Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.5 >> RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 11/22/2013 5:22:42 AM   
Muphomo

I understand what you are saying. I get that, and it is good to know.

But I've tried again this morning several times and nada.

I open the project. I see the grayed out, unlocked padlock in the upper right-hand corner. I hover the mouse over that padlock and nothing happens. I've tried it over and over. I "hover" - "click" and nothing happens.

Is there a certain setting that needs to be in place (Project, Text, Home....?) I've tried it in all of those modes.

Still. The padlock does not lock. It stays open. Grid lines still move from time to time. (I went through each calendar month prior to trying this, to make sure grid was exactly in place).

I must be dense, and I'm sorry about that, and I hate to keep bugging you, but ....

Outside the blue perimeter line the cursor is an arrow. Inside, over the padlock, it changes to a small square, with outward-pointing points at each corner and a dot in the center. Don't know why I'm describing it, I guess just grasping at straws, trying to give you all the information you might need.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 21
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 11/22/2013 5:26:56 AM   
Muphomo

I open the project. I see the grayed out, unlocked padlock in the upper right-hand corner. I hover the mouse over that padlock and nothing happens. I've tried it over and over. I "hover" - "click" and nothing happens.

Is there a certain setting that needs to be in place (Project, Text, Home....?) I've tried it in all of those modes.

Still. The padlock does not lock. It stays open. Grid lines still move from time to time. (I went through each calendar month prior to trying this, to make sure grid was exactly in place).

I must be dense, and I'm sorry about that, and I hate to keep bugging you, but ....

Outside the blue perimeter line the cursor is an arrow. Inside, over the padlock, it changes to a small square, with outward-pointing points at each corner and a dot in the center. Don't know why I'm describing it, I guess just grasping at straws, trying to give you all the information you might need.

(in reply to Muphomo)
Post #: 22
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 11/22/2013 5:29:47 AM   
Muphomo

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 23
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 11/22/2013 8:57:06 AM   
Muphomo

My apologies, Ellengard, for a triple post. Not on purpose, just trying to make sure I connected with you and I guess I did, three times!

Sorry

(in reply to Muphomo)
Post #: 24
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 11/22/2013 9:32:56 AM   
ellengard

quote:

Outside the blue perimeter line the cursor is an arrow. Inside, over the padlock, it changes to a small square, with outward-pointing points at each corner and a dot in the center.

That's exactly what I see, too. When the cursor displays as a four headed arrow, I position that dot over the open padlock, and that's when I click and the padlock closes.

Let's determine if it's just not working in THIS project. Open a new blank project. Click the Calendar button to add a calendar month to the page. Click the open padlock. Does it close (lock)?

(in reply to Muphomo)
Post #: 25
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 11/22/2013 12:46:04 PM   
Muphomo

I opened a new "practice calendar" project.

On the January calendar I placed the dot over the open padlock and ... nothing.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 26
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 11/22/2013 12:47:21 PM   
Muphomo

... and clicked on the cursor, of course.

Left that phrase out by accident. Didn't want you to think I just "hovered" !

(in reply to Muphomo)
Post #: 27
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 11/22/2013 3:58:10 PM   
ellengard

OK, well, you're not doing anything wrong. It works for me, but not for you, and perhaps it's a minor compatibility issue with Win8. I'm using Win7. It's up to you to decide whether this issue warrants returning the product.

(in reply to Muphomo)
Post #: 28
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 11/22/2013 4:07:33 PM   
Muphomo

Well, obviously not the answer I was hoping for! But that's certainly not your fault.

Since I've put in several hours and have most of the basic stuff already in place, I'll have to give it some thought. Perhaps I'll ask customer service or tech support if they have any suggestions.

I suspect I'll "suffer through to the end" struggling with the grid lines rather than start over.

Regardless, you've been a great help and I've learned more about the program from knowing you than I ever would have learned from the almost non-existent "helps" provided in the software by video "tutorials" etc.!

Thanks again. Your time spent was well worth it to me.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 29
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 12/6/2013 10:12:41 AM   
Muphomo

I opened twelve separate projects, deleting the extra panels, so that the only panel left in panel review was the month in that project.

Then I pulled up the original project (12 calendars, too large file) plus one individual calendar project at a time and transferred contents from the over-size project to the individual calendar project, going back and forth between the two files one graphic or text box at a time. Duplicated that with each month. Time consuming, but it got smoother as I went along. And it worked. I could easily print a copy of each month for quality control. One copy of Jan - Sept is printed.

However, When finishing the Sept. "project", twice I clicked "save" on some minor change in the original too-large file and "Buffer Cannot Be Null" popped up. The second time I realized the connection between my action and that message. Checking tech support, learned that this was due to the 30MB size limit of a single project. I've never seen any mention, caution or warning which would have told me that.

Anyway, I closed it down last night with Jan - Sept "in the can" and when I tried to open it this morning, nothing opens, neither the desktop icon nor the individual files for each calendar month in the Document file. Even the original 45MB 12-calendar file appears to have lost about 40MB. What's gone I cannot tell because nothing will open!

I can recreate the Oct - Dec calendar projects from scratch if I have to, but I can't even open Print Shop to get access to the original information or the Oct-Dec calendar projects!

This post is sent for two reasons. First -any suggestions? And second - regarding my problem putting the calendar grid back in place when I've inadvertently moved it .. I talked to a "techie" at Staples and he suggested trying "Control Z" He said he didn't know about TPS but that worked in Photoshop. So I tried it - that problem solved, it worked.

(in reply to Muphomo)
Post #: 30
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 12/6/2013 11:23:59 AM   
ellengard

Hope you made that backup copy we talked about in post #8.

Control Z is the shortcut key for UNDO. It just undoes your last action which in your case, was to move the grid off center.

I have to leave for work now, so I'll review what you posted later.

(in reply to Muphomo)
Post #: 31
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 12/6/2013 1:07:56 PM   
Muphomo

Yes. After I posted to you, I remembered the backup copy

I hoped to open the backup, delete the first nine months from it, thus eliminating a lot of stored memory in the file and solving the memory problem - then transfer the material from the last three months and move on.

Don't know if that would have worked, but I clicked on it and it did not open either. Hoping there is something I'm missing that would open it.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 32
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 12/6/2013 1:30:14 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Muphomo
...but I can't even open Print Shop to get access to the original information or the Oct-Dec calendar projects!

I am unclear as to your problem. Print Shop has crashed? The program itself will not start? Or do you really mean the program is working fine, just that you can't open your calendar project?

(in reply to Muphomo)
Post #: 33
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 12/6/2013 7:02:40 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Muphomo
I opened twelve separate projects, deleting the extra panels, so that the only panel left in panel review was the month in that project.

Then I pulled up the original project (12 calendars, too large file) plus one individual calendar project at a time and transferred contents from the over-size project to the individual calendar project, going back and forth between the two files one graphic or text box at a time. Duplicated that with each month. Time consuming...

This is how I would do it because it is so much simpler:

1. Open new landscape sign project.
  2. Open big project, go to January page. Ctrl a, Ctrl c (select all, copy).
  3. Ctrl v (paste) into the new sign project. Save as january. Ctrl a, delete.
  4. In the big project, go to February page. Ctrl a Ctrl c .
  5. Ctrl v (paste) into the new sign project. Save as february. Ctrl a, delete.

And so on until you save as december.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 12/6/2013 7:04:20 PM >

(in reply to Muphomo)
Post #: 34
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 12/6/2013 7:14:02 PM   
ellengard

Regardless, it is probably overkill to create 12 different files. I would just take the big file, delete the first six pages and SAVE AS "julytodecember". Then open the big file again, delete the last six pages and SAVE AS "januarytojune".

(in reply to Muphomo)
Post #: 35
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 12/6/2013 8:18:50 PM   
Muphomo

Will try to clarify:

"Print Shop has crashed?" Whether or not that is the situation, I cannot tell. If it has, all the files are in place in document files and in the backup copy. Nothing LOOKS like it has crashed. (What would it look like it it's crashed? :-)

"The program itself will not start?" Correct. Nothing will start. Not the program through the desktop ICON or through document files or the backup copy I made.

"Or do you really mean the program is working fine, just that you can't open your calendar project?" Absolutely not. It is not working fine. I can't open any part of The Print Shop, I cannot open any of the TPS files.

1) I click on the TPS icon on the desktop which I've used to open Print Shop and work on projects.
It will not open. I double click and it sits there .. nothing opens up .. no files become available

2) I open the document files, go to "Print Shop Projects" file and there are all twelve separate calendar projects, plus the original "too-large" file of all twelve months, plus a couple of small poster projects I did for our church.
None - NOT ONE - will open. The entire Print Shop 3.5 software is apparently unavailable. If the entire Print Shop software has crashed you wouldn't know all files everywhere are in place. Just nothing happens when I click on them.

I can't do anything with anything - so I can't "take the big file, delete the first six pages and" save as ANYthing.
And, anyway, I've already (the long way around, apparently) saved all twelve calendars, with the contents transferred to all but Oct - Dec. I even printed one copy each of the first nine months. The work on them is done, with the exception of being able to transfer the contents from Oct/Dec in the big file to each separate Oct/Dec file. I was well on the way to doing that when "Buffer Cannot Be Null" popped up. Perhaps if I'd stayed with it (it was late) I would have finished them, but they still may all have been "dead" this morning.

I WAS going to open the big file and delete the first nine months (Jan - Sept are done and ready to print, if I could get to them), thinking that would solve the memory problem and I could get to the Oct-Dec contents. From what you are suggesting, it sounds like that would have worked. But now I'm unable to open any of it.

As I said, I did open the backup copy (which I did make!) and the files will not open from that either. Got excited when I remembered I had the backup, and was doubly disappointed when that didn't work either.

If I can't get them back, I'm "dead in the water." My wife wants me to just quit, but the thought of not distributing the family calendar to thirty families is one I just can't entertain.

And I was so excited that I was getting the project done!

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 36
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 12/6/2013 9:20:08 PM   
JasonC

You can always insert the disc and do a repair install. I don't know what bearing or effect that will have on the program but its certainly worth a try. Did you mention you already had a backup of the files too?

Sounds like something in the program went corrupt or otherwise bad.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to Muphomo)
Post #: 37
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 12/6/2013 9:41:44 PM   
ellengard

First order of business is to get the program to run. That is a technical problem and you should submit a tech support ticket for help.
http://support.encore.com/technicalsupport/tech_support_frm.aspx?product_id=3256

As far as tech problems go, my usual course of action is to clean up my computer (run disk cleanup, disk defrag, registry cleaner, check for viruses/malware, etc.) If my program still won't start up, I completely uninstall it, then do a clean install. That means turning off all other programs including anti-virus, so those programs won't interfere with the install process.

quote:

What would it look like it it's crashed?

A crash in computing is an event in which a computer or a program ceases to function properly, often exiting after encountering errors.

You mentioned you were getting error messages and then things stopped working. So yes, your program has crashed.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 12/6/2013 9:44:37 PM >

(in reply to Muphomo)
Post #: 38
RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar - 12/6/2013 10:23:39 PM   
ellengard

Hi, Jason,

Are you running 3.5 on Win 8? If so, see post #21 regarding locking an element. Just curious to know if it's a Win 8 thing. No problems locking elements in Win 7.

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.5 >> RE: Difficulty in Printing Long TIme Family Calendar Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4