Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Windows 10 Compatibility of much older Program

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Windows 10 Compatibility of much older Program Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows 10 Compatibility of much older Program - 1/24/2016 10:34:10 PM   
GlennSL

My wife has Printmaster Platinum 18 which she dearly loves. She can use it to just about its maximum utility. It is running in Windows 7 on an i-3 processor (64-bit), which again, does everything she needs. We keep getting the notices to upgrade to W10, but I am concerned it will leave her beloved program in the dust. All my legacy programs that ran under Windows 7 run just fine under W10 after I converted, but I don't have that program, and all my programs from office 365 to various graphic and publishing programs are newer than her Printmaster. Will she loose all she has (old prjects) along with the program if we update her OS?

GlennSL
Post #: 1
RE: Windows 10 Compatibility of much older Program - 1/25/2016 12:11:48 AM   
ellengard

Unfortunately, Printmaster 18 is not compatible with Win 10. Although there is a new Printmaster version 7.0 which is Win 10 compatible, v7.0 cannot open v18 projects.

Planning ahead, your wife should start to export her projects to JPG (at highest resolution). Delete any text that you don't want permanently embedded into the JPG. These JPGs can be imported into any Win 10 graphics program.

(in reply to GlennSL)
Post #: 2
RE: Windows 10 Compatibility of much older Program - 1/25/2016 11:47:03 AM   
JasonC

I had a small thought. Is the program version 18 or version 18.1? If it's 18.1, it may be possible to install on Windows 10, the Net Framework Cleanup tool process applies to that just like it does on Print Shop 23.1 under Windows 10 but it's not a guarantee.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to GlennSL)
Post #: 3
RE: Windows 10 Compatibility of much older Program - 1/25/2016 8:02:24 PM   
GlennSL

Thank you. I was afraid of that, despite some postings that said any program that installed and ran on a 64-bit version of W7 would run on 10. It is time for her to change programs, and i appreciate the though about converting projects to JPEGs. The problem is the most new graphics programs are so sophisticated and offer so many choices/options/capabilities my wife does not like them. She does not want to do much more than import images, and text, change a few colors, etc. so most of the programs are overkill. There are a few MS tools I might try, but it looks like a search for a non-complex mew program is in order.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 4
RE: Windows 10 Compatibility of much older Program - 1/25/2016 8:44:40 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: GlennSL
...all my programs from office 365 to various graphic and publishing programs...
She does not want to do much more than import images, and text, change a few colors, etc. so most of the programs are overkill.

Just an idea, but MS Word and Publisher are really easy to use, if she only uses the basic features. I showed a friend how to simply add images and text boxes in Word to make a poster. Set up images as no-wrap and set the margins to zero and it's pretty straight-forward. Even easier with Publisher since images are no-wrap by default.

(in reply to GlennSL)
Post #: 5
RE: Windows 10 Compatibility of much older Program - 1/26/2016 2:07:54 AM   
HomerT

quote:

My wife has Printmaster Platinum 18 which she dearly loves. She can use it to just about its maximum utility. It is running in Windows 7 on an i-3 processor (64-bit), which again, does everything she needs. We keep getting the notices to upgrade to W10, but I am concerned it will leave her beloved program in the dust.

When people ask me for advice about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I always remind them that there is no real need to upgrade to Windows 10 - or to any newer Operating System. As a matter of fact, some people are still using WinXP. And, it is still possible to pre-order a new computer with Windows 7. It all kinda breaks down to the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

(in reply to GlennSL)
Post #: 6
RE: Windows 10 Compatibility of much older Program - 1/26/2016 2:27:47 AM   
HomerT

quote:

Thank you. I was afraid of that, despite some postings that said any program that installed and ran on a 64-bit version of W7 would run on 10.

The only programs that I have not been able to successfully install on my Windows 10 computer that are successfully installed on my Windows 7 computer are those Print Shop and PrintMaster programs which require NET Framework 1.1. And, my Windows 7 computer has been running some very old programs for a very long time - such as Hallmark Card Studio 2, which was released by Sierra Home over 15 years ago.

Since I was able to successfully install older Print Shop and PrintMaster programs (that do not require NET Framework 1.1) on both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, I suspect that those older programs should install quite easily on Windows 10. However, since I no longer have the install disks for those programs, I am unable to test that theory.

(in reply to GlennSL)
Post #: 7
RE: Windows 10 Compatibility of much older Program - 1/26/2016 6:21:01 PM   
HomerT

I must take back what I said earlier about not having access to the install disks for older Print Shop and PrintMaster programs that do not require NET Framework 1.1. I have since discovered and have successfully installed both Print Shop 15 and PrintMaster 15 on Windows 10.

That would indicate that any Print Shop or PrintMaster program which was released without the requirement for NET Framework 1.1 should successfully install on Windows 10. If memory serves, that would be anything earlier than Print Shop 20 and PrintMaster 16.

(in reply to HomerT)
Post #: 8
RE: Windows 10 Compatibility of much older Program - 1/27/2016 8:28:54 PM   
HomerT

When I discovered my stash of older Print Shop/PrintMaster software, I decided that it might be fun to try to determine the cutoff point between the older Print Shop/PrintMaster software and Windows 10. And, surprisingly, the cutoff point appears to be a 32-bit vs 64-bit issue rather than an Operating System issue.

PrintMaster 8.0 and The Print Shop 6.0 - both copyrighted 1999 - will successfully install on a 32-bit version of Windows 10 but not on a 64-bit version of Windows 10.

Print Shop 12 - copyrighted 2001 (the same year as the release of WinXP) - will successfully install on a 64-bit version of Windows 10.

(in reply to HomerT)
Post #: 9
RE: Windows 10 Compatibility of much older Program - 1/3/2023 3:40:07 PM   
danielusa

I enjoyed your article very much. You have provided a lot of good and interesting information for me and everyone. Thank you very much. fall guys

(in reply to HomerT)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Windows 10 Compatibility of much older Program Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4