Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Events shared between calendars?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> Calendar Creator (2016 Release) >> Events shared between calendars? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Events shared between calendars? - 11/16/2017 9:39:06 PM   
jimpy

Hi,
I just successfully imported my CC12 events into CC2016. I'm working with two practice calendars to learn the CC2016. It looks like both calendars are sharing the same event list. Is this correct? Does it have to be this way? CC12 had a check box at the beginning of each event in the event list where the event could be turned on or off. I'm not seeing this in the CC2016.
I'm trying to make a calendar for my mother with all of her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren's birthdays and anniversaries. I also want to make a separate calendar for my mother-in-law with her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren's birthdays and anniversaries. I then want to make a calendar for my wife and I including all the events from both my mother and my mother-in-laws calendar. This was easy to do in CC12. How can I accomplish this in CC2016?
Thanks,
Jim
Post #: 1
RE: Events shared between calendars? - 11/16/2017 10:55:52 PM   
DEJenc3

Hi, Jim,

I'm not sure what you meant by two calendars sharing the same event list. I think that's unlikely, and might be risky even if possible, but CC2016 manages data in very different ways from CC12.1. I'm pretty sure that it's not possible for CC2016 and CC12.1 to use the same event list.

Since you have imports working, you may have to maintain separate calendars for each of your family configurations, including the necessary duplication. My immediate instinct is to maintain all names with birthdays in a spreadsheet or database outside Calendar Creator, and thenk filter and import the data to suit the calendar recipient. You could consider a field or fields with codes that correspond to the recipients. These would not import into Calendar Creator, but would be use externally for filtering. You'd have to save/export each filtered spreadsheet/database as a new one for importing purposes. I would have suggested using Calendar Creator Categories for filtering if you weren't limited to one Category for each event.

I believe the Event display toggle was dropped in the newest CC program. I always found it very useful in earlier versions. It had a limitation in that the field containing the toggle was not exported, so you couldn't distinguish displayed versus non-displayed events in your exported file.

I haven't worked much with CC 2016, so any of my comments are open to correction. No doubt there are ways of managing this in better ways than ones that occur to me now.

David

(in reply to jimpy)
Post #: 2
RE: Events shared between calendars? - 11/17/2017 6:10:36 AM   
JasonC

You can turn off categories by double clicking on either the month or year in the calendar and clicking on the Misc tab. But yes, this is limited to categories. I wish there was a way to turn off individual names but if you wanted that, I suppose a single name can be the name of a category. It's a 2 step process to do and can be time consuming.

Attachment (1)

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 3
RE: Events shared between calendars? - 11/17/2017 1:50:25 PM   
jimpy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DEJenc3

Hi, Jim,

I'm not sure what you meant by two calendars sharing the same event list. I think that's unlikely, and might be risky even if possible, but CC2016 manages data in very different ways from CC12.1. I'm pretty sure that it's not possible for CC2016 and CC12.1 to use the same event list.

David,
As I was was trying out features of CC2016, I opened a 'BASIC CALENDAR' and named it PRACTICE 1. I also opened a 'CREATE FROM SCRATCH' and named it PRACTICE 2. PRACTICE 2 calendar was the one I had open when I was finally able to import my CC12 events. When I closed PRACTICE 2 and opened PRACTICE 1, the events I had imported while PRACTICE 2 was open were already in PRACTICE 1. That's what I meant when I said that two calendars were sharing the same event.
So if I make two calendars, one named MOTHER and the other named MOTHER-IN-LAW, and import my mother's events into MOTHER, it appears that these events will also show up in MOTHER-IN-LAW.
Jim

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 4
RE: Events shared between calendars? - 11/17/2017 2:04:20 PM   
jimpy

quote:

ORIGINAL: TMLFAN4LIFE

You can turn off categories by double clicking on either the month or year in the calendar and clicking on the Misc tab. But yes, this is limited to categories. I wish there was a way to turn off individual names but if you wanted that, I suppose a single name can be the name of a category. It's a 2 step process to do and can be time consuming.

Jason,
I may have just thought of a fix. Please let me know if you think it will work. Suppose I make three new categories in the event list dialog box. One called MOTHER, one called MOTHER-IN-LAW, and the third called OURS. From the Event List dialog box, I drag my mother's families events into the category called MOTHER. I then do similarly for MOTHER-IN-LAW and OURS. Then as you suggested above, I turn on or off the appropriate categories for each calendar.
What do you think?
Jim

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 5
RE: Events shared between calendars? - 11/17/2017 3:31:35 PM   
jimpy

I have a new problem. I was going ahead with the idea I had just asked Jason about without waiting for his reply. I had made new categories named MOTHER and MOTHER-IN-LAW, dragged an event into MOTHER, and was about to drag more events when the CC2016 program froze. Up at the top it said NOT RESPONDING. After waiting a bit to see if it would start responding, I did a CTRL,ALT,DELETE to open the task manager and stopped CC2016. Then when I re-started the program everything seem fine at first. I was able to open one of my practice calendars, but the month grids were all invisible in the canvas area. The images I had brought into the calendar were visible, but the month grids were not. However, in the thumbnail/film strip view on the left side, both the images and grids were visible.
I tried opening a new calendar, but the same thing happened. The frames for importing photos were visible, but the actual calendar page grids were not visible. I then restarted my computer and reopened CC2016, but the result was the same. I then re-installed CC2016, but that didn't fix the problem either. Any ideas?

(in reply to jimpy)
Post #: 6
RE: Events shared between calendars? - 11/17/2017 6:20:46 PM   
JasonC

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news but if your files won't show what you've designed on the main sheet, they have magically been corrupted

I've seen other users of the program have this issue and when I obtain their test files, I get the same behavior on a clean machine with only that program installed. The only thing you can do at this point is to redesign the project from scratch

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to jimpy)
Post #: 7
RE: Events shared between calendars? - 11/17/2017 7:26:32 PM   
jimpy

Jason,
When you say 'project' are you referring to the calendars I have started and have been practicing on? How exactly do I 'redesign the project from scratch'? I don't see anywhere that I can delete the practice calendars I've been using.

What did you think of my idea about making three new categories in the event list dialog box. One called MOTHER, one called MOTHER-IN-LAW, and the third called OURS? Could this have been what corrupted my files?

Jim

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 8
RE: Events shared between calendars? - 11/17/2017 10:31:53 PM   
JasonC

So, here is the behavior I've observed:

You know the thumbnails on the left? They show you a preview of what you designed. Except when you click on one of them, you see a blank white sheet. I've done lots of research and can't currently find what's causing it. What you are doing most likely did not cause anything it's not known why the program does that.

The idea is great for keeping track of specific groups of events, that's the preferred way of doing stuff compared to no groups and seeing events all over other calendars

< Message edited by TMLFAN4LIFE -- 11/17/2017 10:33:45 PM >

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to jimpy)
Post #: 9
RE: Events shared between calendars? - 11/18/2017 8:42:59 AM   
jimpy

quote:

So, here is the behavior I've observed:

You know the thumbnails on the left? They show you a preview of what you designed. Except when you click on one of them, you see a blank white sheet. I've done lots of research and can't currently find what's causing it.

Thanks. Has this issue been reported to Tech Support or whomever else could solve the issue?

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 10
RE: Events shared between calendars? - 11/18/2017 9:36:03 AM   
jimpy

Okay, I have:
Used the control panel to uninstall CC2016.
Deleted the Calendar Creator folder from the Story Rock folder of the Program Data File.
Emptied the Recycle Bin.
Shut down my computer.
Restarted my computer.
Re-installed Calendar Creator 1.0.2.493.
Created a new Basic Calendar for Month Landscape 2.

Same problem. The calendar shows up in the thumbnail/filmstrip view on the left side of the page. The Calendar Cover Page and the 12 photo frame spots show up on the work space canvas, but the grids for the months are invisible.

Did I need to first install the original Calendar Creator 1.01.399 and then update to Calendar Creator 1.0.2.493? Since uninstalling and reinstalling hasn't worked, I have no idea of anything else to try.
JIm

(in reply to jimpy)
Post #: 11
RE: Events shared between calendars? - 11/18/2017 7:01:07 PM   
JasonC

Sorry for the delay in response, The developers are aware of this and they are currently in discussion with the developer in order to examine it. If you're willing to, I can send you an email through the forum and will give you my personal email address so you can send me the files that caused the behavior. We have some that had this example so the more we can get, the better.

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to jimpy)
Post #: 12
RE: Events shared between calendars? - 11/18/2017 9:44:14 PM   
jimpy

quote:

The only thing you can do at this point is to redesign the project from scratch

I would have been happy to send you the files, but in your post #6, you suggested I redesign the project from scratch. In an attempt to do that, I deleted those files. However, any new calendars I create exhibit the same behavior. I could send a new one if you felt that would help.

Since uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't solve this issue, I'm at a loss for what to do.

Jim

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 13
RE: Events shared between calendars? - 2/23/2018 11:51:17 AM   
jimpy

quote:

Sorry for the delay in response, The developers are aware of this and they are currently in discussion with the developer in order to examine it. If you're willing to, I can send you an email through the forum and will give you my personal email address so you can send me the files that caused the behavior. We have some that had this example so the more we can get, the better.

It has now been another three months. Has there been any progress on this CC 2016 issue? I was not able to use the program to create calendars for the 2018 calendar year as I has hoped to. Because I have uninstalled and reinstalled again, I now have files that exhibit the behavior. If you still feel it may help, please send your email address and I will send you a file or files.
Jim

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> Calendar Creator (2016 Release) >> Events shared between calendars? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4