Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Having lots of problems

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> Calendar Creator (2016 Release) >> Having lots of problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Having lots of problems - 12/18/2016 4:25:51 PM   
printwork7

I have had three other versions of Calendar Creator through the years, and each had limitations that were sometimes frustrating. So I was so excited to see the advertisement with all the NEW! and Enhanced! options. I thought surely all the little quirks that previously had bothered me were finally taken care of. BUT, this latest version is pitiful in its limitations.

Here are my problems:

1. I want a monthly calendar for the next five years, don't see how I can get anything but 12 months to automatically create, and then I have to make time consuming additions month by month after that.

2. I just want the calendar part, and not the photo or art at the top, I only seem to be able to get that by deleting pages, or using the scratch option, which is VERY time consuming to create.

3. I want the ability to repeat events and tasks year after year, and extend the calendar another year after the first is completed, so I always have a five year work calendar. While I see how to do this for the months I have set up in the calendar, it will not allow me to say repeat yearly 20 times, so as I add another year the events will show up in the new sixth year. When I add the next year, none of my events show up. it has changed the event setting to 5 times, and I have to go through all my events and edit them to get them to add the next year.

4. I want an event to repeat the 1st monday on the month. Don't see anyway to make that happen with your repeat function.

I have some other issues, but these are the main ones that need to be addressed before I decide to keep or return the software. Thanks for any help anyone can give me!
Post #: 1
RE: Having lots of problems - 12/19/2016 12:00:46 AM   
ellengard

As a user of the old CC program myself, I understand you want these particular functions:
  1. basic monthly perpetual calendar with no pictures
  2. event repeat function that can be set for a specified number of years
  3. event repeat function that can be set for the first Monday of every month

These are important functions to me as well, and the old program performed them easily. However, the new program is not built upon the old. Version 2016 was developed separately and it is powered by StoryRock. Version 2016 is a calendar program with many calendar features, but it bears little resemblance to version 12.1.

I have used other StoryRock programs, and they are good for crafting, i.e. very photo and graphics oriented for print projects. (cards, scrapbook pages, labels, etc.) I think CC 2016 may also be more of a craft-oriented program.

I hope someone who is using CC 2016 and reading this, will say whether or not it can do the 3 things I listed above.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 12/19/2016 12:09:00 AM >

(in reply to printwork7)
Post #: 2
RE: Having lots of problems - 12/20/2016 3:53:05 PM   
JasonC

This would be the Functions button on Calendar Creator. The function button will allow you to specify the behavior on how the events get listed onto the Calendar.
I'm still trying to understand these things myself but thought I would mention that button.

Attachment (1)

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: Having lots of problems - 12/20/2016 10:09:09 PM   
DEJenc3

The "Functions" Jason has shown are very much like those in Calendar Creator 12. They provide useful information to display for an event. For example, the birthday function will display the number of the birthday (e.g., "Sam's 8th birthday"). However, they do not affect the event's repeat behavior, which must be set separately with the Repeat function. The repeat options in the new Calendar Creator are basic ones, and you will not be able to match the more complex repeat options of version 12. Simple repeats like birthdays that occur once a year should work, but you will not be able to manage more complex occurrences like printwork7's "1st Monday of the month" example.

The new program's emphasis is on graphics, as ellengard indicated, with the goal of creating nicely designed calendars for printing, display, and gifts. For comparison with CC12, you could consider the new one as a graphics program with calendar functions, where Calendar Creator 12 is more of a calendar program with graphics elements.

I'll try to respond to the questions raised in this thread with comments from my very limited use of the new Calendar Creator version.

printwork7's questions:

1. I want a monthly calendar for the next five years.....: I also observe what you do, that you're pretty much confined to 12 months and then start over.

2. I just want the calendar part, and not the photo or art at the top.....: My observation as well, but keep reading.

3. I want the ability to repeat events and tasks...: See my responses below.

4. I want an event to repeat the 1st monday on the month: Not possible. See my responses below.

ellengard's questions:

1. basic monthly perpetual calendar with no pictures: Probably yes to no pictures, which should be possible by using Create from Scratch. You would have to add every wanted element yourself, as there doesn't appear to be a canned minimalist calendar option. Perpetual: Not practical, since you'd have to add elements yourself in perpetuity (more comments below).

2. event repeat function that can be set for a specified number of years: Yes, that should be possible. Repeats can end at a specific date or a number of occurrences.

3. event repeat function that can be set for the first Monday of every month: Not possible.

You could consider that CC 2016 is a perpetual calendar in a limited sense, in that you can create elements and events with dates in the future or past. However, there does not appear to be the important element of a typical perpetual calendar in which you can advance forward or back in time in the way you'd expect to use a calendar in a computer program.

These are cursory observations. Other users, please contradict or correct them.

David

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 4
RE: Having lots of problems - 12/21/2016 9:54:06 AM   
JasonC

Thanks David I wanted to make sure I was not going crazy. It is a very popular question that I get asked over and over. While the functions I've shown on my screenshot seem to give some kind of hope, you've pretty much confirmed what I've noticed and probed the help files for over and over

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 5
RE: Having lots of problems - 12/21/2016 10:43:07 PM   
DEJenc3

Glad it helps, Jason. The Help files should evolve in time. Since they're external to the program, they should be easy to update and change, which I hope they'll do as needed.

David

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> Calendar Creator (2016 Release) >> Having lots of problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4