Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Export large file

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Export/Import >> Export large file Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Export large file - 10/4/2012 7:48:31 AM   
jps32016

I have a very large photo mural banner project . I see where 23.1 can export a maximum of 226 mb, and my project is more than twice that size if I want to use high resolution. Is there any way to slice the project into seperate pieces to export?
Post #: 1
RE: Export large file - 10/4/2012 9:52:03 AM   
lindarobin

Are you exporting it for the purpose of getting the banner printed somewhere else? If so, what file format do you wish to export it to? What is the height and width of the banner?

There are methods of parceling your project that are better suited for particular files and dimensions, so please post back.

Very important: Will this be one large continuous sheet of paper from a huge roll OR will this be several sheets of paper that you will tape together?

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 10/4/2012 1:43:29 PM >

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 2
RE: Export large file - 10/4/2012 2:12:20 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jps32016
I see where 23.1 can export a maximum of 226 mb, and my project is more than twice that size if I want to use high resolution.

Your project size may be super large, but perhaps not as a high resolution JPG. A flat JPG can be a fraction of the size of a multi-layered photo rich project.
Did you try exporting as JPG. What did you get?

Did some calculations. A high res JPG, 2 feet by 10 feet banner with millions of colors can be up to 200 MB. Is that well within your range?

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 10/4/2012 2:46:35 PM >

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 3
RE: Export large file - 10/5/2012 3:33:16 PM   
jps32016

It's 21 feet long. I found I could only save it at 75 jpeg as PS doesn't seem to be able to save anything larger than 226 mb. And when I take it to the printer it has to be exanded to 2' x 64'. Guess I'm out of luck. A couple times I was able to save early incomplete copies via PDF, now that's acting up with error messages on me.

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 4
RE: Export large file - 10/5/2012 4:23:23 PM   
lindarobin

You can print to PDF and specify the tiles you want printed. For example, tiles 1 to 4, then 5 to 8, etc. Later these separate PDFs can be printed at a rescaled size.

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 5
RE: Export large file - 10/5/2012 5:25:52 PM   
lindarobin

If the huge file size of the project prevents you from creating the PDFs, try splitting the banner project in two. i.e. create two copies. In copy A, delete the last few pages. In copy B, delete the first few pages.

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 6
RE: Export large file - 10/5/2012 5:34:53 PM   
Brandy redux

quote:

A couple times I was able to save early incomplete copies via PDF, now that's acting up with error messages on me.

If you are trying to use the 'Save as PDF' option, which is not quite the same thing as the 'print to PDF' which lindarobin mentioned above,

you will want to click on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=40319&mpage=1&key=鵿

to view the difference between 'Print to PDF' and 'Save as PDF'.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 10/5/2012 11:57:27 PM >

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 7
RE: Export large file - 10/5/2012 7:59:10 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

... when I take it to the printer it has to be exanded to 2' x 64'.

64 feet long? So we are really talking about a custom vinyl banner costing between $200 and $600? It is very unlikely that a vinyl banner printing company will accept anything other than one complete file that must contain either embedded fonts or text as outlines. Print Shop cannot create such a file.

Perhaps you can submit your photo files to the company with screen captures of your Print Shop project, and let their designers put together the necessary file.

(The info I gave earlier is appropriate for printing onto paper sheets that will be taped together.)

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 10/5/2012 8:04:08 PM >

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 8
RE: Export large file - 10/6/2012 7:05:24 AM   
jps32016

Hi Linda. PS 23.1 was certainly a bit of a disappointment for me because it was touted as working with Win 7, but it crashes an awful lot when working on this project, even though I have 8 GB of Ram, so I frequently stop and save what I have before moving on. I orginally tried cutting the project into pieces as I can save up to 10 pages at good resolution, but I discovered unless it is a new unsaved project, the pages don't recede as you cut back. It still recognizes the project as 24 pages and won't export it. Don't know of any way to eliminate those pages. As for PDF, I discovered all the botched attempts were still on the desktop and could not de deleted, so I restarted and then was able to get rid of them. On the next attempt at a PDF save it worked. Maybe that was messing it up. I'm not finished yet but am hoping by this trial and error I'll get it. Only need one good save. Thanks for your help. Any other tips would be appreciated as well.

John

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 9
RE: Export large file - 10/6/2012 9:57:15 AM   
lindarobin

quote:

Hi Linda. PS 23.1 was certainly a bit of a disappointment for me because it was touted as working with Win 7, but it crashes an awful lot when working on this project, even though I have 8 GB of Ram, so I frequently stop and save what I have before moving on.

This is not the program's fault. Any program working on a multi-layer file that is more than half a gigabyte is going to crash.

quote:

As for PDF, I discovered all the botched attempts were still on the desktop and could not de deleted, so I restarted and then was able to get rid of them. On the next attempt at a PDF save it worked.

You probably used up all your available RAM and filled up your scratch drive. Turn off internet. Turn off anti-virus programs. Turn off all programs running in the background. Run a disk cleanup. Restart the program after a couple of saves. This frees up RAM and your scratch drive anew.

quote:

the pages don't recede as you cut back.

They do. Delete objects, then select the remaining objects and move them towards the first page. The last pages disappear. (It's the first pages that won't disappear.) Every time you do this, you must save as a new project name. This will give you smaller, manageable project sizes that won't crash. I suggest you try to make 4 banner projects (subsets of the one big banner project).

quote:

Only need one good save.

IMHO, that won't happen because the program will crash if you try to make one PDF for the entire project. You will probably need to make 4(?) PDFs that will need to be merged into one, using a program like Adobe Acrobat.

However, I must say again, I believe your best course of action is to supply the vinyl banner printing company with your digital photos and design idea and let their designers take care of the rest. You do not have the tools required to supply text as vector graphics, therefore on something as large as this banner, your text will be blurry.

When investing $200 to $600 on a vinyl banner, it would be tragic to have everything blurry. Don't consider using 75 dpi!

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 10
RE: Export large file - 10/9/2012 8:22:00 AM   
jps32016

Hi Linda,

I tried a test project moving images to the front, and the banner size did shrink, but not after it had been saved. It stayed at 24 pages. Also, this is an enormous project with a great many photoshop tweaks, not just single photos. I was able to save an earlier incomplete 24 page version which came out at 246 mb. But since then all attempts at Saving as PDF have just caused freezeups and error messages (could not print). Saving it a few pages at a time would be fine, but I don't see any way to do that in the menu. How can that be done? Thanks.

John S

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 11
RE: Export large file - 10/9/2012 11:17:28 AM   
lindarobin

quote:

Saving it a few pages at a time would be fine, but I don't see any way to do that in the menu. How can that be done?

See post #5. Print to PDF specific tiles.

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 12
RE: Export large file - 10/9/2012 11:21:03 AM   
lindarobin

quote:

... this is an enormous project with a great many photoshop tweaks, not just single photos.

Have you considered making this banner in Photo Shop? It's a very powerful program and may do what you need.

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 13
RE: Export large file - 10/9/2012 4:09:51 PM   
jps32016

Hi Linda

Well I finally got a usable PDF I think. The Save to PDF always leaves out portions of the project (and deletes them), the Cute PDF doesn't work, and the Print to PDF does, but when I try to change resolution properties, I get a "Printer not ativated error 30" message. However, if I skip that and just go ahead and print, I get a usable save (after a couple tries), but it's only 81 mb. Even so, when I enlarge it on the screen it still looks fine at 200% which is what I will need for the finished product at triple size. When I selected only 8 tiles to print, it printed the whole thing anyway. Any thoughts? Thanks.

John S

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 14
RE: Export large file - 10/9/2012 6:25:40 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

... the Cute PDF doesn't work... When I selected only 8 tiles to print, it printed the whole thing anyway. Any thoughts?

Printing selected tiles to the Cute PDF Writer works perfectly for me so I don't know what we are doing differently other than your file is so big, maybe that messes things up.

Print Shop isn't designed for making a banner 64 feet long which is why you're having so much trouble. I would use Photo Shop since you used it to create your photo montage already. However, my first choice would be what I said in post #10, at the bottom.

I've designed vinyl banners and coroplast signs for local businesses. Creating the PDFs was easy because I used only vector graphics so file size is small, but print size can be big as a billboard with no image pixelation. Print Shop is not the right tool for this.

For huge projects with raster images, I would submit the images to the printing company as I described in post #8.

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 10/9/2012 6:28:25 PM >

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 15
RE: Export large file - 10/15/2012 7:00:40 AM   
jps32016

Hello again Linda,

Well, I finally found the solution. I moved the whole project over to my old backup Win XP computer which is not connected to the internet. It has only 1 gig of Ram (my new one has 8), and it was slow, but I sailed through the project with only a few hiccups. It has Print Shop 22, of course. The whole project was 8" x 21 feet, and it took a couple tries but it successfully saved the whole thing on PDF. I tried Cute PDF which didn't work at all on my Win 7 (64 bit) computer, and it won't save anything to PDF now and frequently crashes, sending the CPU meter off the map. I added the extra port as instructed. I also checked the compatability option, and found Win 7 wasn't even listed. The closest setting which worked best was Vista Service Pack 1. Unless they've got an upgrade patch or something for this I'll just have to use my old computer for PS projects of this magnitude.

John

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 16
RE: Export large file - 10/15/2012 9:54:03 AM   
lindarobin

quote:

... I moved the whole project over to my old backup Win XP computer which is not connected to the internet. It has only 1 gig of Ram (my new one has 8), and it was slow, ... it took a couple tries but it successfully saved the whole thing on PDF.

Hi John,
I'm glad you got your PDF. Many people have had their files get corrupted and their computers crash when working with sizes larger than 50 mb. With only 1 GB of RAM, I'm amazed. Good luck with the printing.

p.s. CutePDF writer does work with Win7. I just used it a minute ago. Bet it works on your Win 7 computer also. Try it on anything normal sized.

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 17
RE: Export large file - 10/15/2012 12:45:25 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi John,

In your last message, it was not clear to me whether your comments were about Cute PDF or the Broderbund PDF driver which is installed with Print Shop 23.1.

As to where you said this:

"I tried Cute PDF which didn't work at all on my Win 7 (64 bit) computer, and it won't save anything to PDF now and frequently crashes, sending the CPU meter off the map."

I am able to use Cute PDF with ALL of my 64-bit Windows 7 programs without a hiccup.

However, if, during the Cute PDF installation, you said NO when you were asked if you wanted to install Ghostscript, that would mean that your Cute PDF installation is corrupt - because, as is stated on the CutePDF web site here

http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

"Requires PS2PDF converter such as Ghostscript"

"I added the extra port as instructed."

Since the extra port is the recommended fix for ONLY the Broderbund PDF driver which is installed with Print Shop 23.1, adding an extra port for Cute PDF is not required.

However, you will definitely want to note that, if any Broderbund software which installs the Broderbund PDF driver was installed AFTER Print Shop 23.1, that installation would have been installed over the Broderbund PDF driver which was installed with Print Shop 23.1. And, in that case, the only way to fix that problem is the a 1) thorough uninstall, 2) computer cleanup and 3) 'clean' reinstall which is recommended below.

"I also checked the compatability option, and found Win 7 wasn't even listed."

If you were referring to Cute PDF, and if you will click on the link below

http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

you will see that Cute PDF supports Microsoft Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista/7/8 (x86/x64).

So, Cute PDF is already prepared for Windows 8.

And, Print Shop 23.1 was upgraded from Print Shop 23 specifically to make it compatible with Windows 7. The only part of Print Shop 23.1 which is not completely compatible with Windows 7 is .NET Framework 1.1 - which is not a factor for your large file problem.

The problems you describe on your Windows 7 computer could very well be the result of either a corrupt installation of Print Shop 23.1 or a problem on your computer. If that is the case, the recommended procedure for fixing those problems is to click on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=41214&mpage=1&key=

then following the directions in that FAQ for performing a 1) thorough uninstall, 2) computer cleanup and 3) 'clean' reinstall.

And, it also couldn't hurt to click on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=26991&mpage=1&key=

then check out the recommended procedures for dealing with Computer Lockups/Freeze. As you will see, many of the recommended procedures in that FAQ are also recommended in the 1) thorough uninstall, 2) computer cleanup and 3) 'clean' reinstall recommendation above.

While the lockups and freezes you are experiencing might be the result of the large file size, when computer maintenance is not performed on a regular basis, the first sign of a major problem is lockups and freezes - which can be related to something as simple as not regularly deleting Temp files.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 10/15/2012 12:46:02 PM >

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 18
RE: Export large file - 10/17/2012 9:10:31 AM   
jps32016

Hello Ladies,

Thanks to you both for your help. I finally found the real problem. The compatability menu for 23.1 did not include Windows 7, so I tried others with varying degrees of response. Finally I checked the Properties menu and there it was! So I set it to Win 7 and now everything works great. Also thanks for the recommendation to Cute for PDF (Broderbund doesn't work at all). It printed an entire 24 page 98 mb test banner project with no glitches. It would not print my original project without dropouts, and the only reason I can figure is that the project was done on my old Win XP computer with Print 22. Somebody else recommnded another PDF program which could not handle more than 30 mb and had a lot of annoying bells and whistles.

John

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 19
RE: Export large file - 10/17/2012 11:35:16 AM   
lindarobin

quote:

... thanks for the recommendation to Cute for PDF (Broderbund doesn't work at all). It printed an entire 24 page 98 mb test banner project with no glitches.

Hi John,

I'm glad the Cute PDF writer saved your Broderbund project. You'll find the Cute PDF writer can create PDFs with embedded fonts when used with other programs. Oddly, there is something about PrintShop 23.1 and earlier that prevents font embedding in every PDF program I have tried.

(in reply to jps32016)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Export/Import >> Export large file Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4