Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Alarm Schedule

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [Calendar Creator] >> CC General Functionality >> Alarm Schedule Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Alarm Schedule - 11/19/2016 10:46:55 AM   
earlp

Can I set the alarm to activate upon booting rather than a specific time?
Post #: 1
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/19/2016 4:23:26 PM   
DEJenc3

I can't see any scenario where this could be done. If you can add Calendar Creator to your Windows Start programs, it would somehow have to act retroactively, and it's not capable of that as far as I know (e.g., alerting you of an expired alarm when starting). The closest use might be to set an alarm for a time when you are certain that the computer and Calendar Creator will be running, but I don't see much point to that.

I have not used Calendar Creator alarms myself, because of the necessity of having Calendar Creator running for the alarms to sound. I open and close Calendar Creator only as needed. When I need an alarm at a specific time, I use the Windows Alarms app (in Windows 8.1). For specific reminders, I use an online calendar (Yahoo in my case).

David

(in reply to earlp)
Post #: 2
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/20/2016 7:24:05 PM   
earlp

I have the alarm enabled. I have Do Not Use Time checked. I have an entry in the Alarm Launch and the
Alarm Message boxes. Where should the message appear? The program in the Launch box did not execute
today.

(in reply to earlp)
Post #: 3
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/20/2016 7:57:47 PM   
DEJenc3

I've attached screenshots for an alarm that worked for me in Calendar Creator 12.1, running in Windows 8.1.

You need to choose a sound file for an audible alarm, and you can put text in the field for the visual alarm.

With Calendar Creator running, the alarm displayed and sounded at one minute after the event (before also works) of the event time setting, whether CC has the focus or working in another program. The visual window remains on the screen until OK is clicked.

Attachment (2)

David

(in reply to earlp)
Post #: 4
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/20/2016 8:24:29 PM   
DEJenc3

quote:

I have the alarm enabled. I have Do Not Use Time checked. I have an entry in the Alarm Launch and the
Alarm Message boxes.

If you have the Do Not Use Time option set for the Event, it's probably not possible for the alarm to be activated.

Please state what you entered in the Alarm Launch so it's possible to try to reproduce the problem.

David

(in reply to earlp)
Post #: 5
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/21/2016 6:45:23 PM   
earlp

The Alarm Launch is to a file on my local machine. You indicate earlier that
with Calendar Creator running... I guess that means I should put CC in my
Start Folder??

(in reply to earlp)
Post #: 6
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/21/2016 8:50:54 PM   
DEJenc3

quote:

that means I should put CC in my Start Folder??

That's just my guess. It's been possible in the past, but I don't know if there are differences or complications with newer operating systems. There was an earlier discussion (predating Vista) in this thread:
http://forums.encoreusa.com/fb.asp?m=30924

I'm not sure if CC would open with the correct calendar loaded (you can set "open the last calendar used" in CC preferences), but it probably will.

If you do experiment, please report back, noting the OS used.

David

(in reply to earlp)
Post #: 7
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/22/2016 3:21:48 PM   
earlp

For tomorrow (11/23) I have a Test. I have unchecked "Do not use time".
I set the start and end time to 12:00 noon.
I have the Alarm enabled for 1 minute after event.
I have CC in my start folder. Should I use Task Scheduler???

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 8
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/22/2016 3:48:15 PM   
DEJenc3

quote:

Should I use Task Scheduler?

I don't think you'd need Task Scheduler, since CC should start when Windows starts. That's the first thing you'll want to check once the computer has finished booting. CC should take care of sounding the alarm.

David

(in reply to earlp)
Post #: 9
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/22/2016 7:29:54 PM   
earlp

OK, if CC is in the start folder and the alarm is set for 12:00 noon + 1 minute. I boot the machine
at 9:30 a.m., will CC kick in then or 12:00?

(in reply to earlp)
Post #: 10
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/22/2016 8:42:06 PM   
DEJenc3

In that scenario, you should see Calendar Creator open on the screen at 9:30am (or more likely 9:33am or so). As long as you don't close CC, you should hear and/or see the alarm at 12:01pm.

The alarm you set has nothing to do with starting CC, which must already be running before any alarm can activate. While you should be able to have the alarm launch another program, it can't launch itself (CC).

David

(in reply to earlp)
Post #: 11
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/23/2016 9:25:45 AM   
earlp

I booted my machine at 9:10 a.m. CC did not open, at least not visibly. In the startup folder
is a shortcut to CC. I assume this shortcut should work. Let's see what happens at 12:01.

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 12
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/23/2016 10:01:14 AM   
DEJenc3

If you don't see CC on the screen, it's probably not running. Open the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and see if Calendar Creator is one of the programs/apps running. If not, I can assume nothing will happen at 12:01pm.

You might post the path and shortcut name of what you entered in Startup.

I may not see this forum again until after your alarm is expected, but this may be out of an area where I can make useful suggestions.

David

(in reply to earlp)
Post #: 13
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/23/2016 1:25:40 PM   
earlp

I added CC to Task Scheduler, set it to run when the system is started. Rebooted, it did not run.
In my Startup Folder it only shows Creator.exe, which I drug/dropped from Program Files (X86)
folder.

It did not run at 12:01. I thought it would appear in Startup in msconfig, but it does not.

I'm running Windows 10 64 bit. The Windows Alarm app you referred to, would that be the same
calendar available in Windows Live Mail?

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 14
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/23/2016 2:04:50 PM   
DEJenc3

When you drag Creator.exe:
Right-click it and when dragging to the Startup folder, choose "Create Shortcut here" or something similar (I don't know Windows 10).

But, before you do that, be sure you can run CC in the normal way: we want to be sure you did not actually move the .exe file out of the Programs folder to the Startup folder.

Once you have the shortcut in the Startup folder, double-click it to be sure it launches CC.

Then, reboot and see what happens.

David

(in reply to earlp)
Post #: 15
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/23/2016 3:53:13 PM   
earlp

I drug creator.exe to the Startup Folder, copied it rather than made a shortcut. CC runs as
expected from the desktop but trying to run it from the Startup Folder I get error
The program can't start because designcenter.dll is missing from your computer.

I rebooted, nothing happened

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 16
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/23/2016 5:05:19 PM   
DEJenc3

No, Creator.exe cannot run from the Startup folder, it must run from its Program folder, and that's the reason for the shortcut in the Startup folder.

If Windows 10 is like Windows 8.1, is the Startup folder should be something like this:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

When you create the shortcut to Creator.exe, the filename should appear like this:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Creator.exe.lnk

When you look at the properties of the Creator.exe.lnk file, it should have a Target like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Calendar Creator\Creator.exe"

David

(in reply to earlp)
Post #: 17
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/23/2016 6:37:57 PM   
earlp

Ok, I deleted the copy and drug it there as a shortcut.
C:\Users\Earl\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
is where that shortcut resides.
It starts in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Calendar Creator"

< Message edited by earlp -- 11/23/2016 6:39:36 PM >

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 18
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/23/2016 7:22:29 PM   
DEJenc3

This looks right. Try rebooting.

David

(in reply to earlp)
Post #: 19
RE: Alarm Schedule - 11/24/2016 7:53:15 PM   
earlp

I rebooted and also reset it for the 24th (today). It did not run and neither did the local
program I scheduled to launch.

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [Calendar Creator] >> CC General Functionality >> Alarm Schedule Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4