Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

White border beyond the dotted line

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM Printing Specific Issues >> White border beyond the dotted line Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
White border beyond the dotted line - 9/19/2012 3:22:17 PM   
jamescomm

I use Printmaster 15. I have about 500 graphic documents I have created (many with multiple pages), and all of them have a white border of approximately 5/8" all around beyond the dotted line.

I just installed an HP Officejet 8600 Plus and now the margins are all off on just about every project. The dotted line is now almost out to the border of the paper with only a slim 1/8" of white border showing.

On one of the letterheads with my business logo, I clicked on Advanced Settings and was able to bring everything back with the right margins. However, those measurements only worked with that document, all of the other projects are incorrect, so those settings didn't help everything else.

To make things worse, when I tried to print out a label with my logo, when I opened it up to print it, onthe screen the logo itself was stretched and distorted.

Does anyone have an answer to this problem as I am pretty frustrated?

Thank you.

Jim

James S. Jackson
Post #: 1
RE: White border beyond the dotted line - 9/19/2012 3:35:34 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi James,

The problem you are experiencing is being caused by the fact that the dotted line margins which are displayed on the workspace for Broderbund programs are determined by the unprintable margin settings for the printer which is selected to print the project. So, that would indicate that the unprintable margins for your HP Officejet 8600 Plus are different from the unprintable margin settings for the printer that was being used when the documents were originally created.

If you will click on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=24878&mpage=1&key=

you will see that all printers (even borderless printers) have built-in unprintable margin areas. The size of the margins in many Broderbund programs is determined by the current margin settings for the selected printer. For some (but not all) projects, equal margins will be set on all four sides of the paper, based on the largest unprintable margin area for the selected printer. Margins will be displayed on the workspace as dotted lines. And, any text and/or graphics which is placed between the dotted line and the edge of the paper will not print.

Sometimes (especially with borderless printers) it is possible to adjust the unprintable margin areas. But, in Broderbund programs, this can only be done by going into the selected printer's Properties then activating whatever margin options are available for reducing the size of the margins. Common margin options are 'Minimize Margins', 'Printable Area', 'Borderfree', 'Borderless', etc.

So, in order to fix your margin problem you will need to tweak the HP Officejet 8600 Plus printer settings.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 10/13/2012 12:38:15 AM >

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to jamescomm)
Post #: 2
RE: White border beyond the dotted line - 9/20/2012 10:09:37 AM   
lindarobin

You can "unstretch" your project by selecting all and grouping. Rescale the group.

These older versions of PrintMaster and Print Shop have this unique trait of stretching the project to the page's printable area, sort of like rescaling a PDF to fill any size paper (except that with the PDF, the aspect ratio is constrained). Since this trait can't be "turned off", all we can do is work around it whenever a new printer driver redefines the margins.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 10/1/2012 10:53:05 AM >
Post #: 3
RE: White border beyond the dotted line - 9/20/2012 10:41:19 AM   
lindarobin

I have a thought... we could set up a custom sized paper in the printer setup such that when you open your project, it will have the same dimensions that your old printer defined.

Doing the math is more complicated than rescaling a group by eyeballing it, but if you're up for it, we can determine the custom size.
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM Printing Specific Issues >> White border beyond the dotted line Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4