Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Third-party programs to open .pdg file

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Third-party programs to open .pdg file Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Third-party programs to open .pdg file - 4/30/2013 8:01:09 PM   
Anne_Arbor

I have 200 or more .pdg (greeting card) files created in an earlier version of PrintMaster or Print Shop. I'm now using Print Shop 23. Print Shop 23 will not open the older files. Researching this online, I see that there are several sites that offer programs for download that will 'open' .pdg files, which they correctly identify as having been created by older Broderbund programs.

My question is -- does anyone know if these programs are safe? and would they be useful for someone in my circumstances?

I spent hours and hours putting together my old files and I'd love to have access to them again. Is one of these programs the answer?

Thank you for any help you can give.
Post #: 1
RE: Third-party programs to open .pdg file - 4/30/2013 8:27:41 PM   
JasonC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anne_Arbor

I have 200 or more .pdg (greeting card) files created in an earlier version of PrintMaster or Print Shop. I'm now using Print Shop 23. Print Shop 23 will not open the older files. Researching this online, I see that there are several sites that offer programs for download that will 'open' .pdg files, which they correctly identify as having been created by older Broderbund programs.

My question is -- does anyone know if these programs are safe? and would they be useful for someone in my circumstances?

I spent hours and hours putting together my old files and I'd love to have access to them again. Is one of these programs the answer?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Both Lindarobin and ellengard have noted that its useful to keep the old programs around just in case. As far as the third party programs you are speaking of, Encore does not support any product that is "third party" that opens files a Broderbund created nor can we give advice on them. You will have to do some research online to see if a product is right for you or not and as a rule of thumb , backup your files before trying anything.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to Anne_Arbor)
Post #: 2
RE: Third-party programs to open .pdg file - 4/30/2013 8:42:12 PM   
Anne_Arbor

Hi TMLFAN4LIFE,

Thank you for your reply. Obviously I would use the old program if I could. I bought it years ago and have no idea where it went.

I didn't think that the company would recommend any third party software, but I'm hoping that someone might have tried it and found it useful. Perhaps someone will still reply to that effect.

All that work -- I just hate to think of it as lost!

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 3
RE: Third-party programs to open .pdg file - 4/30/2013 9:11:57 PM   
ellengard

Hi Anne,

I've used PrintMaster and PrintShop for over a decade, but don't recognize the pdg extension. Might that be even before Win95? Back then, the programs didn't have the capability to export to JPG or PDF so we couldn't make a "backup" file that could open and print in other programs.

If you are confident you can guard against malware, viruses and such, and you really want to open those old files, then I guess your only choice is to download that third party software.

I have no knowledge about its effectiveness. I am skeptical that even if the file can be opened, that formatting and fonts are retained. Possibly you will see images, but it may not print as a greeting card.

(in reply to Anne_Arbor)
Post #: 4
RE: Third-party programs to open .pdg file - 4/30/2013 9:49:14 PM   
Anne_Arbor

Hi Ellen,

Thank you for answering my post. :-) Yes, I'm hesitant to try one of those programs because of the associated risks. That's why I was hoping that perhaps someone here had some experience with them.

I'm pretty sure my old program was post-Windows 95. And even if the fonts are gone, along with formatting, that wouldn't be so important. It's the images I need!

Brandy_Redux, in a very informative post here, wrote that PS 20 could open old .pdg files. http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=45528&mpage=1&key=pdg뇙

So I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile for me to buy a PS 20 program? Do you have any thoughts as to that approach?

< Message edited by Anne_Arbor -- 4/30/2013 9:50:54 PM >

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 5
RE: Third-party programs to open .pdg file - 4/30/2013 11:03:03 PM   
JasonC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anne_Arbor

Hi TMLFAN4LIFE,

Thank you for your reply. Obviously I would use the old program if I could. I bought it years ago and have no idea where it went.

I didn't think that the company would recommend any third party software, but I'm hoping that someone might have tried it and found it useful. Perhaps someone will still reply to that effect.

All that work -- I just hate to think of it as lost!

Yes I know the feeling all too well in a similar situation with word files. The program you purchase may or may not work on your current OS. Right now up to Windows 8 Encore supports PM 2012 and Print Shop 3.0 on Windows 8 and Windows 7.

Older programs will have a hard time. If you feel confident about an older program, depending on what OS you are loading check out Microsofts Support Site to see how to run a program in compatibility mode.

I've had a 50/50 chance of luck when it comes to running older programs.

< Message edited by TMLFAN4LIFE -- 4/30/2013 11:04:05 PM >

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to Anne_Arbor)
Post #: 6
RE: Third-party programs to open .pdg file - 4/30/2013 11:37:27 PM   
Salome

quote:

So I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile for me to buy a PS 20 program? Do you have any thoughts as to that approach?

According to this thread

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=37937

Print Shop 20 can be successfully installed on even a 64-bit version of Windows 7.

And, fortunately, Print Shop 20 can be purchased here

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=Print%20Shop%2020

After opening the PDG files in Print Shop 20, you can then save the files in Print Shop 20 format, then open those Print Shop 20 files in Print Shop 23.

(in reply to Anne_Arbor)
Post #: 7
RE: Third-party programs to open .pdg file - 5/1/2013 12:45:38 PM   
Anne_Arbor

Hello Salome and TMLFAN4LIFE,

Thank you both for your replies. I also contacted Brandy_Redux off-board. The result is that I've just ordered Print Shop 21 from Amazon.com. Once it arrives, I'll install it and see if I can get at those old files. If that works, I'll do exactly as Salome suggests -- convert them using PS 21 and then save them using PS 23.

Thanks again for your help. :-)

(in reply to Salome)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Third-party programs to open .pdg file Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4