Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

3DHA 3: Installing on WinXP, Vista & Windows 7

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [3D Home Architect Home & Landscape Design] >> General Functionality >> 3DHA 3: Installing on WinXP, Vista & Windows 7 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3DHA 3: Installing on WinXP, Vista & Windows 7 - 7/5/2011 7:37:57 PM   
Brandy redux

In the past, comments I have made about whether or not it is possible to successfully install 3D Home Architect 3.0 on WinXP, Vista and Windows 7 were based on information I received from regular users of 3DHA 3. Since I have recently been receiving conflicting information from those users, I decided that the time had come for me to research the situation myself. Following is what I discovered:

3D Home Architect 3.0, which was released under the Broderbund brand name, was copyrighted 2001 by TLC Productivity Properties (aka The Learning Company)

Minimum System Requirements

Windows 95/98/ME/2000
100MHz Pentium required; 120MHz Pentium recommended
16MB RAM required; 32MB RAM recommended
2X CD-ROM drive required; 4X CD-ROM or faster recommended
Video card with Direct 3D support required; Hardware 3D acceleration recommended
800x600 display, 256 Colors required
MS Windows pointing device required (mouse)
Printer support: Works with most printers (monochrome and color) supported by Windows

64-bit Operating Systems

3DHA 3.0 cannot be installed on any 64-bit Operating System. Any attempt to do so will cause the following error message to be displayed:

That is caused by the fact that the software's setup.exe file contains 16-bit programming code - which was commonly used in software applications which were originally designed when 16-bit processors were the norm. Since 64-bit Operating Systems cannot handle 16-bit programming code, it is not possible to install 3DHA 3 on any 64-bit Operating System.

32-bit Operating Systems

** WinXP **

When a 'clean' install is performed - exactly as described in the FAQ below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=24104

3DHA 3.0 will install without incident on a 32-bit version of WinXP*

** Vista & Windows 7 **

When a 'clean' install is performed - exactly as described in the FAQ below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=24104

3DHA 3.0 will install without incident on a 32-bit version of either Vista or Windows 7*

However, the first time 3DHA 3.0 is started, the following error message will be displayed

This application has failed to start because d3drm.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem

When the Details of the problem are displayed, the following message will be displayed

This program requires d3drm.dll, which is no longer included in this version of Windows

I have confirmed that it is NOT possible to fix this problem by either:

* Right clicking on the 3DHA 3 icon, then selecting 'Run as Administrator'

or

* Using Compatibility Mode

The only way this problem can be fixed is to download/acquire the d3drm.dll file - such as from here

http://down.dllcure.com/English_5.2_64_Service%20Pack%201/WINDOWS/system32/d3drm.dll

then copy that file to this folder

C:\Windows\System32

3DHA 3 should then start normally in either Vista or Windows 7.

Since 3DHA 3 was designed before WinXP was released, and since regular 3DHA 3 users have reported experiencing problems with 3DHA 3 on WinXP, Vista and Windows 7, there is no guarantee that 3DHA 3 will work entirely as expected on WinXP, Vista or Windows 7 - even after a successful installation.

Following are the recommended solutions for common problems experienced with 3DHA 3 on WinXP, Vista and Windows 7**

Printing Problems

Any time a printing problem occurs, the first thing that should be done is to go to your printer manufacturer's web site to download and install the most current printer driver for both your Operating System and the version of the Operating System (32-bit or 64-bit). If you don't know which version you are using, go to 'Control Panel', select 'System', then look for something which says either '32-bit Operating System' or '64-bit Operating System'.

To access more tips for dealing with printer problems, please click on the link below:

Basic Printer Troubleshooting: http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=38503

Display Issues

If either the 3DHA 3 program or an open project does not appear as expected on the workspace (i.e. text and/or graphics are missing or are not displayed correctly), that would indicate that a display issue is being experienced. Since display issues are normally caused by the video card & the installed video card driver, the recommended solution for display issues is to click on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=27150

then follow the directions in that FAQ for updating your video card driver.

If updating your video card driver does not solve the problem, it is possible that your video card is not completely compatible with 3DHA 3.

Compatibility Issues

Since 3DHA 3 was not specifically designed for either WinXP, Vista or Windows 7, you might experience any number of compatibility issues. The recommended solution for compatibility issues is to click on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=24204

then follow the directions in that FAQ for your Operating System.

*Even though the installation process requires you to accept the installation of DirectX 6, DirectX 6 will not be installed over your currently installed version of DirectX - which will be newer than DirectX 6.

After the installation of 3DHA 3 on any Operating System, when the Registration window opens, you will want to click on the 'Register Later' button - because, since 3DHA 3 is such a very old program, it is no longer possible to register 3DHA 3.

If you are trying to install the version of 3DHA 3 which offers the free version of Print Shop, it is no longer possible to install that free version of Print Shop - because the free version of Print Shop requires you to first register 3DHA 3. So, when you are asked for the Registration Code for Print Shop, your only option is to click on the 'Cancel' button. You should then see a message which tells you that 3DHA 3 has been successfully installed.

** There are no downloadable patches for 3DHA 3.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 7/5/2011 9:43:40 PM >

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to [email protected]
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [3D Home Architect Home & Landscape Design] >> General Functionality >> 3DHA 3: Installing on WinXP, Vista & Windows 7 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4