Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Trouble importing pics from another program

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Export/Import >> Trouble importing pics from another program Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trouble importing pics from another program - 3/7/2007 7:31:15 AM   
gchs31

Another question..When I installed PS 22 Deluxe-it converted my documents from Microsoft Picture it to PS documents, however I keep gettng an error messg. that they "failed to open". I don't understand what the problem is as I know the files I am trying to open are not corrupt or anything and PS software says it can open Picture it files. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Trouble importing pics from another program - 3/7/2007 4:27:05 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: gchs31
..When I installed PS 22 Deluxe-it converted my documents from Microsoft Picture it to PS documents, however I keep gettng an error messg. that they "failed to open"...

MS PictureIt saves its project files as PNG format. PrintShop can only open flattened PNG files, so it cannot really open the layered PNGs that PictureIt creates.

PS22 did not convert anything. It is common that the last program installed tries to be the default program to open files that it supports (or thinks it supports). You should tell your computer that in the future, all PNG files are to be opened with PictureIt and that should solve your problem.

Go into My Computer and find a PNG file. Right-click it. Open with... choose Picture It. Check the box to make it the default program that opens that file format.

If you wish to import an image that you created in PictureIt, you should export/save as TIF or JPG while in PictureIt. You will have no trouble importing TIF or JPG into PS22.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 3/7/2007 4:30:58 PM >

(in reply to gchs31)
Post #: 2
RE: Trouble importing pics from another program - 3/9/2007 2:27:29 PM   
gchs31

Another issue,...sorry...Why won't PS 22 open PDF files such as ones on Adobe? I thought PDF was pretty standard and the same in most programs. What I did was download a converter so I could open my picture it files and so on in PS 22..but they still won't open..even in PDF format?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: Trouble importing pics from another program - 3/9/2007 4:38:15 PM   
ellengard

You misunderstand. PDF is opened with Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat. Since everyone has or can get Adobe Reader, that makes PDF a standard transportable file. It can be viewed and printed, BUT NOT EDITED unless you have Adobe Acrobat or other Adobe programs.

The idea is to create your project in PS, then convert it to PDF. The PDF can be taken to a professional printer.

PDF cannot be opened in Broderbund programs nor in MicroSoft programs nor in most programs except Adobe programs.

(in reply to gchs31)
Post #: 4
RE: Trouble importing pics from another program - 3/10/2007 12:54:01 PM   
gchs31

Ok..Sorry for all the questions, I am just not that familiar with this program. I thought that PS could read and PDF and other file formats from thoer programs. So, I guess it will only read whats created on ps right?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 5
RE: Trouble importing pics from another program - 3/10/2007 6:34:58 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: gchs31
... I guess it will only read whats created on ps right?

No need to apologize for asking questions... what's a forum for?

Yes, basically, PS can read the files it creates, except for PDF. There are many PDF convertors on the market and there is one in PrintShop, too. But the purpose of PDFs is viewing and printing at OTHER LOCATIONS via Adobe Reader/Acrobat.

(in reply to gchs31)
Post #: 6
RE: Trouble importing pics from another program - 3/10/2007 6:47:45 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi gchs31,

As a general rule, most software programs will create project files that can be read ONLY by that same software program (or a newer version of that software program). There are a few exceptions to this rule, but not many.

One exception to that rule is that Print Shop can read project files created on PrintMaster or American Greetings Creatacard, which are also Broderbund products. And, project files created on PS can be read on PrintMaster and CreataCard.

The only computer files that can be read by any software program are graphic files - because any graphics-capable software program can read any standard graphic file (i.e. *.bmp, *.jpg, *.tif, *.png, etc.). So, anything you export from Print Shop to a graphic file format can be read by any graphics-capable software program.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 3/10/2007 6:48:00 PM >

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to gchs31)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Export/Import >> Trouble importing pics from another program Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4