Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Missing functions from TPS 23???

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.0 >> Missing functions from TPS 23??? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 8/7/2013 6:59:26 AM   
SisterC

I just installed The Print Shop 3.0 Professional, upgrading from 23.1 deluxe. I've noticed that there are several functionalities that I used regularly that are missing -

- blurred edges ("blur" blurs entire image - not good for photos when you just want soft edges)

- save selected objects only

- "see through effects" (textured transparency) on shapes

- free hand crop function in the photo editor is not adjustable once you've set the points - this is a pain when you make a mistake and you're 85% finished. You have to go back and redo the entire thing.

Are these functions gone from the program or am I just missing them? I tried checking the user's manual, but I can't find it. I really would like these back - I used them all the time.

Thank you!
Post #: 1
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 8/7/2013 10:56:28 AM   
ellengard

Version 3.0 is not the upgrade from 23.1. Both versions carry The Print Shop brand name, but they are different desktop publishing programs from different developers. 3.0 doesn't have the features you mention except it does have the opacity slider for all shapes, photos and clip art. (Opacity button is near top right corner.)

The user's manual is located here:
http://printshop.com/user-guide.aspx

(in reply to SisterC)
Post #: 2
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 8/8/2013 9:47:04 AM   
SisterC

Oh. I see. I wish that had been more clear in the description.
Thanks.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 8/8/2013 10:16:20 AM   
JasonC

quote:

ORIGINAL: SisterC

Oh. I see. I wish that had been more clear in the description.
Thanks.

If you purchased the product very recently you can get a refund of the product. See here for details:

http://support.encore.com/customerservice/refunds.aspx

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to SisterC)
Post #: 4
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 8/8/2013 10:42:39 AM   
ellengard

I think a program reaches a point where it can't be tweaked to work on newer and future operating systems. Version 3.0 was developed for Win7 and beyond.

(in reply to SisterC)
Post #: 5
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 10/3/2017 11:53:13 AM   
MCB

So to clarify.... I have Print Shop Deluxe 4.0 and I can't save a cropped image? And I can't save a single object or grouped objects on the whole page?? This seems very strange to me? A graphics program where you cant save the objects you are creating and editing?

In old PS23 a dialog opens when you go to save a project and ask you "SAVE WHOLE PAGE" or "SAVE SELECTED" or pixel size...

A huge, HUGE function I use all the time when creating. FOR EXAMPLE I just used a blank page project to create my email footer_signature. Using the "Guidelines" I worked within a 2.5" x 6" space. Now I can only save the image as the whole page? And even if I use the save whole page as a JPEG I can't then open that and crop it to the size I'm using because the entire image is always saved and you cant save a cropped image?

I'm lost with how to use this?? I'm missing something??

Thanks for you insights...

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 6
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 10/3/2017 12:46:05 PM   
JasonC

You can edit a copy of it so you don't overwrite the other. See the image I have attached. Although this image depicts clip art, the same goes for editing a copy of your image.

Attachment (1)

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to MCB)
Post #: 7
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 10/3/2017 3:19:21 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: MCB
... A graphics program where you cant save the objects you are creating and editing?

Absolutely, you can! When you save the project, the project is available for use with other projects. For example, you can group objects, then copy/paste them into another project.

quote:

...I just used a blank page project to create my email footer_signature. Using the "Guidelines" I worked within a 2.5" x 6" space. Now I can only save the image as the whole page?

If you want to save as JPG, then yes, the entire page is converted to JPG. You can create a custom size page that's 6x2.5. Then open your project and change paper stock for the current project via the Project tab and clicking the drop down arrow. Choose the new custom size page (or create the new size on the fly by clicking New/Edit).

If you plan on creating JPGs of specific dimension, you can start with a custom size page, knowing that when you save as JPG, your new JPG will be that dimension. Although it looks like a lot of work when you read these suggestions, after you do a couple of custom size pages, it becomes a simple and fast step. And you have that custom size to use over and over again.

(in reply to MCB)
Post #: 8
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 10/4/2017 12:01:06 PM   
MCB

I really need help with this my friends... (Print Shop 4.0 upgrade purchase.)

I have a created an email footer for my business.

I cant "select" it or "More Actions" drop-down to make a "copy to edit" I can't make a copy at all. I can't save just the object, it has to be a whole page. So I also can't pull that Footer into another project to work with it.

There's so many things I'm sure I'm making a stupid error or I'm just not used to this upgrade to 4.0 with how to save and use objects (and to create various projects over time.)

So here's an example of where I'm stuck. A Logo. I use the software to create one...shapes, and fonts, and text boxes and banners and colors; sizes and overlays to group together, at the end, it's my company logo. Obviously, Ill use that logo in many other projects over time. I need to save my Logo creative project as an object of that size so I can use it in my library later, OR post it to online Google/Social Media/Ads sites etc etc.

How do I create that Logo object and save it JPEG or PDF file (of course it has to be submitted over time in various sizes, resolution etc depending on who's asking for it. I make a copy of my Logo Object, manipulate for use, and send to the printer or whoever asked for it.)

Again, confusion over upgrade but I've really tried to figure it out?

Thanks again...

< Message edited by TMLFAN4LIFE -- 10/6/2017 9:42:40 PM >

(in reply to ellengard)
Revisions: 1 | Post #: 9
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 10/4/2017 12:18:26 PM   
ellengard

Make a custom paper stock, 6 inches wide; 2.5 inches tall. That takes care of ensuring your JPG will be 6x2.5.

(in reply to MCB)
Post #: 10
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 10/4/2017 2:39:31 PM   
MCB

Yep, I set up and the display paper is always elongated (6" high x 2" wide no matter how I enter the settings.)

Frustrating a bit.

...and if I do get my JPEG custom size 2x6 saved I'll be able to use it as an art object, yes?

thanks

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 11
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 10/4/2017 2:42:23 PM   
ellengard

Sorry, I should have added that all paper sizes are defined with the larger number as the height, the smaller number as the width. Do this. Then when you access the paper, choose landscape orientation.

(in reply to MCB)
Post #: 12
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 10/4/2017 3:26:18 PM   
ellengard

quote:

...and if I do get my JPEG custom size 2x6 saved I'll be able to use it as an art object, yes?

Yes, definitely. This is a JPG made completely in TPS 4. (saved at 75 dpi for screen display)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MCB)
Post #: 13
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 10/6/2017 4:06:56 PM   
MCB

First, Thanks for taking the time to help! I hope my frustration is not coming across rude...

Can I resize that logo? Or does it always have to be the same as the custom paper size? ie Logo may be resized often depending on use. I guess I'm asking if the custom paper size adds any limitations to art object use later?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 14
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 10/6/2017 6:24:40 PM   
ellengard

Always save the JPG you create at the highest res available. This will be your printable JPG. It is totally unnecessary to create multiple lesser resolution copies for print. You only need to downsample a copy for a web image. I would use MS Paint to accomplish that. Downsampling a high res copy gives you a better quality web image (i.e. less pixelation) than selecting the 75 dpi option.

With MS Paint, you can downsample to a specific pixel height/width.

My personal preference is to create my printable JPGs on a large canvas (e.g. 12x4 instead of 6x2). Then when I save as 300 dpi, I get a really high resolution JPG that will print sharper.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 10/6/2017 6:36:40 PM >

(in reply to MCB)
Post #: 15
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 10/6/2017 7:14:07 PM   
ellengard

quote:

Can I resize that logo?...I'm asking if the custom paper size adds any limitations to art object use later?

Any JPG can be resized to print however big you want it to be - it just gets blurrier the bigger you go because the number of pixels gets spread out over a larger area. That is why I like to create my JPG on the larger canvas, at the high res setting. So if later I decide I want a bigger size print, I've got the extra pixels to allow for sharper printing.

(in reply to MCB)
Post #: 16
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 10/6/2017 9:43:31 PM   
JasonC

Hi MCB! I just wanted to let you know that for privacy reasons I've removed your number from the forums.

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to MCB)
Post #: 17
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 10/18/2017 11:36:24 AM   
MCB

Sorry Sister C. I'm in the same boat.

NO saving objects

NO cut and paste from one project to another.

NO saving a simple Business Card

NO decent functions "drop shadow" "Radiant Glow" etc etc

Get a refund, they have ruined this product.

(in reply to SisterC)
Post #: 18
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 10/18/2017 3:08:12 PM   
ellengard

Yes, this is a DIFFERENT program, so all the things you say it can't do is not true. It can do all those things, just not the same mouse clicks you are used to in the program that is 5+ years older and originally developed for Win XP.

If you are interested, you can send me your project and I will do all those things for you to show you it is not impossible and not difficult.

(in reply to MCB)
Post #: 19
RE: Missing functions from TPS 23??? - 10/18/2017 4:04:46 PM   
MCB

I apologize for venting and I appreciate you are trying to help. "Print Shop is back, the award winning, most popular and better than ever..." so I was kind'of expecting the upgraded program going to 4.0

It's NOT your fault and yes it's a whole new product. So part of this is the time it takes to learn the new. Time is the issue.

Honestly, I don't see here how to upload a Project file here. My JPEG and PDF is too large for upload (because it's a whole page)
So then I have to upload to PicPost.org or other large file providers and send you the link. It's still a whole sheet of business cards.

I did what you suggested and created a custom sized paper of business card size 2.5x3 inches and saved it (but you have to create and save it under "signs" because if you save it as a business card stock it no longer gives you the option for "landscape" view.) Opened a new project using the new custom paper business card "sign" I created but I can not Copy and Paste my work from one project to another. (When I picked business card originally, and it has me working on a business card size stock, I assumed I could save just a business card. (not a JPEG or PDF whole sheet of them. Which makes the file size to large to send, or upload in many cases.)

The Logo I created on the front of the business card is an upgrade and I'd like to save just that for use in lots of other projects as an art object and also as it's own little project so we can size, update or change later. My Broker loves it and wants to use it too ("cant you just copy and paste the logo part? or save it as a JPEG...")

This is a lot of time and work-arounds I don't see working, but I'm am still listening and trying...

attaching a screen shot, best I can do for now. thanks

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.0 >> Missing functions from TPS 23??? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4