Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

PS 20 and 22 issues

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> PS 20 and 22 issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PS 20 and 22 issues - 4/24/2011 4:32:10 PM   
jrlawhead2

Ok, to preface this whole thing, the issues seemed to have started when I ghosted my moms hard drive to a bigger one.

Windows XP SP3

The issues I am having in trying to get PS 20 and 22 both working correctly are, when I open the program, it goes straight to a poster layout, it doesn't come up with project selection screen like it normally did. Clicking on file and going to new does not have any effect, neither does clicking the "new" button on the toolbar. When the main page is open, the object toolbar is missing (not really missing, its there, but there is nothing to click on, basically its like a frozen window there, if you open something over it, you see that image in its place. (tried the permissions fix, updated video drivers, uninstalled, ran ccleaner, rebooted, reinstalled (both 20 and 22 do this)) I even tried Revo uninstaller and uninstalled EVERYTHING related to printshop, uninstalled and reinstalled dot net framework, did a disk check and disk cleanup, defrag, deleted everything in prefetch etc etc.

Anything anyone has for me to try, I am pretty much at wits end with this thing. Maybe I should buy her 23, will that fix my issues?

Thanks for reading.
Post #: 1
RE: PS 20 and 22 issues - 4/24/2011 5:15:56 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi jrlawhead2,

It is entirely possible that the original problem was created when you ghosted your mom's hard drive to a bigger one instead of manually installing everything to the bigger hard drive.

And, you may have complicated the problem when you attempted an uninstall and reinstall - especially if you installed Print Shop 20 before you installed Print Shop 22. Even though it is possible to have more than one newer version of Print Shop installed on the computer at the same time, it is advisable to ALWAYS install the newest version first.

As to whether or not buying Print Shop 23 will fix your issues, I would have to assume that the issues will not be permanently fixed until you remove any and all corruption that exists on the computer. And, if the issues are not actually being caused by Print Shop, buying Print Shop 23 certainly won't fix the issues.

So, I would advise you to click on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=41214&mpage=1&key=ꃾ

then follow the directions in that FAQ for A) Performing a thorough uninstall, B) Performing a computer cleanup, C) Performing a 'clean' install.

Please do keep in mind that you MUST perform all 3 steps and directions exactly as described - and in the EXACT order they are recommended - WITHOUT performing any steps that are not recommended - with one exception.

Even though I don't have any hands-on experience with Revo uninstaller, I do know many people who use it all the time - with great success So, it should be possible for you to use Revo uninstaller instead of following the steps in the "Uninstalling Software: Thoroughly & Safely" FAQ.

Then, be very sure to follow up that thorough uninstall by a complete computer cleanup - including ALL Steps except Step 7.

And, when you reach Step 4. Run Registry Cleaner, you will want to be sure to use a regular registry cleaner - and NOT try to edit the registry manually.

Beside the fact that there is no need to manually remove software references from the registry after an uninstall, it is never a good idea to do so - because manually removing software references from the registry can cause the registry to be corrupted. If/when a registry is corrupted, the only recourse is often to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the Operating System (unless you made sure to back up the registry before editing it).

When you reach Step 3 - performing a 'clean' install - install ONLY Print Shop 22. Then, restart your computer, start ONLY Print Shop 22, then check to see if Print Shop 22 works correctly.

If Print Shop 22 does not work correctly, the most logical explanation is that the bigger drive was corrupted by the ghosting. And, if that is the case, I'm afraid I cannot help you - because I have never ghosted a hard drive. And, in that case, your only recourse would be to take your computer to a professional computer tech.

If Print Shop 22 does work correctly, it should be safe to perform a 'clean' reinstall of Print Shop 20.

Please be sure to post back here to let me know whether or not you were able to successfully install Print Shop 22.

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to jrlawhead2)
Post #: 2
RE: PS 20 and 22 issues - 4/24/2011 5:50:54 PM   
jrlawhead2

Brandy, thanks for the quick reply.

A little quick background on myself, I've been working professionally in a computer repair shop for 13 years now, I'm not saying I know everything there us to know about computers, but I do know a bit. What I can say is, I've never seen a ghost corrupt 1 program out of all the programs on a computer. I have however seen virus removal affect a program like that, and one I can recall quite well had to do with PS15, but I was able to remove that with revo and reinstall it with no issues.

The reason I was trying to install 20 first is that's the program that she prefers, I never did try to install or reinstall 22, it was already installed on there before I started working on it. (with the same issue) I did the full uninstall stuffs on 22 before I tried to think about putting 20 back in there. I look forward to any other thoughts you might have. I'm not at her house right now, so I cannot try reinstalling 22 back on there, I probably won't be able to get back out there for another couple of weeks.

Thanks again,

Jason

< Message edited by jrlawhead2 -- 4/24/2011 5:51:30 PM >

(in reply to Brandy redux)
Post #: 3
RE: PS 20 and 22 issues - 4/24/2011 6:06:28 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi Jason,

If your mother prefers Print Shop 20, I would recommend that you click on the link I suggested earlier - to this "Error: The program has stopped working" FAQ

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=41214&mpage=1&key=%EA%83%BE

Then, I would recommend that you follow all of the steps I recommended in my previous reply above - making sure that both Print Shop 20 and Print Shop 22 are thoroughly uninstalled before proceeding to the computer cleanup. Then, when you reach the 'clean' install step, install ONLY Print Shop 20.

For More Help:

(in reply to jrlawhead2)
Post #: 4
RE: PS 20 and 22 issues - 4/24/2011 6:35:26 PM   
Brandy redux

One Additional Thought Jason,

It is my understanding that ghosting from one hard drive to another should create a clone which is identical to that of the "parent hard drive".

So, if both Print Shop 20 and Print Shop 22 worked correctly on the original hard drive, they should also work correctly on the ghosted hard drive - because the installations on both hard drives should have been identical. Since they apparently did not work correctly on the ghosted hard drive, the fault cannot be with the Print Shop software.

However, if Print Shop 20 and Print Shop 22 did not work correctly on the parent hard drive, that would indicate that the installation of one or both versions of Print Shop were corrupt. And, the link that I recommended earlier is always suggested to fix corrupt installations.

For More Help:

(in reply to Brandy redux)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> PS 20 and 22 issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4