderbund\UMM then double-click on the adbook.exe file. If Ultimate Mail Manager opens, it might be that your Print Shop installation is corrupt. If so, you might want to take a look at this FAQ http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=41214&mpage=1&key=

alexlurch -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/12/2013 12:56:08 PM)

SamCW04, thanks for the idea. I did try that already though and the results were exactly the same...UMM quits right after the splash screen comes up with no error messages.

SamCW04 -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/12/2013 1:26:28 PM)

The fact that you are not able to open UMM on your 64-bit Win 8 would take you back to TMLFAN4LIFE's statement that the problem is being caused by the fact that the program interface was rewritten. But, I am able to run UMM on my 32-bit Win8. And, Broderbund's web site says that Print Shop 23.1 is compatible with Windows 8, which might be due to the fact that all Broderbund programs have always been designed for only 32-bit Operating Systems. That would have to mean that the rewritten program interface which TMLFAN4LIFE mentioned applies to only 64-bit versions of Windows 8. If that is the case, there's a very good chance that you will never be able to use UMM on your 64-bit Win 8. I will be watching to see what you post after you deal with Tech Support.

JasonC -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/12/2013 5:00:27 PM)

The only other thing that I can think of is disable visual themes under the compatibility tab. This might help and it might not. I really don't get how radically different Windows 8 is from the rest of the operating systems out there. Perhaps Microsoft left some "legacy" programming out and that made some programs that worked with other operating systems not work.

Just like when Sony redesigned the Playstation 2 in a slim model resulting in some games not working because of some components missing from the redesign.

ellengard -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/12/2013 5:59:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: alexlurch
... I have been using Parsons Address book for years on my old computer.

The latest version of Parsons Address Book was version 7.0 prior to renaming it to Ultimate Mail Manager. There’s limited support because its software development ended years ago.

Are you in the situation where you won't be able to open your AB2 files without UMM? If so, I'll be happy to export your AB2 file to comma separated value file or tab delimited format, so that you can print it out or import it into Excel or any email client software.

CrystalE -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/13/2013 12:46:27 AM)

quote:

UMM quits right after the splash screen comes up with no error messages.

There's one other option you might want to try. Go to the Startup folder in Task Manager, make a list of the items that are Enabled, then Disable all of those items. Restart the computer then try UMM again. If that solves the problem, you might want to take a look at Step 6 in this FAQ http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=40534 As you will see, that FAQ references Windows 7 and earlier Operating Systems. But, even though some of the recommended directions in that FAQ for performing certain functions are quite different from Windows 8, the basic information in that FAQ applies just as well to Windows 8. And, if disabling the Startup items doesn't solve the UMM problem, you might find the solution in one of the other steps in that FAQ.

alexlurch -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/13/2013 10:54:05 AM)

SamCW04

I heard from tech support, but they have been less than completely helpful so far. The wanted to make sure my account had administrator access, which it did. I told them the same and will wait to see if I hear more. Here is their complete response:

Thank you for contacting Customer Support.

This product is supported and intended to be used only when logging in using full administrator rights. Please make sure that your login has Administrator rights or try using the root Administrator login and try the product again. If you don't know whether or not your normal account is an Administrator account, please do the following:

1. If you don't know your logon name, click on 'Start'. Then, look for your logon name at the top or bottom of the Start menu.
2. Go to 'Control Panel' then open 'User Accounts'.
3. When the 'User Accounts' window opens, look under your logon name. If you DO NOT see the word 'Administrator' under your logon name, you SHOULD NOT attempt to install software - because ONLY Administrator accounts should install software on WinXP, Win2000, WinVista or Windows 7.

If you have multiple users on your Windows XP computer and want unrestricted access to the program, please contact Microsoft Support for assistance in configuring your system.

alexlurch -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/13/2013 11:52:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TMLFAN4LIFE

The only other thing that I can think of is disable visual themes under the compatibility tab. This might help and it might not. I really don't get how radically different Windows 8 is from the rest of the operating systems out there. Perhaps Microsoft left some "legacy" programming out and that made some programs that worked with other operating systems not work.

Just like when Sony redesigned the Playstation 2 in a slim model resulting in some games not working because of some components missing from the redesign.

In Windows 8, under program properties the compatibility tab offers reduced color mode, 640 x 480 resolution, and disable display scaling on high DPI settings. I tried all of these with no luck.

Thanks so much for all the help so far though!

alexlurch -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/13/2013 12:12:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrystalE

There's one other option you might want to try. Go to the Startup folder in Task Manager, make a list of the items that are Enabled, then Disable all of those items. Restart the computer then try UMM again. If that solves the problem, you might want to take a look at Step 6 in this FAQ http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=40534 As you will see, that FAQ references Windows 7 and earlier Operating Systems. But, even though some of the recommended directions in that FAQ for performing certain functions are quite different from Windows 8, the basic information in that FAQ applies just as well to Windows 8. And, if disabling the Startup items doesn't solve the UMM problem, you might find the solution in one of the other steps in that FAQ.

Thanks Crystal, I gave it a try. I disabled all startup items, but no luck (though the computer in general seems to work a lot faster, and I don't miss any of the junk that was loading previously, thanks!). I'll look through the FAQ and see if anything else helps.

alexlurch -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/13/2013 12:17:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ellengard

The latest version of Parsons Address Book was version 7.0 prior to renaming it to Ultimate Mail Manager. There’s limited support because its software development ended years ago.

Are you in the situation where you won't be able to open your AB2 files without UMM? If so, I'll be happy to export your AB2 file to comma separated value file or tab delimited format, so that you can print it out or import it into Excel or any email client software.

Ellengard, it's really generous of you to offer to help. For me the beauty of the Address Book program was how easy it was to create different address groups, and print out address labels for mailings. That's why I'm trying so hard to make UMM (which I believe is basically the same program) work. I'm not familiar enough with Excel to know if it can do some of these same things. I haven't given up on making UMM work yet but either running UMM in a virtual machine or switching to excel might be my best options if I can't work it in Windows 8.

alexlurch -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/13/2013 12:24:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lydia1740

Ultimate Mail Manager works quite well for me on a 32-bit version of Windows 8 - indicating that the problem might be a 64-bit incompatibility issue. But, Ultimate Mail Manager works quite well for me on a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Possibly the problem is related to the fact that Ultimate Mail Manager has never been upgraded from the original version 1.0b which was designed for only Windows 95, 98, NT. Interesting that Ultimate Mail Manger made it all the way to Windows 8 before it encountered a compatibility problem.

Just because I seem to be compulsive about solving the issue, I installed The Print Shop 23.1 on another computer running Windows 7 64-bit. Unfortunately, the Ultimate Mail Manager in this install shows the same symptoms I got on the first computer I tried using Windows 8 64-bit. The rest if the Print Shop programs worked fine though. In other words, unlike for Lydia, Ultimate Mail Manager did not work for me on Windows 7 64-bit. Getting more frustrated...but I am cheered by the amount of suggestions I am getting from everyone!

Now I am wondering if perhaps the DVD of the Print Shop I am using may have a corrupted file for UMM? How would I know?

CrystalE -> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 (1/13/2013 12:33:59 PM)

Yes, if UMM displays the same symptoms on another computer running Windows 7 64-bit, that problem is very likely being caused by the DVD. UMM works as designed for me on Windows 7 64-bit. Of course, if you did not perform the clean install or the other steps which are described in the 5. Troubleshooting Installation Problems FAQ which I recommended (most especially the Pre-Install Checklist: Before installing software step), that might be a factor. So, if I were you, I would walk through the steps in that 5. Troubleshooting Installation Problems FAQ, performing each step as recommended.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4