Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Save .jpg at 600dpi

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Export/Import >> Save .jpg at 600dpi Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Save .jpg at 600dpi - 10/15/2013 7:53:01 AM   
skent3@qwest.net

A few of the projects I work on need higher resolution than jpg 300 dpi. A project I save successfully at 300 dpi fails to save at 600 dpi. There may just be certain components that are saved when I view the saved jpg. I have tried a variety of techniques - the less complex project seems to help. It is sporadic as to how it fails, but it becomes apparent there are limitations at play. Is there a way to configure PS 23.1 to always save at the higher resolution, regardless of project complexity? I like the thought of using the full capability of the program, as many features selected as I choose, but need stability and reliability. Is there a solution I can count on? p.s. - I have tried saving (and printing) as pdf, but there are problems here also with reliability.
Post #: 1
RE: Save .jpg at 600dpi - 10/15/2013 10:51:55 AM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: skent3@qwest.net
... Is there a way to configure PS 23.1 to always save at the higher resolution...

The default resolution will always come up 150 dpi. You will have to edit it each time.

Saving a single page 8.5x11 project at 600 dpi is near the limits of this program. Perhaps a program such as PhotoShop Elements would be more appropriate for your needs. In PSE, complex projects with many layers and applied special effects can be simplified and flattened as you work on it. PSE handles higher resolutions well.

(in reply to skent3@qwest.net)
Post #: 2
RE: Save .jpg at 600dpi - 10/15/2013 2:43:05 PM   
skent3@qwest.net

Ok, that is the level truth - thank you. I wouldn't want a program to have limits like this and in this era I have a hard time understanding it - political and financial considerations for sure. I know Adobe Photoshop - but I don't use it enough to be efficient with it - which is where I would like a WYSIWYG product like Print Shop to fill the gap. I would convert to the more WYSIWYG Print Shop 3., but if an engine like this is allowed to hit the market, perhaps the Print Shop 3. engine has similar problems / limitations. I am probably better off to avoid software products from this company and find another one, or invest time to be more efficient in Photoshop. I don't believe Print Shop fits the category of a professional tool, which I am sorry about. Kent

Post #: 3
RE: Save .jpg at 600dpi - 10/15/2013 3:16:00 PM   
ellengard

Professional graphic artists and companies that provide professional printing services use programs costing several hundred dollars.

Print Shop is the affordable, easier-to-learn, at-home desktop publishing program for people who want to make their own greeting cards, newsletters, labels, etc.

It sounds like what you are trying to create, is outside the scope of Print Shop.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 10/15/2013 3:17:41 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Save .jpg at 600dpi - 10/15/2013 3:28:45 PM   
skent3@qwest.net

I am licensed on all the Adobe products, and some I have invested the time in to have developed a good skill level. I pay attention to the task to be done, and how much time each tool takes to accomplish it. Photoshop requires full time attention for a period of time. I don't believe it is the right tool for every desktop publishing task.

I personally couldn't code a product that you can kill with the use of available features. Those features I would not make available so the programs works without crashing. Personally, I feel 600 dpi 10 years ago was something, but today is nothing special. Having a product export it's memory contents (whether cached or not) successfully is a critical requirement of modern coding. To allow Print Shop to be the way it is I don't understand, frankly. Sure it may be money, but is also reflects an attitude and policy.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 5
RE: Save .jpg at 600dpi - 10/15/2013 4:33:38 PM   
ellengard

quote:

I am licensed on all the Adobe products... Photoshop requires full time attention for a period of time. I don't believe it is the right tool for every desktop publishing task.

InDesign is Adobe's desktop publishing program.

Post #: 6
RE: Save .jpg at 600dpi - 10/15/2013 4:40:28 PM   
ellengard

quote:

Having a product export it's memory contents (whether cached or not) successfully is a critical requirement of modern coding.

In fairness, if you export at 300 dpi, there is no problem. 300 dpi is standard for high quality, at home printing.

Post #: 7
RE: Save .jpg at 600dpi - 10/15/2013 5:17:45 PM   
skent3@qwest.net

I might suggest remove 600 dpi then, remove save to pdf, and remove options for "deluxe" and "professional" versions of the program. It really is unacceptable to have a professional program crash, isn't it? It must be a complete rewrite required, or the problems wouldn't be there in 2013, after years of this. As a coder of the product, I wouldn't sleep at night. By having two or three headlines with "features" added, I can crash it.

I appreciate your reply and know that you are right - it is targeted at the low-end consumer, but frankly it has more potential to create nice projects quickly - something a professional is looking for to make money with. Not sure I agree with 300 dpi - reminds me of SD versus HD video. The days of SD and 300 dpi may have passed us by.

I am familiar with In-Design for layouts, and also Illustrator, Premier, and After-Effects. My worst nightmare would come true ... merge Adobe and Broderbund. Software with an attitude :)

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 8
RE: Save .jpg at 600dpi - 10/15/2013 9:22:11 PM   
ellengard

This forum is not monitored by any Encore employees. To submit suggestions:
http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=40873

Post #: 9
RE: Save .jpg at 600dpi - 10/16/2013 10:09:48 AM   
JasonC

quote:

I am licensed on all the Adobe products, and some I have invested the time in to have developed a good skill level. I pay attention to the task to be done, and how much time each tool takes to accomplish it. Photoshop requires full time attention for a period of time. I don't believe it is the right tool for every desktop publishing task.

I personally couldn't code a product that you can kill with the use of available features. Those features I would not make available so the programs works without crashing. Personally, I feel 600 dpi 10 years ago was something, but today is nothing special. Having a product export it's memory contents (whether cached or not) successfully is a critical requirement of modern coding. To allow Print Shop to be the way it is I don't understand, frankly. Sure it may be money, but is also reflects an attitude and policy.

Have you tried to use the Cute PDF solution as we have outlined in previous posts. The low quality resolution issue is known with the Broderbund PDF Printer. Cute PDF also results in higher quality images. Also, FoxIt Reader Free Edition is also another high quality PDF Printer.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

Post #: 10
RE: Save .jpg at 600dpi - 10/16/2013 1:41:21 PM   
skent3@qwest.net

Yes, I appreciate your previous assistance on that ... for a workaround for printing pdf's, it works through 600 dpi. There are problems past that resolution for .pdfs. For argument's sake, why would you need a workaround for pretty basic functionality? I would be kicking the programmers in the tail.

This particular thread relates to saving a .jpg at a higher resolution. One inputs elements, and then you want to output it for your particular need. There are legitimate needs beyond 300 dpi - however those resolutions crash the program.

The best part of PS may be you guys on the forum.

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Export/Import >> Save .jpg at 600dpi Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4