Windows 10 error for PM 7 (older version) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM General Functionality

LarryB -> Windows 10 error for PM 7 (older version) (9/1/2020 8:02:08 PM)

I created some great projects in PM7 on Win 7. We upgraded to Win 10 and I find that the projects work right. I saved the program folders and read about how to reinstall these programs. PM 11 is not supposted to work on Win 10 because of Windows Framework 1.1 or something. So I went to install Win 7 but got an error for some kind of dll. Then I tried to reinstall PM 11 (clean install) and it works great except that it cannot find the artwork like a bmp file I used. The directory structures are different between 7 and 11 with 7 having the USERPROJ folders and while 11 does not. Any suggestions?

THANKS!!

Larry

lindarobin -> RE: Windows 10 error for PM 7 (older version) (9/2/2020 2:14:21 PM)

I'm concerned that PM7, while currently working on Win 10, has perhaps a year before Win 10 updates breaks it. PM7 is after all, over 20 years old.

You say you are running PM7 on Win 10; PM11 on Win 7. If you are trying to open a PM7 project with PM11 or vice versa, but discovering missing images, then there is no technical way of "joining" the art from those two programs that I know of.

Instead, you can open each project in the program that created it and resave with the option to save (embed) all images in the project not just the link to the image. The thing about 20 year old programs is that they typically linked to images rather than save a copy of the image, in order to keep file sizes manageable for the computers of that time.

Planning for the future, you may want to start exporting your projects to JPG (sans text that will require updating), so that when PM7 eventually fails, you can easily recreate your old projects using the JPGs in any graphics program you plan to use.

LarryB -> RE: Windows 10 error for PM 7 (older version) (9/2/2020 3:30:38 PM)

Hi Linda (?),

Thanks for the great input. I like the jpg idea. My first task is to get PM7 working on Win7 again. I have re-installed PM7 using Win's compatability features and now it opens up and give me the HUB. As soon as I press on Ready Made, I get the message that PMX.exe has stopped working. No details given.

Any ideas on how to proceed. I have used the Win7 compatablity settings, Run as Admin. Thanks!!!

Larry

lindarobin -> RE: Windows 10 error for PM 7 (older version) (9/2/2020 3:45:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryB
...My first task is to get PM7 working on Win7 again. I have re-installed PM7 using Win's compatability features and now it opens up and give me the HUB. As soon as I press on Ready Made, I get the message that PMX.exe has stopped working. No details given... I have used the Win7 compatablity settings, Run as Admin.

I don't know, I am not a tech person, I do graphic design. Perhaps it would help to do a complete uninstall of all Printmaster programs on Win 7. Don't forget any PM folders and files left behind. Then do a clean install of only PM7 to eliminate any possible conflict with another PM program.

Of course, keep a backup of your project files.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4