Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Getting text centered in a text box.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Getting text centered in a text box. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Getting text centered in a text box. - 8/1/2017 10:33:28 PM   
earth_grinder

Using Print Shop 23.1 to make a display poster. My problem is centering the test both vertically inside the box. If I try to shrink the box on the side where there is extra space above the text, it pushes the text even more to the bottom of the box.
Post #: 1
RE: Getting text centered in a text box. - 8/2/2017 12:11:52 AM   
ellengard

Highlight the text. Click Text> Vertical Alignment> Middle. That will make your paragraph have equal space at the top and bottom of the text box, as long as your text box is big enough to fit all the text.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to earth_grinder)
Post #: 2
RE: Getting text centered in a text box. - 8/2/2017 6:31:32 PM   
earth_grinder

Tried your recommendation but it is still not centered. Would like test centered in the gray text boxes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: Getting text centered in a text box. - 8/2/2017 9:19:49 PM   
ellengard

Your text box is too short. There is a certain amount of space at the top that can't be adjusted and it is dependent on the font family and font size. So either make your text box taller until the top and bottom space looks the same or don't color fill the text box. Use a colored rectangular shape and place the text over top.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: Getting text centered in a text box. - 8/2/2017 10:31:22 PM   
earth_grinder

Thank you, I will give your suggestions a try.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 5
RE: Getting text centered in a text box. - 8/3/2017 12:35:32 AM   
ellengard

Here's an idea for utilizing white space. We often think that if we don't cover the entire page, we don't "get our money's worth", but white space can help bring things into focus.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ellengard -- 8/3/2017 12:40:09 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: Getting text centered in a text box. - 8/3/2017 7:53:21 AM   
earth_grinder

WOW, makes mine look like plain vanilla! I like it. What font did you use? I really like the font. I don't have those creative graphic skills, unfortunately. I really appreciate all of your input and taking the time to help me.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 7
RE: Getting text centered in a text box. - 8/3/2017 1:47:57 PM   
ellengard

The font is B790-Deco. I was scrolling through the font list and this font caught my eye because it looked like steel pipe to me, and heavy machinery makes me think of steel. Thanks for liking my idea. Feel free to use any part of it.

Oops, I just realized the auto-correct to the word, "bilt" which should not have happened as it is part of the brand name.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 8/3/2017 1:54:38 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Getting text centered in a text box. - 8/3/2017 11:30:04 PM   
earth_grinder

You have been a great help. I want to keep your info handy and I plan to use your sign as a guide and see if I can reproduce it in Print Shop. Also I plan on going through your links posted at the bottom of your replies. Thanks again.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 9
RE: Getting text centered in a text box. - 8/4/2017 12:56:30 AM   
ellengard

You are very welcome! I still enjoy using Print Shop 23.1 - one of the reasons why I kept Win 7. It's a good program and there is really only one additional thing I wish it could do - allow fonts to be embedded when creating a PDF to be sent for professional printing.

If you are printing at home, this isn't an issue, but if you are thinking of using a professional printing service, I'd be glad to help you create the PDF file.

I hope you find some of the desktop publishing articles I've posted on my website informative. Do feel free to ask questions about them!

Post #: 10
RE: Getting text centered in a text box. - 8/4/2017 7:46:47 AM   
earth_grinder

I am running 23.1 on Windows 10 Pro and do not seem to be having any problems.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 11
RE: Getting text centered in a text box. - 8/4/2017 2:30:58 PM   
ellengard

23.1 is very old and is not supported on Win 10, but for some like yourself, it has continued to work. The general belief is that the program will stop working on Win 10 when updates make the operating system completely incompatible with the program.

For this reason, it is very important to export essential projects/images to JPG, so you have them available to use in any graphics program you choose to use in the future. Unfortunately for one poster, he never saved as JPG, the business logo he created in the old Print Shop. He couldn't recreate the logo exactly, in any other program, on his new computer. If you have projects/ images essential to your business, start exporting them as high res JPGs, while you can.

Post #: 12
RE: Getting text centered in a text box. - 8/4/2017 3:34:17 PM   
earth_grinder

I have my posters/signs saved in the Print Shop file extension in a folder. Could I not take those files to a Windows 7 or Windows XP computer and run them?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 13
RE: Getting text centered in a text box. - 8/4/2017 4:22:52 PM   
ellengard

Yes, as long as you can install The Print Shop 23.1 program on that computer first. However, do not rely solely on that. The older computer might die or the program disk may get lost or damaged.

Post #: 14
RE: Getting text centered in a text box. - 8/4/2017 10:33:43 PM   
earth_grinder

Over the years I have used 5, 12 and now 23.1 for making my hobby display signs and hobby "business cards". Mostly just simple stuff, since I am not a person with artistic talents.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Getting text centered in a text box. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4