Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Mail Merge works on last years card but not this years

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Printing Specific Issues >> Mail Merge works on last years card but not this years Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mail Merge works on last years card but not this years - 11/25/2012 6:19:50 PM   
Eclecticats

I can retrieve my last years Christmas card which has mail merge on it and when I select mail merge when ready to print, it brings up the correct address file and the name appears on the card.

When I made up my new Christmas card this year, for some reason the mail merge won't work.
I create the blank text and then insert the field I want from my address as I did for last years card, but when I go to print and
select mail merge, it does not bring up the right file so no name appears on the card.

Why is this happening?

Why does one card work and the other not?

Both were made up using 23.1

Version 23.1.0.0000

It is driving me crazy
Post #: 1
RE: Mail Merge works on last years card but not this years - 11/25/2012 10:17:35 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eclecticats
I create the blank text and then insert the field I want from my address as I did for last years card, but when I go to print and
select mail merge, it does not bring up the right file so no name appears on the card.

After you click Merge Names... click Select List. Then choose the Address Book that you wish to use and then click Open. Now you can select the names from this Address Book.

Your previous card project was already associated with a particular Address Book. Your new project had not yet been "connected" to a particular Address Book. PS23.1 allows for multiple Address Books e.g. (a) friends & relatives (b) vendors (c) customers

< Message edited by ellengard -- 11/25/2012 10:22:20 PM >

(in reply to Eclecticats)
Post #: 2
RE: Mail Merge works on last years card but not this years - 11/26/2012 6:46:06 AM   
Eclecticats

Here is what happened. After I sent the question, I saved my card to a new name and it found the list. I then closed it and re-opened it and the list was no longer to be found. It was there and now it isn't. It is the craziest thing. How can it be there one minute and gone the next. What it shows in the list is only ther first and last name, which is wrong. It should show all data.

Problem is, it still always works with the card from last year. Even cards from previous years.

It seems that it is only having the problem from this years card, which does not make any sense.
It a file was corrupt, it would no longer work for the old card either.

I am thinking that I have to uninstall and reinstall the software.

Problem is, I have to find it. I just moved and have still not unpacked my boxes because work is being done
on all the rooms and I have no place to put my stuff.

If I find it, should I uninstall and re-install the software?
But then again, why is it working on all previous years, 2009, 2010, 2011?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: Mail Merge works on last years card but not this years - 11/26/2012 9:04:42 AM   
Eclecticats

New developments. It turns out that for some reason it will not recognize Secondary Address Line 1 and 2 which it always did before.

It recognizes Name, Phone, Address 1 and 2.

Because it does not recognize Secondary, it cannot pull up the address file I want.

Now I have to find out why it doesn't recognize this address line in my new card.

Any ideas???

< Message edited by Eclecticats -- 11/26/2012 9:05:26 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: Mail Merge works on last years card but not this years - 11/26/2012 10:13:21 AM   
ellengard

quote:

... it still always works with the card from last year. Even cards from previous years.

Try this. Open an old card that works. Save As a new name. Verify the mail merge works for the newly named card. Delete everything EXCEPT the text box with the mail merge fields. Copy/paste the new card design (sans mail merge text box) into this template.

See if this "old card with new name" works. If it does, then someting is wrong when you make a brand new card. You can email it to me so I try to find the problem.

Post #: 5
RE: Mail Merge works on last years card but not this years - 11/26/2012 10:26:47 AM   
Eclecticats

I checked all the fields to see which ones worked. I found out that Organization works, so I will use that one.

The only reason I was using Secondary Address Line 1 and 2 is that it allowed me to place the names in 2 separate lines
when there were too many names. If used only one line, it stretched to far across the card and all the names did not fit, especially on a card in done in portrait. This new card is landscape so I can fit the names in one line. This will have to due until I can find out
why Secondary worked on old but not new card.

I did save a copy of the old one and it still recognized the Secondary.

I was going to use this copy and just put all my new 2012 pictures on this card, the problem was that this is portrait and the
new is landscape and there is no way to change the card from protrait to landscape once it's made.

And I need landscape this time because of the picture I am using in the front.

But, then again, I might change my mind and use the portrait one.

I don't know right now, just tired of doing this.

It just gets so frustrating when this happens.

Thanks for all your help.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 6
RE: Mail Merge works on last years card but not this years - 11/26/2012 3:46:22 PM   
ellengard

quote:

I was going to use this copy and just put all my new 2012 pictures on this card, the problem was that this is portrait and the
new is landscape

Your program is not working correctly which makes it a tech problem. A clean reinstall could be the solution, but since the disks aren't readily available, here is a workaround solution.

Use your old card project as a template. Do your new design on the workspace as if it were landscape. Then select all, group and rotate the group 90 degrees.

Post #: 7
RE: Mail Merge works on last years card but not this years - 11/26/2012 5:12:50 PM   
Eclecticats

Thank you for reminding me. I did the rotating of my pictures and text once before to change it
from portrait to landscape.

Thank you again, I will try that tomorrow.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Printing Specific Issues >> Mail Merge works on last years card but not this years Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4