Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

working with layers & removing backgrounds

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> working with layers & removing backgrounds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
working with layers & removing backgrounds - 11/25/2007 7:11:49 AM   
jackie323

I'm trying to add part of a photo to an existing project. I want to be able to erase part of the top layer(the photo) and see the bottom layer instead. I just get white where I've erased it when I use the advanced. When i crop it it still leaves the outline and It really is too time consuming to crop this photo anyway.
Please help.
Thanx,
Jackie

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 12/26/2007 7:27:59 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: working with layers - 11/25/2007 11:07:15 AM   
lindarobin

Please describe what kind of cropping you are attempting to do. For example, are you trying to remove the background and leave just the face in the photo? If so, the PhotoWorkShop is the tool you wish to use, not the Advanced PhotoEditor.

(in reply to jackie323)
Post #: 2
RE: working with layers - 11/25/2007 1:18:00 PM   
jackie323

That's exactly what I'm trying to do but I must not know how to remove it properly. I used the pencil and erased with the right mouse button. But it leaves the area I erased white not clear . And i'd rather be able to do it on the page with the background. Is that possible?

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 3
RE: working with layers - 11/25/2007 2:50:19 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackie323

...I used the pencil and erased with the right mouse button. But it leaves the area I erased white not clear . And i'd rather be able to do it on the page with the background.

There is no "pencil" nor "eraser" in the PhotoWorkShop. PhotoWorkShop looks like this:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jackie323)
Post #: 4
RE: working with layers - 11/25/2007 2:50:56 PM   
lindarobin

You use the freehand crop. When you are satisfied with the crop, click OK. Do not click Save As. Now you will see your cropped photo on your workspace on top of your background. In my example, I made the background black so that you can see that there is no white area.

(in reply to jackie323)
Post #: 5
RE: working with layers - 11/26/2007 5:32:51 AM   
jackie323

Ok thank you. That works that way. It just doesnt do it the way I wanted to. I take it there isn't a way to do it other than freehand crop. If you wanted the flowers alone it would be very difficult and time consuming. I feel better knowing I couldn't find it because it wasn't there. LOL
Thank you again,
Jackie

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 6
RE: working with layers - 11/26/2007 10:43:41 AM   
lindarobin

You probably need a more sophisticated stand-alone photo-editing program such as Adobe PhotoShop Elements, to remove backgrounds and leave them transparent. With "smart select" tools, they make easy work of cutting out irregular shapes.

The Advanced Photo Editor in PS is good for doing photo corrections.

(in reply to jackie323)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> working with layers & removing backgrounds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4