Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

banners

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM Printing Specific Issues >> banners Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
banners - 7/31/2007 6:23:31 PM   
pixiepug

I have recently tried everything, well HOPEFULLY not, to print banners! I was able to print banners on an older Printmaster program on my previous printer. We upgraded to XP professional in the past year and now I do not get a "banner" selection option on my drop down paper-type tabs. I purchased Printmaster 17 thinking the problem was with an older Printmaster program and new XP. That didn't help, so I bought a new printer, an HP Deskjet 6940 that even has a banner icon on the paper tray. That didn't work either. HP and Canon printer tech support now tell me they have no home type printers that will print continuous feed banners longer than 24 inches. Before I was able to print banners on HP Z fold banner paper. My Printmaster 17 Manual seems to list this as an option! What now?
Post #: 1
RE: banners - 7/31/2007 6:34:23 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi pixiepug,

I never really like to give bad news; but, I'm afraid I'm going to have to do so now.

This is what the Broderbund support site says about printing banners on continuous paper:

PrintMaster® supports the ability to print using continuous feed paper; however, the settings for the printer in use must be adjusted to print to continuous feed (banner) paper.

The ability to print to continuous feed (banner) paper is set by the printer. If the printer supports continuous feed printing, that option is found in the printer settings. Contact the printer manufacturer to find out whether the printer supports continuous feed printing, what settings need to be adjusted to print to continuous feed paper, and which type of continuous feed paper is recommended for the printer.

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to pixiepug)
Post #: 2
RE: banners - 7/31/2007 6:47:50 PM   
lindarobin

As Brandy says, it all depends on your printer's abilities. If there is no "continuous banner" option in the Print Setup Properites, you are out of luck.

If you have your other printer that could print on HP Z fold banner paper, PM17 should print banners fine with that.

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 7/31/2007 6:51:58 PM >

(in reply to pixiepug)
Post #: 3
RE: banners - 7/31/2007 8:46:38 PM   
pixiepug

I still have my old printer linked into my computer, an HP 712C that did print banners. I thought maybe changing to XP professional was the problem. Does anyone have a home system that prints banners? What printer and what operating system? Thanks so much for your quick replies Brandy Redux and Lindarobin.

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 4
RE: banners - 7/31/2007 8:59:16 PM   
lindarobin

PM17 and XP are definitely not the problem. If your new printer does not have the continuous feed option, but your old printer does, try using your old printer, but download and install the latest printer drivers for that model.

There's even the slight possibility that the HP Deskjet 6940 also has new drivers available at the manufacturer's website. That might get your banners working.

(in reply to pixiepug)
Post #: 5
RE: banners - 7/31/2007 9:09:52 PM   
pixiepug

It doesn't! I did many banners on this 712C printer and the only thing I really can think of that changed since I printed out a banner was upgrading to XP from Windows 98. I had Printmaster 7.0 (also tried Printshop 20 -- that also DID print banners) and thought I needed an upgrade to 17 to work with XP. Nope. So got the new printer. Nope Re-connected old printer. Nothing. The layout goes along fine but where there used to be a pull down tab for banners there are now loads of different paper types, vellum, photo, etc. but no banner or continuous feed! Is anyone printing banners on newer home type equipment? What operating system, what printer, what program? Many thanks, any help is desperately appreciated!

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 6
RE: banners - 7/31/2007 9:15:58 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi pixiepug,

What lindarobin said about PM17 not being the problem is definitely true. And, although what lindarobin said about XP not being the problem is normally true, XP *might* be a bit of a factor in your case. But, even if it is, the printer DRIVER is actually the biggest part of the problem.

Way back when WinXP was first released in 2001, I had an HP printer that worked quite well for me on Win98SE. But, when I switched to WinXP, and to the WinXP drivers for the old HP printer, that printer would not do many of the things on WinXP that it would do on Win98SE. And, one of the things that printer would not do on WinXP is offer a continuous feed paper option.

Over time, I discovered that WinXP printer drivers for many different brands of printers do not offer a continuous feed paper option, even when the printer drivers for the same printers do offer a continuous feed paper option for Win98SE.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 9/19/2010 8:53:05 PM >

For More Help:

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 7
RE: banners - 7/31/2007 9:24:25 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi again pixiepug,

After I did a little research, I discovered that there are some printers with User definable paper sizes that will allow you to print on paper that is up to 44 inches in length.

So, if the banners you want to print are not longer than 44 inches, you might want to purchase that, or a similar, printer.

If the banners you want to print are longer than 44 inches, please let me know how long you want your banners to be and I'll try to find a printer that can handle that paper size.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/26/2009 8:22:03 PM >

For More Help:

(in reply to Brandy redux)
Post #: 8
RE: banners - 7/31/2007 9:40:07 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brandy redux
Over time, I discovered that WinXP printer drivers for many different brands of printers do not offer a continuous feed paper option, even when the printer drivers for the same printers do offer a continuous feed paper option for Win98SE.

I did not know that, Brandy. That would seem to be the situation here. Darn. I had hoped that updating the drivers on the old HP would be the easy solution.

Post #: 9
RE: banners - 7/31/2007 9:59:44 PM   
pixiepug

XP automatically installed the drivers for the old printer but I also see a manual install option that may pick up the remainder of the functions. I'll try uninstalling and re-installing manually. Will certainly look at the Epson printers if that doesn't work. Wow and WOW again to you both for all your help. This has been very frustrating and your expert help is appreciated way beyond words! THANKS

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 10
RE: banners - 7/31/2007 10:43:08 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi again pixiepug,

I decided to take a look at my two Epson printers (Stylus C86 and Photo R340) and several other Epson printers on the Epson web site. And, I found that the Maximum Paper Size for all of the printers I checked out was 8.5" x 44".

So, if 44" is long enough for you, almost any new Epson printer should work for you. Of course, you will want to check the Specifications before you purchase - just to be sure the Maximum Paper Size for that printer is 8.5" x 44".

One other very nice thing about many Epson printers is that the default margin size is 0.117" on all 4 sides of the paper. And, many of them will print borderless on 4" x 6", 5" x 7", 8" x 10", 8.5" x 11" paper.

For More Help:

(in reply to pixiepug)
Post #: 11
RE: banners - 7/31/2007 10:48:23 PM   
lindarobin

If buying another new printer isn't the best option right now (although those Epsons sound pretty good), you can find a local printer who does banner size prints. Just switch your printer over to PDF. Go to www.cutePDF.com for free download if you don't already have a good PDF writer.

Then you can input the height and width of your banner and your PDF can be taken or e-mailed to the printer.

Depending on how much colour you are using, it could end up costing you less money in ink and paper, plus you'd be getting water-proof laser colour.

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 7/31/2007 10:52:59 PM >

(in reply to pixiepug)
Post #: 12
RE: banners - 7/31/2007 11:02:46 PM   
Brandy redux

Great Idea lindarobin,

I was thinking about asking you if PDF would be a workable option. But, you beat me to it .

For More Help:

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 13
RE: banners - 7/31/2007 11:20:24 PM   
lindarobin

Thanks, Brandy. Guess what? My Lexmark does continuous feed banner printing! Did not even think of it initially because I've never replaced the ink cartridge. I only use my Lexmark for its scanner and camera card reader.

Where I work, we charge only $1.99 for a full colour laser print 11x17 on semi-gloss paper. 11x17 is the largest we do in-house. (We out-source bigger jobs.) You have to admit, it's near impossible to spend less than $1.99 for premium paper and that much ink coverage.

Post #: 14
RE: banners - 8/1/2007 12:02:23 AM   
Brandy redux

COOL lindarobin,

And, after I checked, I discovered that my Lexmark X5470 All-In-One also has a Banner option in Paper Size.

But, I'm kinda in the same boat as you - in that I don't use the Lexmark for normal printing. Instead, I only use it as a stand-alone copier - because if I plug it into my computer it causes the computer to refuse to restart after the power is cut off for any reason (unplugging the outlet or a power outage ). And, even when it's not plugged into the computer, it still cycles annoyingly from time to time (some kinda NVRAM issue - Non-volatile random access memory).

Were it not for the fact that I received the Lexmark as a gift, I'd have tossed it long ago. And, since it's such a headache to use, I definitely wouldn't recommend it. But, all Lexmark printers are surely not as annoying as mine.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 8/1/2007 12:03:40 AM >

For More Help:

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 15
RE: banners - 8/1/2007 5:21:03 AM   
pixiepug

Great advice! I can certainly get another printer. I also have an old HP1120 that I can plug in and may be able to get newer driver downloads. The new HP can go back as I just purchased it. Having a banner printed elsewhere would also work fine. Guess I just got crazed about this since I had no idea that HP and Canon did not support this function. Again, thanks for all the fantastic information!

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM Printing Specific Issues >> banners Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4