Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

How to transfer to new computer

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Games] >> Clue Classic >> How to transfer to new computer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to transfer to new computer - 7/6/2009 4:48:27 PM   
nev.r.chk

I just recently got Clue Classic for my son and I to play (great game by the way). We will be replacing the computer soon with a newer laptop, and I need/want to transfer our progress - how do I do this ??? I've seen the save/load buttons, but I don't know if it will save/load everything (his profile and awards, my profile and awards, current game, etc) so we can pick up on the new laptop where we are now.

Thanks for any info!

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 7/6/2009 4:54:06 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: How to transfer to new computer - 7/6/2009 5:26:36 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi nev.r.chk,

First of all, I should tell you that I deleted the email address you posted in your message - for several reasons:

1. Spammers often come to forums such as these to collect posted email addresses.

2. Those of us who help on these user-to-user forums do not normally reply by email.

3. If any other registered user wishes to send you an email, all they would have to do is to click on the email link under your username. Your email address will not be displayed in any message sent to you.

As to your question about Clue Classic, I cannot specifically answer your question - because I do not have Clue Classic installed on my computer at the present time. However, since the game includes save/load buttons, one would have to assume that those buttons were intended to be used to transfer everything to another computer. And, one would also have to assume that the Clue Classic Help file should include the proper instructions for doing so. And, the Help file should include information as to exactly which information is Saved and which information is Loaded.

So, have you checked the Help file in Clue Classic yet?

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to nev.r.chk)
Post #: 2
RE: How to transfer to new computer - 7/7/2009 4:05:44 PM   
nev.r.chk

quote:

As to your question about Clue Classic, I cannot specifically answer your question - because I do not have Clue Classic installed on my computer at the present time. However, since the game includes save/load buttons, one would have to assume that those buttons were intended to be used to transfer everything to another computer. And, one would also have to assume that the Clue Classic Help file should include the proper instructions for doing so. And, the Help file should include information as to exactly which information is Saved and which information is Loaded.

So, have you checked the Help file in Clue Classic yet?

Thanks for removing my email address, I wasn't thinking about crawlers...

There is no help file or printed docs in the box with the CD, except for a CD size slip that says basically the same thing as a readme.txt file in the game folder. They both have system requirements, troubleshooting (which consists of 1: update your drivers and 2: update directx), credits, and this support forum URL for any technical support.

The Save option I referred to earlier is ONLY available once any player is in an actual game, not while at the main menu. I tried saving a game. It shows a file cabinet with 7 open slots. I tried saving a game, it takes up a slot, names the file with todays date and time, and shows pictures of the 3 characters I have playing that particular game, nothing else. No indications that it's saving any of the other player profile information.

I went looking for the file it might have created also. I looked in the Hasbro folder it created during installation, nothing there with any date stamps beyond the date when I installed the game.

I searched the drive to find anything created in the last day or so, I did find files in the Windows\Prefetch folder called
CLUE-CLASSIC.EXE-stringofnumbershere.pf with todays date, CLUESETUP.EXE-stringofnumbershere.pf with install date, CLI.EXE-stringofnumbershere.pf with todays date. Don't know if any of those are what I'm looking for.

Any ideas??

(in reply to Brandy redux)
Post #: 3
RE: How to transfer to new computer - 7/7/2009 4:13:14 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi nev.r.chk,

It sounds to me like the only purpose of the Save/Load buttons are to Save a game before it is finished then Load the game to finish it.

As to your desire to move your profile, awards, current games, etc., to a new computer, my guess would be that there may be no way to do so - because many games like Clue Classic don't offer such an option . But, if it is possible to do so with Clue Classic, the information you are looking for should be stored in files that include the user's registered name in the file name.

For More Help:

(in reply to nev.r.chk)
Post #: 4
RE: How to transfer to new computer - 7/9/2009 5:01:08 AM   
nev.r.chk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brandy redux
But, if it is possible to do so with Clue Classic, the information you are looking for should be stored in files that include the user's registered name in the file name.

I tried saving another game. I now have a save game under my profile, and one under my sons profile. Kinda neat that it only shows me MY save games when I'm logged on, and only shows him HIS save games when he is logged on.

But again, no save files with either my name or his name on the drive. I'm going to try installing the game on an old computer and try copying that CLUE-CLASSIC.EXE-stringofnumbershere.pf file to see if that is what it is reading.

I'll post once it's done. The computer I'm thinking of attempting this on has a broken screen, so it might be awhile until I get it hooked up to my OLD CRT to test this. I want to be sure what I'm doing before I try this with the new laptop once it's here.

Post #: 5
RE: How to transfer to new computer - 7/9/2009 1:40:53 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi nev.r.chk,

You could also do a search of your hard drive for files and folders with a name that contains either the word USER or the words CLUE CLASSIC.

And, if Clue Classic is installed in a folder which identifies the actual creator of Clue Classic (such as Hasbro, Atari, etc.), you could also search your hard drive for those names to see if the actual user files are stored in a separate location - much like the fact that the user settings for the recent Hoyle products are stored in these folders:

For WinXP:

C:\Documents and Settings\{your user name}\Application Data\Hoyle

For Vista:

C:\Users\{your user name}\AppData\Roaming\Hoyle

For More Help:

(in reply to nev.r.chk)
Post #: 6
RE: How to transfer to new computer - 7/10/2009 8:03:26 PM   
nev.r.chk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brandy redux

For WinXP:

C:\Documents and Settings\{your user name}\Application Data\{game name}

There is a folder there for Clue (it is a Hidden folder, that's why my basic search for date stamp files did not find it). There is a file that, when opened with notepad, has my profile name, my sons profile name, and LOTS of seemingly incoherent information in it, but I'm thinking this IS the file I want.

I will test this and advise, but next week doesn't look good for getting it done...

Thanks for the tip !

Post #: 7
RE: How to transfer to new computer - 7/10/2009 8:24:25 PM   
Brandy redux

Great news nev.r.chk,

Please do post back and let us know if that file does the job.

For More Help:

(in reply to nev.r.chk)
Post #: 8
RE: How to transfer to new computer - 8/9/2009 8:35:08 AM   
nev.r.chk

quote:

Please do post back and let us know if that file does the job.

I was able to move everything to the new laptop!
I had to copy all the files in this folder and move to the same folder on the new machine.

C:\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Application Data\GamesCafe\Clue\{5 digit number}

NOTE: Application Data folder was hidden. The 5 digit number seems to be dependent on your particular copy of the game. I have one for my retail copy and one for a demo I had installed with expired time.

Post #: 9
RE: How to transfer to new computer - 8/9/2009 11:04:36 AM   
Brandy redux

Thanks for the update nev.r.chk,

It's great to know that the transfer worked.

For More Help:

(in reply to nev.r.chk)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Games] >> Clue Classic >> How to transfer to new computer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4