Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Photo Editing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 4.0 >> Photo Editing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Photo Editing - 8/28/2019 11:39:53 AM   
efornwalt@aol.com

Is there a way to blur only the edges of a picture? I've got a few questions about photo editing after using Print shop 4 for over a year; however, I've managed to work around most of them. One other problem is in cropping directly from the screen, the whole cropped picture blurs. I've found if I go back to the original file picture and crop that works. Thanks for the help. Marge
Post #: 1
RE: Photo Editing - 8/28/2019 2:38:35 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

ORIGINAL: efornwalt@aol.com
Is there a way to blur only the edges of a picture?

Hi, Marge,
Unfortunately, no, the Image Editor does not have the tools for this. "Feathering" the edges is something you can do in Photoshop Elements or GIMP which is a free download.

quote:

One other problem is in cropping directly from the screen, the whole cropped picture blurs.

Cropped photos may appear blurry on the screen, but appear OK in the print preview and also print fine. I prefer to create a cropped version of my originals using MS Paint or PSE. Then I bring it into a Print Shop project, and there is no blurring.

When you crop using the Image Editor, it's not permanent. It can be uncropped. This has pros and cons.

(in reply to efornwalt@aol.com)
Post #: 2
RE: Photo Editing - 8/28/2019 5:31:40 PM   
efornwalt@aol.com

Thanks you so much for your response, Linda. Print Shop 22 did so many more things that I used, however, here I am on Windows 10 with Print Shop 4. A lot of the functions are sort of "hidden" and I thought I was missing the feathering function. Thanks for your help. Marge

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 3
RE: Photo Editing - 8/29/2019 1:05:45 PM   
lindarobin

http://printshop.com/blog
Print shop 4.0 doesn't have the same photo editor, but its primary function as a print layout program is good. I have written many blog articles to demonstrate some techniques and design ideas. I hope you have a look and find some useful.

Post #: 4
RE: Photo Editing - 8/31/2019 10:53:51 AM   
efornwalt@aol.com

Is Elements part of PS 4.0? I'm not sure how to go about downloading GIMP. My projects are pretty simplistic; I miss the few things that were so easy and available with 22. Pretty much greeting cards and calendars. Last year doing calendars, Jason gave me a list of steps to eliminate temporary files that would accumulate. I would have 40-50K of temp files to delete every couple hours or the program would bog down. Last year Jason had mentioned that there might be some discussion re. allowing PS 22 or 23 to work with Windows. I'm just hoping this comes about. Thanks again for your help with my questions re. editing pictures. Marge Fornwalt

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 5
RE: Photo Editing - 8/31/2019 12:22:56 PM   
lindarobin

You can Google GIMP to learn more about it and get the download link.

Adobe makes Photoshop Elements, the smaller version of Photoshop.

Post #: 6
RE: Photo Editing - 9/1/2019 4:34:23 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

...My projects are ...Pretty much greeting cards and calendars. Last year doing calendars, Jason gave me a list of steps to eliminate temporary files that would accumulate. I would have 40-50K of temp files to delete every couple hours or the program would bog down.

I have a few tips for card-making on the Blog. This one shows some cards made with really nice images from the clipart gallery that can be personalized with your photos:
http://printshop.com/blog/2018/12/23/holiday-photo-card.aspx

For calendars, this is my latest blog article about how to set up repeating events so you don't have to retype them every year:
http://printshop.com/blog/2019/8/1/calendar-repeat-annual-events.aspx

This is my technique for avoiding huge calendar project files that crash the program:
http://printshop.com/blog/2014/10/1/simplify-your-calendar-project.aspx

Post #: 7
RE: Photo Editing - 9/11/2019 4:40:59 PM   
efornwalt@aol.com

Thanks so much for all your information. I'm printing out this page for reference. I'm going to try to find your blog re. avoiding the large files when creating calendars. I'm hoping there's an answer for my problem. With the PS 4 for W10 temporary files are created by the thousands and bog down the computer. Motor running constantly, delayed movement of cursor, etc. I do have 5 individual calendars pulled up at once to add pictures. Every couple hours there are anywhere from 40K to 65K temp files accumulated. Last year Jason C. gave me a list of about 10 steps to go in and clear temp files which takes a few minutes, as well as clearing recycle bin which takes another few minutes. Not to mention closing down PS and everything you were working on a few times a day. I've never had to do this with a couple of the older versions of print shop over the years. I'll try checking your blog, if I can find it. As you can tell, I'm new to this site. Thanks so much for your help.

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 8
RE: Photo Editing - 9/11/2019 7:45:06 PM   
JasonC

Thanks Marge for stopping by here! We hope you're doing good!

I have had a chance to test Print Shop 5.0 for awhile and it's been doing very well on computers and I have seen an improvement on how the program launches.

Please call our 1-800 number and ask for me, I will make sure that we discuss version 5 with you and speak with you about your program :)

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

Post #: 9
RE: Photo Editing - 9/11/2019 7:57:24 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

... With the PS 4 for W10 temporary files are created by the thousands and bog down the computer. Motor running constantly, delayed movement of cursor, etc. I do have 5 individual calendars pulled up at once to add pictures. Every couple hours there are anywhere from 40K to 65K temp files accumulated.

I think you mean that thousands of KB of temp info are created, NOT thousands of files. Most graphic programs require a lot of scratch space to work - this is not unique to Print Shop. 65K is nothing - you must mean 65 MB (=65,000 KB) and even that is not a big deal. No way that should cause problems. More likely the problem is having five calendar projects going at the same time, especially if each of them are 12 month calendars loaded with high res photos.

quote:

Last year Jason C. gave me a list of about 10 steps to go in and clear temp files which takes a few minutes, as well as clearing recycle bin which takes another few minutes. Not to mention closing down PS and everything you were working on a few times a day.

It is good practice to save a project often, and after awhile, close the project, then reopen it. That should be enough to clear temp files. I think the problem is running five big projects at once. That would require a lot of RAM.

quote:

I'll try checking your blog, if I can find it.

You don't see the links I provided?

Post #: 10
RE: Photo Editing - 9/12/2019 10:00:08 AM   
efornwalt@aol.com

Hi Jason! I appreciated all the help you gave me last year with calendars. I see that number has been closed down. Is there another phone number? Thanks, Marge

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 11
RE: Photo Editing - 9/14/2019 3:07:55 PM   
efornwalt@aol.com

quote:

Hi Jason! I appreciated all the help you gave me last year with calendars. I see that number has been closed down. Is there another phone number? Thanks, Marge

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 4.0 >> Photo Editing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4