Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Text Size for Labels

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM Printing Specific Issues >> Text Size for Labels Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Text Size for Labels - 3/17/2017 7:20:02 PM   
plantsower

I am trying to print some address labels. First I found the labels I wanted. Then I brought up the text box. The font says 10 but when I type it in, it's huge!! So, I selected all and tried to make it smaller. That didn't work. The text wants to remain very big. I can't adjust it.

What am I missing. I've made labels before and never had this problem. I don't use my Printmaster much because I have a Mac so I have to change computers just to use it. Anyway, I use PM 16 premium.

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/17/2017 10:47:22 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: plantsower

I am trying to print some address labels. First I found the labels I wanted. Then I brought up the text box. The font says 10 but when I type it in, it's huge!! So, I selected all and tried to make it smaller. That didn't work... I've made labels before and never had this problem... I use PM 16 premium.

I am not having the problem you describe with labels. I can suggest that you delete the text box. Add a new text box and go from there.

Another suggestion: It could be that the label you found is corrupted. Start a new label project of the same Avery type.

If you are finding that you can't type regular size fonts in ALL label projects, then that's probably a tech issue. Are you using WinXP? I think that is the most compatible operating system for PM16.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ellengard -- 3/17/2017 10:53:06 PM >

(in reply to plantsower)
Post #: 2
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/17/2017 11:37:50 PM   
plantsower

Thanks for your response. Yes, it's Windows XP. I went out of the text box and tried again. Same thing. I went out of everything and tried again. Same thing. After trying different things I noticed that it only happens on the little return labels such as Avery 5667, 6467, 8167, Ll7651, etc.

I tried it with a blank sheet and larger labels and I don't have the problem. So, I guess those are clues but not for me.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/18/2017 2:01:21 AM   
ellengard

quote:

... I noticed that it only happens on the little return labels such as Avery 5667, 6467, 8167, Ll7651, etc.

I don't think there is a problem. On a really small label, such as 8167, Times New Roman size 10 should look huge. Size is relative. Add a text box, stretch it to fill the label. You will run into trouble if your text box is too small.

Type one letter, then go choose size "6". Go back to typing. Backspace over the first letter.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to plantsower)
Post #: 4
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/18/2017 6:18:26 PM   
plantsower

Hi Ellengard: I did what you said and it made no difference. I even changed fonts. I had started with Amery and then went to New Courier. It's still big print even at 6. I have made labels for these little labels before and had no problem. I just can't fathom what has changed. I'm about ready to give up but I do appreciate your time.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 5
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/18/2017 7:43:32 PM   
ellengard

Open a sign project. Add a text box, no larger than small label size. Type in size 6 font. You will need to zoom into the project to see this small item.

Select the text box (the actual text box, not just the words inside). Copy and paste to your label project.
quote:

I just can't fathom what has changed.

Unfortunately, PM16 is so old, and WinXP is also so old, that there is no tech support for either. I would guess that the last Windows update you had broke this part of the program, so there's nothing you can do to fix it, other than find workarounds.

(in reply to plantsower)
Post #: 6
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/18/2017 9:41:30 PM   
plantsower

Thanks. I will give that a shot when I get a chance. I realize my PM and XP are old. I only use the XP for PM because I use a Mac for everything else. I wish they made a decent print program for the Mac but I haven't found one yet.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 7
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/18/2017 10:12:08 PM   
ellengard

quote:

...I wish they made a decent print program for the Mac but I haven't found one yet.

Here's an article about Mac publishing software. They also review PrintMaster and The Print Shop for Mac.
http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/multimedia/best-mac-publishing-software/

The fastest, easiest way to do labels on your Mac right now, is to go to Avery.com and take advantage of their free label printing app.

(in reply to plantsower)
Post #: 8
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/18/2017 11:26:07 PM   
plantsower

Thanks for the info. I think I tried Avery in the past. I can't remember if it worked for me or not, but I will check it out and the link you gave me. Thanks so much!

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 9
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/19/2017 12:14:59 AM   
JasonC

Although an oldie but goodie, you can try our Print Shop 23.1 program which we still sell. As of this message I post it appears we're running a sale on it. The new PS and PM is not XP compatible so this would be a great option for you.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to plantsower)
Post #: 10
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/19/2017 12:26:33 PM   
plantsower

Thank you!

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 11
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/19/2017 12:29:08 PM   
plantsower

I tried Avery last night. It printed just off part of the label, so that's out. I downloaded Publisher Lite from the App Store but I don't see anything that prints labels fem Publisher Lite. I will take all you guys have given me to chew on and figure something out. Thanks.

(in reply to plantsower)
Post #: 12
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/19/2017 12:40:02 PM   
plantsower

This is for Ellengard: Your email bounced back so I hope you see this. Did you really mean to say choose a "sign" project because there are no sign templates in Platinum 16.

Thanks.

(in reply to plantsower)
Post #: 13
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/19/2017 7:48:10 PM   
ellengard

The blank page project is also called a sign project. It is saved as a ".sig" file.

(in reply to plantsower)
Post #: 14
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/19/2017 7:53:05 PM   
ellengard

quote:

I tried Avery last night. It printed just off part of the label, so that's out.

You missed something. The Avery app creates a perfectly aligned PDF. So if you didn't create your PDF, you missed something. If the PDF doesn't print correctly, your printer settings are wrong or your printer driver is out of date.

(in reply to plantsower)
Post #: 15
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/19/2017 9:42:29 PM   
plantsower

Open a sign project. Add a text box, no larger than small label size. Type in size 6 font. I'm not sure how to tell if I'm making it the same size as the small address label but I will give it a shot.

I noticed that the Avery App wants me to use Adobe which I don't need in the Mac. So maybe that's why it didn't work. So much to think about regarding PDF and printer settings and driver out of date. I'm feeling overwhelmed.

I did look at the link you sent me and the PrintMaster for mac had low ratings on Amazon. However, if it's basically the same as the one I have, I'm okay with it. I'm just not sure I want to spend $40.00 to make labels now and then. I will try more things like the "sign" thing. Thanks for all your help and time.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 16
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/20/2017 1:23:43 AM   
ellengard

quote:

... I'm not sure how to tell if I'm making it the same size as the small address label

Sounds like you've never used the size feature where you can type in the width and height. Or how about looking at the status bar to see the size? However, it doesn't have to be exact. You're going to tweak the text box after you paste it into the label project, anyway.

quote:

I noticed that the Avery App wants me to use Adobe which I don't need in the Mac.

You mean Adobe Reader? Of course you need it. How else can you read and print PDF? Adobe Reader is free.

quote:

I'm just not sure I want to spend $40.00 to make labels now and then.

I wouldn't want to either.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 3/20/2017 1:27:07 AM >

(in reply to plantsower)
Post #: 17
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/20/2017 12:52:05 PM   
plantsower

Hi: But no, I don't need Adobe Reader. Macs have their own reader called Preview for PDF's, etc. I'll try the "sign" thing later today. Thank you again.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 18
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/20/2017 3:02:29 PM   
ellengard

Sorry, not being a Mac user, I didn't know about Preview, so I checked out some other forums to see what Mac users had to say about Preview vs Adobe Reader.

My take-away is that in general, Mac users prefer Preview, except for specific instances such as when printing a PDF with fill-in forms.

The most compelling statement by one poster was, "I have had printing problems with Preview that were corrected by installing and using Reader."

From what I read, it is not worthwhile to install Reader unless Preview printed the PDF incorrectly. Try a couple more label designs with Avery.com. If Preview doesn't print them OK, you can try Reader.

For further advice, I'm sure there are Mac support sites where users can recommend a label-making app.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 3/20/2017 3:04:38 PM >

(in reply to plantsower)
Post #: 19
RE: Text Size for Labels - 3/20/2017 3:24:50 PM   
JasonC

Kind of an obvious thing but what does the zoom level look like on the template that you are working with?

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to plantsower)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM Printing Specific Issues >> Text Size for Labels Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4