Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Image Cropping, Saving, Exporting

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Image Cropping, Saving, Exporting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Image Cropping, Saving, Exporting - 12/17/2008 7:00:55 PM   
bks

I have an image I want to crop or silhouette. I have used both the advanced and classic photoshop editors in Print Shop Pro Publisher 23 Deluxe. Want I am trying to do is silhouette the image and prevent the white background from showing up on my documents. Additionally, I want to export this image to be used in other documents both in Print Shop and other software I have. I read through the other forum posts concerning this issue and understand about clicking OK instead of save and have exported somewhat successfully. So here are my big questions for now.

1. When cropping in classic it allows you to free hand crop, however, it only allows you to do one crop. The image i am working with needs a crop around the exterior of the image as well as inside the image. Is there a way to do two freehand crops?

2. When using the advanced photo editor there is no freehand option that i notice. Is there one there that i am missing?

3. when i crop with classic, click OK, and then open the cropped image in advanced editor and use the lasso to do more editing and click ok the image comes back with the white background again. Why does this happen?

4. What is the best file formats to export to in order to use in other documents?

Hope this isn't to much.
Post #: 1
RE: Image Cropping, Saving, Exporting - 12/17/2008 7:47:21 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi bks,

I'm pretty sure that lindarobin will post some useful thoughts real soon about how/if you can accomplish your task with Print Shop.

But, if I were in your position, I wouldn't be using Print Shop for such advanced cropping and transparency requirements. And, that is because Print Shop was designed primarily as a desktop publisher - NOT as a Photo Editor. So, I would most certainly switch to a true Photo Editor - such as Paint Shop Pro - which is designed to selectively create transparent areas - right up to the edge of images - by way of a background eraser tool which is dragged just slightly over the edge of an image to define precisely which areas should be removed and which areas should remain. Since the transparency tools can do pretty much the same thing as freehand cropping (with a whole lot more precision than Print Shop's freehand cropping tool), you can do both things with the one tool. Paint Shop Pro also has a very nice cropping tool.

If you would rather not use Paint Shop Pro, I'm pretty sure lindarobin could recommend some cheaper (and possibly free) Photo Editors which could also do the job much quicker and easier than Print Shop.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 12/17/2008 9:29:36 PM >

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to bks)
Post #: 2
RE: Image Cropping, Saving, Exporting - 12/17/2008 8:34:31 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

ORIGINAL: bks
1. When cropping in classic it allows you to free hand crop, however, it only allows you to do one crop. The image i am working with needs a crop around the exterior of the image as well as inside the image. Is there a way to do two freehand crops?

There is no option to crop out a section inside the image.

quote:

2. When using the advanced photo editor there is no freehand option that i notice. Is there one there that i am missing?

It's called the Lasso Select (next to the Elliptical Select).

quote:

3. when i crop with classic, click OK, and then open the cropped image in advanced editor and use the lasso to do more editing and click ok the image comes back with the white background again. Why does this happen?

The Advanced Photo Editor saves EXCLUSIVELY as JPG. JPGs do not support transparency. Any areas that are cut out are automatically rendered as white background.

quote:

4. What is the best file formats to export to in order to use in other documents

The Advanced Photo Editor can only export as JPG. JPGs are a standard image format. All programs that work with images can import or open JPGs.

What you really want is a decent photo-editor that can support transparency and semi-transparency (such as partially opaque shadows). The file format that supports this is PNG. Print Shop does NOT support PNG, so I second Brandy's recommendation that you get a stand-alone photo-editor. I have Photo Shop Elements and MS Digital Image Pro and like them both.

Freeware photo-editors such as Irfanview and Gimp are available. I've never used them, but have heard they are pretty good as far as free goes.

Adobe offers a free trial of Photo Shop Elements, but you'd better take out a PSE book from the library and familiarize yourself with the program or you could be scratching your head for hours trying to figure out just its basic tools.

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 12/17/2008 8:45:06 PM >

(in reply to bks)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Image Cropping, Saving, Exporting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4