Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

editing a section of an image

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> editing a section of an image Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
editing a section of an image - 12/12/2008 10:16:20 AM   
Linda R

Can I lighten (change the tint) the picture in a text box? I want to make the text pop. Thanks.
Linda

-------------
I've changed the subject line of this thread to accurately describe the techniques explained below, so that other users can find it when they do a key word search.

This thread is about image editing, not text box editing which is limited to changing font style, font color, font size, left/right/center justification, etc.

-lindarobin

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 12/14/2008 8:53:07 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: editing text box - 12/12/2008 10:35:00 AM   
lindarobin

Select your image, then click the tint box (looks like a row of black and gray squares) and choose the desired level of lightening.

BTW, this is editing the image, not the text box. Images are layered either above or below the text box and cannot actually be inserted into the text box.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 12/12/2008 10:46:51 AM >

(in reply to Linda R)
Post #: 2
RE: editing text box - 12/12/2008 11:09:01 AM   
Linda R

I understand. So what you are saying is that to lighten my project I need to lighten the entire image--I can't just lighten the part in the text box. Correct?

(in reply to Linda R)
Post #: 3
RE: editing text box - 12/12/2008 11:45:03 AM   
lindarobin

Do you mean to say that your text box overlaps a big image and you want only that part of the image that is under the text, to be lightened?

(in reply to Linda R)
Post #: 4
RE: editing text box - 12/12/2008 11:55:27 AM   
Linda R

Yes exactly. My entire image is a postcard, then the text box is located at the top and I want to "fade" under the text so that it is more readable. Make sense?

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 5
RE: editing text box - 12/12/2008 5:14:03 PM   
lindarobin

Make sure you have a backup copy of the image in case it gets overwritten when you follow these instructions.

Select the image and open the Photo Tools menu in the side bar. Click on "Advanced Photo Editor".

Using the rectangular selection tool, define the area you want to lighten. From the menu bar, choose Adjust| Hue/Saturation/Lightness. Move sliders to get desired effect.

Close Advanced Photo Editor. You will be prompted to save your changes. Say Yes.

Your edited image will appear in your project.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 12/12/2008 5:16:29 PM >

(in reply to Linda R)
Post #: 6
RE: editing text box - 12/13/2008 2:30:05 PM   
Linda R

Thank you for your help but I don't have Advanced Photo Editor. Under the Photo Tools I have:
crop and orientation
adjust color
adjust brightness and focus
fix flaw
apply photo effects
apply area effects
apply artistic stamps
apply brush effects

And none of them were lit or accessible.

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 7
RE: editing text box - 12/13/2008 2:35:08 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi Linda,

The Photo Tools in the Print Shop toolbar will not be lit until after you click on an art image to select it.

The Advanced Photo Editor is available in the left toolbar for ONLY the Deluxe and the Pro Publisher versions of Print Shop. The Advanced Photo Editor is NOT available in either the Standard or the Express version of Print Shop.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 12/14/2008 1:32:52 AM >

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to Linda R)
Post #: 8
RE: editing text box - 12/13/2008 3:09:49 PM   
Linda R

Brandy--I am using Print Shop 22. The only way they light up is when I highlight the entire picture not just the text box. Help...

(in reply to Brandy redux)
Post #: 9
RE: editing text box - 12/13/2008 3:23:38 PM   
lindarobin

Here's your alternative method.

• Select image. Copy/paste it into your project.
  • Select the copy. Click Crop from the Photo Tools.
  • Crop to the section that will "fit" under your text box.
  • Adjust the brightness/saturation of this cropped image so that it appears washed out.
  • Close the Photo Workshop. Do not save.
  • The cropped, washed out image appears in your project.
  • Position it under your text box.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 12/14/2008 3:19:22 AM >

(in reply to Linda R)
Post #: 10
RE: editing text box - 12/14/2008 3:07:55 AM   
lindarobin

Here is another method of making a section of an image looked washed out:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Linda R)
Post #: 11
RE: editing text box - 12/14/2008 7:56:56 AM   
Linda R

I understand what you are saying but the only time that I can select crop is when the entire image is selected. It will not let me select just the text box and then the photo tools. I wish I could embed my project to you, but it will only let me send a jpg, tif or gif image and my print shop only offers pdf or pcr as extensions. I'm stuck.

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 12
RE: editing text box - 12/14/2008 7:58:53 AM   
Linda R

Are there any free upgrades that would allow me to do what you just suggested? That looks perfect.

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 13
RE: editing text box - 12/14/2008 8:28:59 AM   
Linda R

lindarobin--I finally got it. The last suggestion works--one more question: is it possible to soften the edges of the area effect? I looked through the options but didn't see one. Thanks again for all your help.

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 14
RE: editing text box - 12/14/2008 11:15:08 AM   
lindarobin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Linda R
... is it possible to soften the edges of the area effect? I looked through the options but didn't see one.

There is no feathering tool, but you can fake it using combinations of special effects. You would have to understand the cropping I explained in post #10. You must create a second copy of the image and then crop it yes, the entire image. You apply special effects to the crop, then you put the edited crop over top of your untouched image.

The result is that it looks like you edited a section of the image.

In this example, I took the edited crop and applied a special effect called soft edges.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 12/14/2008 11:53:46 AM >

(in reply to Linda R)
Post #: 15
RE: editing text box - 12/14/2008 11:57:41 AM   
lindarobin

So once you have your crop edited and positioned over your original image, it looks like one image with a modified section:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Linda R)
Post #: 16
RE: editing text box - 12/14/2008 4:11:35 PM   
Linda R

Thank you so much for all of your help. To be honest, I gave it my best shot but there is an awful lot I don't know...I may have to move to another program for what I am looking for. Thanks again.
Linda

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 17
RE: editing text box - 12/14/2008 5:11:36 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Linda R
...I may have to move to another program for what I am looking for

The number one photo editor is Adobe PhotoShop which is several hundred dollars, but for around $100, you can buy PhotoShop Elements, which is simpler, but still very powerful. You can download a free trial of it at the Adobe website.

These are photo-editors, not desktop publishers such as Print Shop. PhotoShop and Print Shop are two completely different applications. The former is for creating art and graphics; the latter for creating publications.

Photo Shop and PS Elements have a very high learning curve. Easily 200 hours to learn all the basics. Compare that to the 15 hours it took me to figure out everything in Print Shop's Photo Tool: The Photo Workshop.

(in reply to Linda R)
Post #: 18
RE: editing text box - 12/14/2008 5:34:05 PM   
Linda R

Believe it or not, I have PhotoShop Elements--I just could never figure it out, so put it away. I played around with it a bit tonight and I might be able to get it to work. Patience is not my strong suit. You must use Print Shop often to be so proficient at it. I saved all of your advice and information--I may come back to this program after all....

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> editing a section of an image Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4