Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Printing an Envelop

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Printing an Envelop Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Printing an Envelop - 12/24/2013 7:16:08 PM   
rhartsook

When I composed an envelope and tried printing, my printer which is an HP Photosmart C5180 All-in-One didn't recognize the envelope. When I went into the printer to set
it to an A-10 envelop, there appeared a message from Printshop stating that it wasn't necessary to set the printer but to use the settings in Printshop but if I do that then the
the printer spits it out as the improper size paper and I go around in circles. I finally exported the envelop image and saved it as a JPG.. I then opened Word for Windows,
opened an envelop and inserted the JPG file from Printshop and then I was able to print it out then. That's all fine and well but I would like to print it from the Printshop.
Is there any method of correcting this problem. If needed I can copy and past the error message into another message. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

RHartsook
Post #: 1
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/24/2013 9:43:59 PM   
ellengard

This pinned thread explains how Print Shop handles envelopes (i.e. paper size set to letter) and the workaround for paper size sensor. Hope it will work for HP printer.
http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=24684

(in reply to rhartsook)
Post #: 2
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/25/2013 8:40:46 AM   
rhartsook

Thanks ellengard, I will be attempting to follow the page you listed as I have printed it out so that I can digest better the directions set forth. I hope that somehow or the
other that I can get The Print Shop 23 to print an envelope to my HP Photosmart C5180 All-in-One successfully. Thanks once again, have a very Merry Christmas and a
very happy New Year's Day celebration.

RHartsook

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/25/2013 10:45:21 AM   
ellengard

Thanks, rhartsook, and the best of the season to you.

If the HP all-in-one can't be convinced to take an envelope when the paper setting is letter, I'm sure I can come up with another workaround.

(in reply to rhartsook)
Post #: 4
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/25/2013 11:10:37 AM   
ellengard

Here is a method that worked on my computer/printer setup:

Open a new Blank Pages, wide project.
File| Printing| Print Setup.
In the Print Setup dialog box, choose your envelope.
Now your project appears in the size of your chosen envelope.
Add text/graphics and print!

(in reply to rhartsook)
Post #: 5
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/25/2013 1:07:19 PM   
rhartsook

Well ellengard, I did as you suggested and sure enough I was able to print the envelope but then the images I had were placed in as borders 1/2" from left and right, top
an bottom. I would have liked to print the images and address on the full face of the envelope.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 6
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/25/2013 7:46:26 PM   
ellengard

You can go into your printer settings and minimize your margins.

(in reply to rhartsook)
Post #: 7
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/26/2013 6:05:08 AM   
rhartsook

I'm sorry ellengard because as I included that one pic, that when I set the printer then Print Shop won't print because it says there is no need to set the printer that it is
all done within Print Shop itself and therefore, I have that continuing problem. I have come to the conclusion that the only way to print with success is to save the Print Shop
object as a JPG and then open it in Word for Windows and then I can set the printer and it works from there but not from Print Shop.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 8
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/26/2013 8:42:30 AM   
ellengard

I didn't have that problem because I printed a blank page project, not an envelope project.

(in reply to rhartsook)
Post #: 9
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/26/2013 12:44:30 PM   
rhartsook

Then if I understand you correctly, when I was referring to printing an envelop with art, you were speaking of something else and so I'm still wondering why I can't print an
envelop from Print Shop. Is that correct?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 10
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/26/2013 12:59:52 PM   
ellengard

I assumed when you said that you did as I suggested, we were both talking about my post #5.
So if you did not open a new blank page project, then we are not talking about the same thing.

From your description, your HP printer cannot understand Print Shop's envelope project. That is why I suggested a workaround to trick your printer and the program by printing a blank page project that by sheer coincidence , happens to be the size of an envelope.

(in reply to rhartsook)
Post #: 11
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/26/2013 2:29:05 PM   
Tara

quote:

I'm still wondering why I can't print an envelop from Print Shop.

As is noted in the pinned thread that ellengard recommended, when envelopes are printed in Print Shop, Print Shop expects the paper size to be set to either letter or A4. So, it is not possible to print an envelope by selecting an envelope size in printer properties.

And, since you received an improper size paper error message, that indicates that your printer has a paper sensor. And, as is also noted in the pinned thread that ellengard recommended, for printers that have an automatic Paper Sensor, the only way to print Envelope projects from many Broderbund programs would be to turn OFF or temporarily disable the Paper Sensor.

So, if you are not able to turn off the Paper Sensor, your only option would be to do as ellengard recommended, print a blank page project, not an envelope project.

In Post #6, when you asked about printing on the full face of the envelope, ellengard recommended that you go into your printer settings and minimize your margins because Print Shop 23 is designed to display dotted lines around the edges of any projects, to display the inner edge of the unprintable margin area for the selected printer.

So, if you want to print borderless, you must activate the borderless option in printer settings. And, if your printer does not offer a borderless option, you will not be able to print on the full face of the envelope.

(in reply to rhartsook)
Post #: 12
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/26/2013 2:58:33 PM   
Tara

2 additional thoughts:

1. When you print a blank page project, you should not change the printer settings to any envelope size. Instead, you should just change the paper size to match the blank project.

2. You should activate the borderless option before designing the blank page project, so that you can see the exact result of activating the borderless option. To activate the borderless option, select File in the Print Shop menubar, then select Printing then Print Setup.

(in reply to Tara)
Post #: 13
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/26/2013 5:56:03 PM   
rhartsook

Okay, that's about all that can be done. Thanks for all the advice.

(in reply to Tara)
Post #: 14
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/26/2013 10:44:58 PM   
ellengard

Here is my Print Preview of my Blank Page (Poster) project where I selected envelope #10 as my paper size.

The Envelope project works for most printers, just not certain HP printers. NO PROBLEM, just design your envelope in a Blank Page project instead of an Envelope project.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rhartsook)
Post #: 15
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/26/2013 11:43:32 PM   
Tara

quote:

Here is my Print Preview of my Blank Page (Poster) project where I selected envelope #10 as my paper size.

The reason why I made the earlier recommendation to not change the printer settings to an envelope size was because none of my printers (which are not HP printers) will allow me to print borderless when an envelope Paper Size is selected.

And, for those users who are not aware of this fact, for many printers, the borderless option cannot be selected until the Paper Type is changed from Plain Paper to something other than Plain Paper.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 16
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/27/2013 1:33:31 AM   
Tara

quote:

The Envelope project works for most printers, just not certain HP printers.

As I mentioned earlier, the Envelope project will not work with any printer (even non-HP printers) if the printer has an automatic paper sensor which cannot be either turned OFF or temporarily disabled.

(in reply to Tara)
Post #: 17
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/27/2013 12:04:33 PM   
rhartsook

After trying your suggestion to use a blank page and sizing it to #10 Envelope, I wound up with the border limiting me to printing area. I tried to use a Borderless setting
and that gave me a picture of what I wanted but when I tried to print it, the print was cockeyed and was of no use. It is simply a matter that my HP printer simply will not
allow me to compose such an item and attempt to print it and so I have come to the conclusion that simply exporting the envelope composition as a JPG, I can then open
an envelope in Word for Windows and inserting the picture and then I can print it very accurately from MS Word For Windows. I can compose most anything in Print Shop
and print it out easily from the program but as for envelopes, it is better to simply do as I said above. End of subject. There is nothing else that you can suggest that
would solve the problem but thanks for all of your advice. I've already wasted several envelopes in attempting to print from Print Shop.

No need to make any other suggestions unless you wanted to speak with me on the phone and then I don't even think that would help.

RHartsook

(in reply to Tara)
Post #: 18
RE: Printing an Envelop - 12/27/2013 6:36:00 PM   
ellengard

I'm glad you have your workaround. The envelope project comes up a lot in older threads, especially when printers started having a paper size sensor.

(in reply to rhartsook)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Printing an Envelop Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4