Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

PrintMaster 18 Platinum

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM Printing Specific Issues >> PrintMaster 18 Platinum Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/1/2013 4:25:05 PM   
TLMimi

I am using PrintMaster 18 Platinum with Windows Home Vista and an HP CP2025 laserjet printer. Whenever I create a project wth graphics, the job spools to the printer but is extremely large. The printer takes forever to print the project if it prints it at all. I have communicated about this issue with HP technicians many times. We've changed the print driver from PS to PCL and back, but the problem still remains. I created a newsletter that was 2 pages back and front. The printer took between 10 to 15 minutes before the 1st page came out and then another 10 minutes before the second page printed. I wanted 50 copies of this but I couldn't print it on the CP2025. HP insists that it's a problem with the software and that the printer is printing as it should. I am at a loss. After creating projects I want it to look good on paper, that's why I would like to use the laser printer. I have not tried using other desktop publishing software because I really like PrintMaster. Is there any advice that can be given for my situation.
Post #: 1
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/1/2013 4:48:19 PM   
ellengard

Does your newsletter have a lot of high-res photos?

Some suggestions here:
http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=24586

If you still have long spooling times, I have a workaround that's guaranteed to work, but there's more prep time involved.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 7/1/2013 5:13:09 PM >

(in reply to TLMimi)
Post #: 2
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/2/2013 2:17:36 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: TLMimi
... Whenever I create a project wth graphics, the job spools to the printer but is extremely large. The printer takes forever to print the project if it prints it at all.

The more graphics you have (especially if they are several MB in size) and the more effects you apply to these graphics (cropping, shadows, etc.), will increase the workload on your printer driver.

You can drastically reduce this workload without compromising print quality, by replacing all the graphics with just one flat JPG.

Create a copy of your project. Select all the graphics as one group and export as JPG, actual print size, 300 dpi. Delete the group, import the JPG, arrange to the back.

Now with only one graphic, your printer should spool quickly.

(in reply to TLMimi)
Post #: 3
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/2/2013 4:34:19 PM   
TLMimi

Thanks for replying. I hve tried all of the methods suggested. The document was Grouped to print originally. I tried Bitmap and had the same problem. Printing Directly to the printer - the document will not print at all. Converting to .pdf is more trouble than it's worth. Formatting is all over the place. I tried your workaround and exported the document as .jpg. It was smaller, 16.9mb vs 23.8mb bitmap. Is my file just too big? Thanks.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 4
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/2/2013 5:43:44 PM   
ellengard

It's not just file size that affects spooling time, it's the complexity of the project. One simple JPG vs several JPGs of different resolutions and effects applied.

Do not export the entire document to JPG. Text converted to JPG prints jaggy and also increases file size unnecessarily.

(in reply to TLMimi)
Post #: 5
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/3/2013 8:41:23 AM   
ellengard

quote:

... HP insists that it's a problem with the software and that the printer is printing as it should... I have not tried using other desktop publishing software because I really like PrintMaster.

As a test, open up another desktop publishing program and print some of the same images from it. Don't worry about the design. You just want to see if printing the graphics is a lot faster when it's not PrintMaster.

If it does print a lot faster, then most likely there is some incompatibility with PrintMaster and your HP printer. It is a known issue with some HP printers.

Your solution would be to re-create your newsletter in another desktop publishing program. Save time by importing the JPGs you created with PrintMaster, since sizing and positioning of multiple graphics are already done. Add new text boxes. Copy and paste the text from PrintMaster into these new text boxes.

(in reply to TLMimi)
Post #: 6
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/4/2013 3:36:12 PM   
ellengard

From your email, after I sent you a PDF file to print:
quote:

I printed the document out of adobe reader and the 1st page(duplex) started at 5:48 and printed at 5:51 2nd duplex page printed at 5:59.

So start to finish (including spooling) was 11 minutes for the PDF. It took 20 minutes when you printed the PrintMaster file. That's a big improvement.

If your laserjet keeps print jobs in memory, you need only ask for 49 reprints. Spooling is already done. In this case, even though it took 20 minutes the first time, that's irrelevant if you can choose a print job from memory and ask for 49 reprints.

(in reply to TLMimi)
Post #: 7
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/4/2013 3:56:18 PM   
TLMimi

I will check to see if the HP CP2025 does that, because that would be a tremendous help. Can you print multiple copies of a newsletter out of Printmaster?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 8
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/4/2013 4:42:20 PM   
TLMimi

I forgot to ask, what did you have to do to the document to save it in .pdf? I usually have to reformat the entire document.

(in reply to TLMimi)
Post #: 9
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/4/2013 4:48:07 PM   
ellengard

Yes, you can print multiple copies. I think up to 99 at one time.

(in reply to TLMimi)
Post #: 10
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/4/2013 4:59:11 PM   
ellengard

quote:

... what did you have to do to the document to save it in .pdf? I usually have to reformat the entire document.

Character and line spacing are determined by the printer drivers. You and I have different drivers on our respective computers, so when I opened up your file, everything was shifted off center and there was text overflow in some of the text boxes.

I had to reformat all four pages anyways.

(in reply to TLMimi)
Post #: 11
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/4/2013 5:29:35 PM   
TLMimi

That happens every time I save a document to .pdf, I end up reformatting the entire document. I have to keep going back and forth to Printmaster because I can't edit in adobe .pdf...

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 12
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/4/2013 5:38:25 PM   
ellengard

If you know ahead of time that you will want a PDF, set the default printer to PDF before you start designing your project. Remember to reset the printer to PDF when you reopen your project for editing.

(in reply to TLMimi)
Post #: 13
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/4/2013 5:43:33 PM   
TLMimi

Is this done through PrintMaster? If not, I don't know how to do that.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 14
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/4/2013 6:47:19 PM   
ellengard

Choose whichever PDF converter you will use, as the printer.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ellengard -- 7/4/2013 6:49:36 PM >

(in reply to TLMimi)
Post #: 15
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/6/2013 6:44:31 AM   
TLMimi

OK, I've set up Printmaster to use Broderbund PDF Converter. I did get an error 30 - printer not available...I think. Anyway, I changed the settings to agree with the Universal PCL6 settings for my CP2025 printer. I edited a Printmaster document by changing the pictures and printed it. It seemed to print fast. Now, the test will come next week. I will need to do a program for my Church. I'll probably create it on the half card format. I'll use Broderbund PDF Converter and I'll need multiple copies. Prior to my sessions with you :) I could not print more than one copy at a time. I want to print from memory like you suggested. I have the printer set to hold the document, but I'm going to have to find a way to tell the printer to print from memory. I can't thank you enough for the valuable assistance you have provided.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 16
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/6/2013 12:47:03 PM   
ellengard

quote:

OK, I've set up Printmaster to use Broderbund PDF Converter. I did get an error 30 - printer not available...

If it gives you trouble, use cutePDF instead. It's a better PDF writer and it is a free download:
http://cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

quote:

Prior to my sessions with you :) I could not print more than one copy at a time. I want to print from memory like you suggested. I have the printer set to hold the document, but I'm going to have to find a way to tell the printer to print from memory.

I googled your laserjet model to see its specs. It doesn't have a hard drive so it doesn't store its print jobs.

quote:

I can't thank you enough for the valuable assistance you have provided.

You're very welcome.

(in reply to TLMimi)
Post #: 17
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/6/2013 2:06:05 PM   
ellengard

If your PrintMaster project has fewer than 6 graphics, you probably don't need to make a PDF. Replacing a group of graphics with a single JPG will help your printer process your project a lot faster.

For example, this JPG was originally 16 separate graphics that were resized, arranged on different layers, rotated, cropped, shadows added... a lot of work for your printer driver! One JPG makes it so much easier for your printer.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ellengard -- 7/6/2013 2:08:05 PM >

(in reply to TLMimi)
Post #: 18
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/10/2013 6:36:04 PM   
TLMimi

OK, I've created a project in Printmaster newsletter format, 2 pages back and front. I saved it in Broderbund .pdf. Everything came out perfect. The job totaled 5.53mb, I had a lot of graphics. After creatng the project I grouped it and saved it. Only problem I had was when I printed the project. I could only print 1 copy at a time, no matter how many copies that I set to print. I tried to print 4 copies and it spooled 51mb but only printed 1 copy. No problem, I kept clicking on the print icon until I printed 100 copies. :) Again, I can't thank you enough for your invaluable assistance. I would not have made it through this project without you. :)

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 19
RE: PrintMaster 18 Platinum - 7/10/2013 7:14:02 PM   
ellengard

quote:

... I saved it in Broderbund .pdf. Everything came out perfect. The job totaled 5.53mb

Big improvement. That's a lot smaller than your 23.8 MB project.

quote:

After creatng the project I grouped it and saved it. Only problem I had was when I printed the project. I could only print 1 copy at a time, no matter how many copies that I set to print.

The NWS file or the PDF? If the NWS file only prints one at a time, print the PDF version instead. Adobe Reader shouldn't have any problems doing multi-prints.

(in reply to TLMimi)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM Printing Specific Issues >> PrintMaster 18 Platinum Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4