Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

extend family tree

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.5 >> extend family tree Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
extend family tree - 1/11/2015 5:07:31 AM   
Barbara Quinn

My grandson wants to use Family Tree to display heritage for project fair. He wants to go back farther then what is shown when the project opens. Can you add extensions upward to include more distant ancestors? How
Post #: 1
RE: extend family tree - 1/11/2015 10:01:25 AM   
ellengard

You can add "photo block" copies for the additional relatives. Drawing the extra tree branches is something you can do with lines and shapes, if you don't have the experience of editing graphics in a program like Photo Shop Elements.

(in reply to Barbara Quinn)
Post #: 2
RE: extend family tree - 1/11/2015 11:05:57 AM   
Barbara Quinn

Thanks.. I am not familiar with "photo block". Is that something available to the family tree template?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: extend family tree - 1/11/2015 1:56:53 PM   
ellengard

The different tree templates have different "blocks" depicting where the photos go. I don't know what else to call them, since they can be different in each template e.g. rectangles with mattes, ovals with shadows, etc.

For consistency, you would want to copy and paste these photo blocks, thingies, graphics, placeholders, whatever you what to call them.

Here's a screen capture showing how I've made duplicate photo thingies, which can be filled in with actual pictures and text, then moved upwards.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ellengard -- 1/11/2015 2:15:01 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: extend family tree - 1/11/2015 2:49:49 PM   
Barbara Quinn

Thank you so much. That looks easy enough. I think I am supposed to mark this thread as resolved but I don't know how to do that either. Would you indulge me just one more time and tell me? You have been a great help. Thanks.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 5
RE: extend family tree - 1/11/2015 4:38:49 PM   
ellengard

You're welcome! On this forum, there isn't a way to mark the thread as resolved (that I know of). If the original poster replies saying what helped, that's more than good enough!

When I was playing around with the tree template above, here's a couple of tips that made duplicating easier.

Grouping:
Click and drag your mouse to touch the items that make up the photo block (in this case, there are two shapes and a text box).
When you see selection boxes indicating the appropriate items, right-click and group. That makes dragging the group to a new position easier than dragging the individual items.
Ungrouping is required to edit the individual items.

Fill Shape:
Shapes can be filled with a photo. This can be a time saver, not having to crop and resize the photo. See this blog post for a tutorial:
http://www.printshop.com/blog/2014/12/6/fill-a-shape-with-a-photo.aspx

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.5 >> extend family tree Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4