Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Text letters are not sharp.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Printing Specific Issues >> Text letters are not sharp. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Text letters are not sharp. - 12/18/2007 8:03:52 PM   
jdh6798

I have printshop deluxe 20 and have laid out a greeting card from scratch following directions. However the text in my text box is NOT sharp like it should be. According to the package they use "PRO-PRINT technology" which is supposed to produce sharp clear lettering. Mine looks like what they show that it WON"T look like! This is visible both on the screen and when printed. Are there settings or adjustments that can or need to be made to have the sharpest lettering possible??

I hope you can help.
Thanks.

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 8/14/2010 10:45:02 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Text letters are not sharp. - 12/18/2007 8:41:53 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdh6798
... the text in my text box is NOT sharp like it should be...both on the screen and when printed. Are there settings or adjustments that can or need to be made to have the sharpest lettering possible??

There definitely must be a print setting that needs to be changed because PS prints exceptionally well. I even use it to create documents and custom calendars for our store customers.

Have you looked at all your print settings under the print properties and advanced? Are you selecting high quality printing? Are you printing as truetype font or bitmap? Are you sure your ink cartridge is full, the nozzles are clean?

Easy test. Print some text from WordPad using the same printer settings you had when you printed from PS. How's it look? If it's not good, and you had it on best quality setting, then you know it is your printer or ink cartridge.

(in reply to jdh6798)
Post #: 2
RE: Text letters are not sharp. - 12/18/2007 8:49:20 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi jdh6798,

Since you said the text in your text box is NOT sharp like it should be, I have to wonder if, maybe, the problem is that the font you are using is not designed to be sharp.

So, it might help a lot if you would tell us which font you are using when you see that the text is not sharp. And, please also tell us which size you have selected for the text.

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 3
RE: Text letters are not sharp. - 12/18/2007 8:52:43 PM   
jdh6798

It is not my printer because I didn't print it. I copied it as a PDF and took it on a disk to a quick printer. The photo I put on it looks good and sharp but the lettering doesn't. And like I said you can see on the computer screen if you look close that the edges of the letters look strange. What about truetype vs bit map? I'm not familiar with this.
If you could elaborate on any items I should check given this situation I'd appreciate it.
By the way, thanks for your prompt response.

(in reply to jdh6798)
Post #: 4
RE: Text letters are not sharp. - 12/18/2007 8:57:46 PM   
jdh6798

The type font is Amery 18 pt colored . If I magnify it on the screen very large I can see step like irregularies.

(in reply to jdh6798)
Post #: 5
RE: Text letters are not sharp. - 12/18/2007 9:25:45 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

...I didn't print it. I copied it as a PDF and took it on a disk to a quick printer.

That's your problem right there!! The PDF converted the text to IMAGE. Examine your PDF more closely and you will see that you cannot highlight and copy/paste the text into a word-processor.

(in reply to jdh6798)
Post #: 6
RE: Text letters are not sharp. - 12/18/2007 10:02:02 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

The type font is Amery 18 pt colored . If I magnify it on the screen very large I can see step like irregularies.

Text on computer screens look jaggy when zoomed in. This has NOTHING to do with print quality. (unless you are looking at graphics that look like words, but are not true text because it cannot be copy/pasted into a word-processor.)

Screen resolution, typically 72 ppi or 96 ppi, is so low that the human eye can see the individual pixels. Curves display with step-like squares because they are made up of little square pixels. However, when the text is printed at high resolution, its curves are smooth.

See this circle? On screen, the curves are noticeably jaggy. However, if I create a circle in a drawing program such that it is a vector graphic, the circle will print perfectly smoothly, even though it displays like this.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jdh6798)
Post #: 7
RE: Text letters are not sharp. - 12/18/2007 10:28:47 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

...I copied it as a PDF and took it on a disk to a quick printer

It is unfortunate that the quick printer does not have PrintShop installed and that you must resort to a PDF. You could try again and make sure you choose the HIGHEST resolution available in the PDF settings. This will make the text be as sharp as it can be when it is converted to image. However, the file size will be enormous.

There are better PDF converters that embed the fonts into the file so that the text remains true text. However, I know of no free PDF convertor that can do this with PrintShop.

This is what I suggest to my customers who like to design their own cards, but can't convert to a PDF with embedded fonts:

Remove all text (but not text art) and save the graphics as high resolution TIF. Include a WordPad doc with the text you want on the card. Be aware that you should use a font that is installed at the quick printer, otherwise they will have to do a font substitution.

At the store, the associate will add your graphics and your text into the store's desktop publishing program to create your card. You will get excellent results. You pay more, but if you are doing 100 cards for a party, the cost is spread out.

Call around at different stores. It is possible that one of them does use a Broderbund desktop publishing program and hopefully their version is compatible with your version. Too bad you can't come to my store in Canada.

(in reply to jdh6798)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Printing Specific Issues >> Text letters are not sharp. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4